Class 800 - Updates

2. Don't see why there would be a hike in ticket prices specifically linked to these, open tickets are regulated in price so can't be hiked beyond the rate that the government selects, advance tickets are all about getting bums on seats to use up spare capacity, and this fleet will increase the number of seats so that would be counterproductive...

Lease charges for these are going to be at least 4 times the charge for a 225 set. IIRC lease charges are about 25% of TOC's costs so probable that unregulated fares will have to rise to cover the costs.

And if you dramatically increase unregulated fares, largely sold to those who aren't a captive market, you will find fewer passengers, and they won't pay the bills by running empty trains.

It may be a big chunk, but I think it's as arguable they will not dramatically change and they plan to cover that by dramatically increasing the number of passengers. From memory thats what happened at West Coast, and also initially at Cross Country before the increase in passengers outstripped the increase in train capacity!

That would be the only scenario where I could see them heading dramatically up, when they become full. And by the time that happens HS2 will be under construction to increase capacity further...

• RMweb Gold

Wow that's a lengthy move.  Whatever happened to the link from North Pole to the West London line?  Was it taken out of use?

Cheers,

Paul

I had a good look (in so far as that is possible from a passing train on the GWML) yesterday - the signals are still there on the lines direct from the servicing shed but there are some large STOP boards between them and the junction which suggest all is not usable on that side.  The connection over the old Victoria Branch formation seems to have gone.  All of which suggests that units for the ECML will not use North Pole unless the connections are reinstated.

Must go and check what has been said about the spec of these, but my understanding is that the two driving coaches carry the pantographs and the transformers with all the intermediate coaches identical mechanically with the raised floor for the big MTU engines. So a 9 coach one could have 7 diesel engines.

It could, but a 9-coach class 800/1 (and 802/1) has 5 MTU engines and two intermediate trailers (between the driving coaches). Sorry if this photo has been shown on here, it shows the two intermediate trailers with Hitachi internal framed bogies 

(Also, again sorry if it has been said - the Azuma livery was a 'launch' livery only - in the style of a red curtain coming off the grey train. The VTEC 800/801s / VT Azumas shall be in a different livery and not grey :D !!!)

25265084013_b07a9ecdb6_b.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

It could, but a 9-coach class 800/1 (and 802/1) has 5 MTU engines and two intermediate trailers (between the driving coaches). Sorry if this photo has been shown on here, it shows the two intermediate trailers with Hitachi internal framed bogies 

So that's 5 x 750 =3750hp?

Presumably the 5 car with full fat engines will be 3 x 940 = 2820hp (and no unpowered trailers)?

Keith

Well yes... (Sorry only know the Kw output not the BHP due to bi-modes being basically electric units)

The 800/1 has its MTU power pack (12V 1600 R80L) down-rated to 560Kw = 2800

Whereas the 802/1 is as the PR says 'up-rated' (small print - to the original rating of the power pack!) at 700Kw = 3500

This does allow for the 'IEP' (800) to access 'contingency' power by 'up-rating' the 560Kw to 700Kw if one of the five power packs fails, leaving 4 packs providing the loss of 560Kw. Very smart design!

(Does mean the 802/1 under a power pack failure, does not have any contingency power - but can achieve a higher speed under diesel mode over the 801).

Same logic of power applies to the 5 coach 800s and 802s (And not the 801/0s which shall be delivered bi-mode), just minus two power packs. Does mean under a power pack failure on the 5 coach 'IEP' 800s there shall be a 50% loss in power as the up-rated contingency represents 280Kw rather than 560Kw on the 9 coach. Means the 9 coaches on a IEP 800 with power pack failure shall just continue on, though I am sure the 5 coaches under such circumstance shall too.

I do not know about anyone else here, but I have been lobbying Hitachi for the last 3 years to select the best model manufacturer, who shall deliver detail over compromised 'toy'. Read into that as wished, the Japanese are just about as keen modellers as us!

Edited by 159220

I do not know about anyone else here, but I have been lobbying Hitachi for the last 3 years to select the best model manufacturer, who shall deliver detail over compromised 'toy'. Read into that as wished, the Japanese are just about as keen modellers as us!

In that case it wouls be Kato, fine as long as it's 1:148 or 1:152 and not 1:160.