Class 800 - Updates

Bit of a surprise as I wandered down to the platform.

I'll bet it was.

I'm still surprised that photos and video are still sparse, considering these units are now out and about, or to be seen at Old Dalby.

Here is another video, showing both of the first trains at Old Dalby. They appear exactly 9 minutes into the video, but there's no movement.

• RMweb Premium

According to Real Time Trains this was 5M98 pathed Tallington to Old Dalby via a reversal at Peterborough. Due out of Peterborough at 05:48, actual departure 08:17. Was due into Peterborough from Tallington at 05:10 but appeared at 04:33.

I know we shouldn't speculate but was the early arrival and late departure due to problems or a successful test?

Oh, there was a very bored looking driver in the cab of the 66. It was showing red lights to both ends of the consist by the way.

EDIT - it seems it is due back tonight at 23:28 arrival, depart for Tallington at 23:58 and again tomorrow.

Edited by Richard E

Any idea why they keep moving it to and from Old Dalby every day, rather than just parking it at Grantham or Peterborough? Is it being tested during the day as well?

I suspect it spends its time at Old Dalby wired up to computers, checking up the readings from all the sensors on board. Also, they're probably a bit wary of leaving it anywhere too public for fear of vandalism/graffiti.

I suspect it spends its time at Old Dalby wired up to computers, checking up the readings from all the sensors on board. Also, they're probably a bit wary of leaving it anywhere too public for fear of vandalism/graffiti.

And maybe because if it sits in a siding with a 37 attached to it someone might get the wrong idea (in the non rail media) that it is broken down and report that Britain's new High Speed Train is rubbish leading to pictures of APTs and such like.

And maybe because if it sits in a siding with a 37 attached to it someone might get the wrong idea (in the non rail media) that it is broken down and report that Britain's new High Speed Train is rubbish leading to pictures of APTs and such like.

There are elements of the railway media every bit as capable of mis-representing something like that as the general press...

• Like 1

Any idea why they keep moving it to and from Old Dalby every day, rather than just parking it at Grantham or Peterborough?

they dont want to come back and find it on bricks with its wheels nicked! :jester:

• RMweb Gold

Fortunately I had business in Peterborough when it ran on Tuesday night, 9th June.

800001 sits in the goods loop at Peterborough shortly after arrival as part of 5E98, 22:03 Old Dalby to Tallington Junction.  66751 had been detached and was running round ready to haul 800001 on to Tallington Junction.

I managed to catch the return working the following morning.  In early morning light, 5M98, 0457 Tallington Junction to Old Dalby, approaches Werrington Junction with 66751 leading.

• Like 19

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've just spotted it in the depot at North Pole as I flew past on a 360. Acton mainline more interesting though! ;)

I wonder when testing on GWML will commence?

Guy

Don't they need to electrify it first? I thought it was running months (years?) late and there was now a distinct possibility that trains would be delivered with no place to run , requiring temporary storage.

• RMweb Premium

Don't they need to electrify it first? I thought it was running months (years?) late and there was now a distinct possibility that trains would be delivered with no place to run , requiring temporary storage.

Apparently according to today's rail express all gwml class 800s are going to be delivered as bi mode class 801 and will then be converted back once the wires are in place.

Could always run to Hayes and back! :D

• Like 1

Apparently according to today's rail express all gwml class 800s are going to be delivered as bi mode class 801 and will then be converted back once the wires are in place.

Really? 800101 is a 800/1 and thus bi-mode. The 801 is an EMU.

• RMweb Premium

Really? 800101 is a 800/1 and thus bi-mode. The 801 is an EMU.

Must have got it wrong way round. Upshot is all will be delivered bi-mode to enable them to enter service before the wires r finished. Which is what rail express said.