Class 800 - Updates

• RMweb Gold

What about a consultantcy? You could be self employed to do that, mind you the taxman will probably want more than a pound of flesh.

I was employed by a consultancy when I was involved with the yellow HST (doing ISA work - Independent Safety Assessment, alas I caused a little bit of an upset to the development engineers' best laid plans as I reckoned their brake performance figures were wrong; an extra day of testing proved my case and led to restrictions on the way the train could be formed when using Mk2 vehicles).  

The Taxman took his pound of flesh, in fact several £s of it :butcher:  (and he's still taking it from my pension from that consultancy)

• RMweb Premium

Lease charges for these are going to be at least 4 times the charge for a 225 set. IIRC lease charges are about 25% of TOC's costs so probable that unregulated fares will have to rise to cover the costs.

Thats largely because the DfT / Treasury made a pigs ear of procurement (and thats putting it mildly). Ironic given the whole reason they did it themselves was the "rip off" nature of RISCOS allegedly.....

Edited by phil-b259

Apologies for the poor quality, but caught the 800 test set running through Newark last night as 5X08 Old Dalby - Darlington.

It appeared to be very quiet compared to the 225 sets.

Edited by Cradgebank

• RMweb Gold

What livery does that have at the rear as it kind of looks like the union flag

More like the Croatian flag. But I think it is what Virgin have had "designed". A whole train of that will be pretty hideous and leave people on platforms feeling quite queasy due to the stroboscopic effect it creates.

Edited by Joseph_Pestell

It looks OK, but are they running on electric power at all yet. 

They have been running on electric on the Old Dalby test track and on the ECML under possession as part of the testing and approval process.

Most of the videos appear to be of positioning moves to/from OOC and KX, where they are probably not yet approved to run off the overhead juice.

• RMweb Premium

It was on the ECML last night, Peterborough to Doncaster and return. Passed Maxey crossing very slowly on, apparently, diesel power at about 10:42 running 19 early. It is currently being diagrammed as a Express Sprinter (158) according to Real Time Trains. Return run was completed 49 early having started 14 early.

The livery is definitely not the Virgin one on one power car but appears to be red script of some sort.

Didn't really appreciate it was something out of the ordinary apart from the twin HID headlights, it was only as it came properly into view that I realised what it was.

It is running with a full set of seats fitted now.

Edited by Richard E

....The livery is definitely not the Virgin one on one power car but appears to be red script of some sort....

It was probably the 5 car set (800002) shown in the video in post 281 and photo linked to in post 284 above.

• RMweb Premium

I don't think so...wasn't that rule changed?

As I understand it the need for yellow warning panels has been removed. Wonder if any operator will get rid of them when maintenance repaint becomes due.

Wonder if this means the writing is on the wall for the can't rail stripe too.

In this world of "health and safety gone mad" where we are making entrance doors to trains more obvious by painting them a different colour to the rest of the train, you'd think making approaching trains more obvious by keeping the warning yellow front ends would also be a wise thing to do.

Just my opinion..

Edited by cornish trains jez