Class 800 - Updates

• RMweb Gold

But Woolmer says they'll be great to travel in, and he knows everything about railways ever. That's why the BBC always use him as a rent-a-quote on railway stories.....

Unlike Sky and ITV, who haven't even bothered to report the story.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Plus more on Flickr of 800001 at Old Dalby:

(Apparently 800002 arrived on the 1st May at Southampton - but no matter how much I google, I dont find a pic yet!)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/harrysavage/17298983436/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/harrysavage/17137148408/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/harrysavage/17298978816/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/harrysavage/16704677553/

Beautiful train, I cannot wait for the model! (Just please Hitachi, don't let Hornby model it!)

• Like 3

Would like to see a video of it, apparently it has quite a whine to it.

That's just the sound of the naysayers and doom merchants, moaning and making negative comments.

..... I cannot wait for the model! (Just please Hitachi, don't let Hornby model it!)

I agree 100%

Unfortunately I think they will.

• RMweb Premium

That's just the sound of the naysayers and doom merchants, moaning and making negative comments.

I agree 100%

Unfortunately I think they will.

Unfortunately? Sounds like being a naysayer and doom merchant, moaning and making negative comments to me.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Its Hornby territory, but I think Ron means that it'll be made to trainset standard rather than full spec.

I think there's scope for a railroad/ trainset one. Lets face it this is going to be the standard express train on many regions for some time to come , so we need a trainset for youngsters( and some oldsters). Bachmann could maybe make the fullspec one, but it is a multiple unit so is likely to cost a pretty penny.

• RMweb Gold

Hornby did a pretty good job with the Class 395 Javelin, with both trainset and "posh" versions. As the Class 800/1 has a lot of commonality, I'm sure it will be even better.

Maybe we'll even get an N Gauge version at the same time!

We've got a while before the production trains appear in the final livery, so there's no panic yet.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'd hope that if there's enough demand for both a trainset version and a more accurate one then both will appear. Is there enough market overlap for the existance of one to shut out the other?

Hornby's standard model Class 395 Javelin is distinctly mid-fi and not to high standards. It's a decent job, but falls well short of the best.

The cheaper model (now discontinued) was poorer than normal train set standards, very basic, quite tacky and really aimed at the Olympic souvenir business.

Personally I'd expect Hornby would follow their previous policy if they do the Class 800 and make it to train set standards, like their Pendolino, (standard version) Javelin, Class 373 Eurostar and previous HST train sets.

Sadly I think its appearance in a red box in such form will almost certainly guarantee a high quality version will never see the light of day.

I understand tomorrow night , Wednesday 6th May, will be the first nights testing on the ECML, it will depart Old Dalby being dragged to Tallington by 66751, then should do around 4 hours of test runs between Peterborough and Grantham before being dragged back to old Dalby on Thursday morning.

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/K97155/2015/05/06/advanced

• Like 1

I understand tomorrow night , Wednesday 6th May, will be the first nights testing on the ECML, it will depart Old Dalby being dragged to Tallington by 66751, then should do around 4 hours of test runs between Peterborough and Grantham before being dragged back to old Dalby on Thursday morning.

Tallington?

Take it the 66 will run round at Peterborough then head north again before letting the 800 loose?

The sidings at Tallington are not electrified, so will this be testing bi-mode?

Is the track at Old Dalby accessible anywhere, or is it all very secret?

By the fact the actual test track runs for around 12 miles in open countryside, there are lots of places to view from, study Google maps and you will find a few.

The facility where the IEP class 800 is based is actually at the site of the old Asfordby mine and is serviced by a short branch off the main test track.

The sidings at Tallington are not electrified, so will this be testing bi-mode?

Or they'll just stop on the down fast, and use the crossover to detach the 66 and move it out of the way. Remember that this is happening under a line possession, so they'll have exclusive use of the ECML. 

Edited by pete_mcfarlane

The SET was in the run round loop at the very north end of the test track last night near Edwalton, with a GBRf class 66 running round it. The northern cab was on the bridge over the A52 as I drove under it.

ROB

Cancelled tonight due to the continued coupling issues with the Delner arrangement fitted to 66751.

IEP 800 001 ran last night for the first time on the ECML, it departed Old Dalby at 22.07 and arrived at Tallington at 00.27, running as 5E98 dragged by 66751 and then commenced test runs between Tallington and Grantham.

Testing was completed and the unit was dragged back from Tallington to Peterborough at 04.13, and then after running round departed East field at 05.27 running back to Ols Dalby as 5M98.

After an early start this morning, fortunately there was just about enough light to get some reasonable pictures as the unit headed past Marholm at 05.33.

post-1685-0-60594900-1431497882_thumb.jpg

post-1685-0-58092900-1431497897_thumb.jpg

post-1685-0-97488200-1431497913_thumb.jpg

post-1685-0-24207000-1431497935_thumb.jpg

post-1685-0-54014700-1431497951_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

I'm still wondering why it's running Tallington to Grantham.

This to do with Stoke Summit?

Or signalling change over between Peterborough PSB and Doncaster?

Relatively easy to access from Asfordby, so the maximum of time for testing.

Facilities to turn-back at both ends.

Doesn't block access from Felixstowe to Midlands via Ely/ Peterborough/Leicester, which is probably the only overnight traffic.

Stoke Tunnel to monitor the aerodynamics; once there's a second set available, I wouldn't be surprised to see them doing tests with sets passing one another at speed there.

The line's straight enough for them to try speeds in excess of current maximum; if the sets are required to be capable of 140 mph, then the +10% margin requires a maximum of 154 mph.