Class 800 - Updates

With the nose cone retracted to reveal the coupling there is not a lot of yellow visible on the front end. Would it be allowed to run like that (forwards of course!)?

ROB

Pendolinos do, it's lights are all visible so it would be seen.

Yes, but I thought there was a standard area of yellow that must be met. Maybe it does and the standard area is smaller than I thought.

ROB

One question regarding the IEP/Class 800. Why the lack of plug doors. The aerodynamics of the sides of the vehicles appear to be compromised by recessed sliding doors. Surely this adds wind resistance, and (for those neighbouring main lines) wind noise of these trains running. Surely a step backwards from the smooth profile of a Mk4, Pendolino, Plug Door Mk3, Voyagers etc (indeed every front line mainline stock to date)?

Given that nearly all modern stock (except for recent 'metro' type operations) has flush doors, why does our new flagship stock lack this feature?

I noticed this when initial computer mockups were released, but assumed a rough cut of the Javelin. Shocked to see this feature retained on the final trains.

According to MR and uncle ford, hitachi used sliding doors because they think the are more reliable than plug doors. They are also fitted with a ram system that seals the door against the doorway after closing so there is no movement at speed.

• RMweb Premium

The door arrangement is pretty much the standard arrangement on the Shinkansen trains and has a reputation as a simple, effective and extremely reliable arrangement. That said Hitachi are softening to plug doors.

The 395s have pocketed sliding doors on an almost identical cross-section and routinely reach 140mph without any apparent problems. 

However plug doors would have increased the width at either end of the saloon where the door pockets are and the seats therefore don't have armrests.  They might even have allowed the window to extend into what will be a blank wall.   I believe the Hitachi units for Scotrail will have them. 

The 395s have pocketed sliding doors on an almost identical cross-section and routinely reach 140mph without any apparent problems. 

However plug doors would have increased the width at either end of the saloon where the door pockets are and the seats therefore don't have armrests.  They might even have allowed the window to extend into what will be a blank wall.   I believe the Hitachi units for Scotrail will have them.

I'm led to believe that the reason why the IEP has these sliding pocket doors is because Hitachi (being Japanese) believe that European made sliding plug doors are not reliable enough for them. The ScotRail and successive UK AT100 units however will, after some heavy convincing and testing by Wabtec Rail at Doncaster, will feature European made sliding plug doors.

So does the thing reverse in Grantham station at the end of its runs? Living within walking distance of the station I'm wondering if it's worth an early morning/late night bimble over there for a look!

It would need to run into the station, or adjacent goods line, in order to use the main to main just south of the station.

The only other main to mains between there and Tallington are the emergency crossovers at Stoke Summit

It would need to run into the station, or adjacent goods line, in order to use the main to main just south of the station.

The only other main to mains between there and Tallington are the emergency crossovers at Stoke Summit

Great news, thanks!

So does the thing reverse in Grantham station at the end of its runs? Living within walking distance of the station I'm wondering if it's worth an early morning/late night bimble over there for a look!

Real Time Trains shows it ran again last night and is timed for tonight as well.

Arrives at Tallington Jct just after midnight.

• RMweb Premium

According to MR and uncle ford, hitachi used sliding doors because they think the are more reliable than plug doors. They are also fitted with a ram system that seals the door against the doorway after closing so there is no movement at speed.

Indeed - All the Shinkansen trains in Japan feature sliding rather than plug doors - as does the Hitachi built 'Javelins' used on HS1

Traditionally one of the big criticisms of UK sliding doors is the lack of a good seal, and naturally to the unknowing, a IEP fitted with the same rattlely doors as, say a 319 unit, will seem to be a retrograde step over the plug doors fitted to the Mk4 or Pendalino fleet. However as you state with the right technology its easy to fix and as such there is no need to be worried about the return to sliding doors on the IEP.

Edited by phil-b259

• RMweb Premium

Funny, but a rubbish attempt to recreate a Javelin to look like a Class 800.

It may be a long way from being accurate, but I admire the desire to have a go at making a representation of the UKs latest generation of High Speed train.

Given the overall similarity in looks, plus Hornbys track record of producing flagship passenger trains it is also perhaps a fortatse of things to come model wise.

The impression I had was that the only external similarity between the class 800 and the class 395, was expected to be the end cabs and front profiles; but it appears they are quite different.

Different windscreen shape, different lights in a different position, completely different windscreen wipers, slightly different nose profile, different shaped coupler doors and different deflector skirts/fairings. The class 395 also has those bulges on the lower nose side, that the 800 doesn't have.

I must admit surprise as I'd only expected minor differences, such as the light units.

• 2 weeks later...