Class 800 - Updates

That seems to be the trend nowadays on news reports - everyone using a train is a "commuter" rather than a passenger/customer etc.

The railways really need to keep up.

Passengers should now be referred to as Guests.

:no:

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Dunno why they were looking so grumpy, they at least got a table.............

John

... and a free journey as I very much doubt that any of them paid for their tickets out of there own pockets. 

Clearly sir you are an employee of the DFT sent here to peddle misinformation.

These trains can only be bad, they are not a HST therefore they are bad bad bad

10 coaches with seats versus 7.5 from an HST is always going to be a winner to be honest, I have had my fill of being stood in a vestibule for the first 30 mins of my journey home. I expected the delays this morning to be honest, they will bed down so I for one won't be sad to see the HSTs go.

• RMweb Gold

And to be honest, apart from the guy staring at the lady on the opposite side of the gangway, the others all look as if they're just carrying on a normal conversation.

Yes, most people do look grumpy when they're on a modern train these days.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Not even the track is Dawlish-proof. I'm sure after the voyager situation they'll be as resistant as possible to the conditions there though.

I am equally touched by your faith in the ability of grown-ups to learn from their past mistakes.

I speak as someone who spent a considerable portion of a 35 year railway career trying to mitigate against the effects of those abominations.

The formation that got washed away in 2014 is definitely 'Dawlish-proof' now, by the way. It's not going anywhere!

• Like 3

Quite a few enthusiasts (and possibly one or two railway modellers) were planning to be on this first trip.

Perhaps the new fangled electronic detection system picked up a particularly foul smelling odour and set off the new power wash facility?

So the new trains have three classes, first class, standard class and bathroom class.

Geoff Endacott

GWR new strapline: "When First Class is full, no worries with the new IEP, the great unwashed in pilchard class now get free showers so you don't need to hold your nose"

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The railways really need to keep up.

Passengers should now be referred to as Guests.

:no:

As a Guest by name I can go along with that.

However the question that I really NEED to know the answer to is whether or not 800's will go safely through the new Peco bullhead points.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208

BBC South news lunchtime called them the new commuter trains on the western!

From Swindon, Didcot and Reading (and possibly further afield) that's exactly what they are !

One would have hoped that serious issues with the air-con and pantograph would have been picked during testing, not on a high-profile public run with senior politicians on board ! Unless, of course, it was a cunning plan, and somebody was whispering in Mr Grayling's ear, 'this is the problem with bi-mode trains sir, it wouldn't happen if they were all-electric'.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Having caught up with the posts above, here is my review of the IET.

1A11 was shown as "right time" on the CIS at Chippenham, but while the system did show that it was a 10 coach Intercity Express Train that didn't mean much to the passengers, to the extent that the passengers expecting 6 standard class Mk3s found 1 and a bit coaches of 1st class on the IET meaning the rear of the train was busy and the front empty. But Bath Spa had phoned Chippenham and the dispatcher not only made a PA announcement to that effect she came along the platform explaining that the front five coaches had plenty of space. Excellent service! She was also helping people with reservations find their coach, but adding "we're not quite used to these yet, so you might need to move along a little when it arrives".

Once on the train we were soon on our way, with plenty of leg room in my chosen "airline" seat. I had 1/4 pillar, 3/4 window. Interior noise levels were low, and remained so not only as the train moved off but also so as it accelerated, at quite a rate. We had a check at Wootton Bassett Junction resulting in a near stand, and the driver made cautious approaches to each station stop - understandable with new traction.

Into our stride through the Vale of the White Horse the ride was rock steady, and very quiet. Engine noise is a subdued whine, wheel noise is pretty much non-existent, but with all those sounds deadened wind noise was audible. But, I was listening very hard, and as you reduce the big noises the small ones will appear. We lost more time at Didcot to slow release of the doors (rear two cars not unlocked due to platform works). There were numerous GWR staff passing up and down the train, both uniformed and "suits": none interacted with the public, and none handed out the IET leaflets most were carrying. 

After Reading, and now with a near full seated load, I was eagerly anticipating the change from diesel to electric. It happened, but I couldn't say when! The whine which I had attributed to the engines, now seemed to actually be the traction motors. We were severely checked at Ealing Broadway, which produced a noise from the rheostatic brakes, and the subsequent acceleration on electric was noisier too. Certainly not loud, but actually at a higher volume than on diesel - a result of more power being available perhaps?

We arrived at Paddington 10 minutes late, but I wouldn't ascribe any of that to the traction. In some ways the trip was disappointing. It was so mundane. The train is modern, quiet, ultra smooth and a step change - yes even from a Mk3. But despite all the staff on board, there was no celebration, no comment. All the announcements are pre-recorded (as you'd expect) but no one made an additional announcement to say that this was the first day of IETs. 

Coach C: looking forward

post-5204-0-64598400-1508172771_thumb.jpg

looking back

post-5204-0-52270500-1508172772_thumb.jpg

First class in the driving car. The galley is between the cab and the saloon, and 1st class seating extends into part of the next car

post-5204-0-69377000-1508172774_thumb.jpg

Proof we arrived on electrickery

post-5204-0-41743500-1508174184_thumb.jpg

Two 5-car sets only just fit!

post-5204-0-64337400-1508172773_thumb.jpg

Platform publicity

post-5204-0-03549900-1508172776_thumb.jpg

Paper destination labels and reservation tickets - soon to disappear

post-5204-0-32034200-1508172777_thumb.jpg

Paddington line-up - Tornado was there on the VSOE with Paddington Bear and seemingly half the BTP in attendance. I'm guessing there were film stars there with Paddington, but in my day all the human characters in the TV series were cardboard cut-outs!
post-5204-0-34925700-1508172778_thumb.jpg

For my trip home I was booked on the 1345 Swansea as far as Swindon. The IET provided for that service had a rather familiar look to it....
post-5204-0-39342700-1508172779_thumb.jpg
As recorded above the other Diagram managed one trip, so the 1315 Cardiff was cancelled and the set used for the 1345 Swansea. I had a little chat with the driver after he'd started 43002 and we both agreed that it was rather ironic that the original "flying banana" was being asked to sub for an IET.

OK, so the day didn't go as anyone wanted. No doubt there will be internal enquiries, and mass external speculation. But I came away with the opinion that IET is a worthy successor to the Inter-City 125. 

• Like 18

One would have hoped that serious issues with the air-con and pantograph would have been picked during testing, not on a high-profile public run with senior politicians on board ! Unless, of course, it was a cunning plan, and somebody was whispering in Mr Grayling's ear, 'this is the problem with bi-mode trains sir, it wouldn't happen if they were all-electric'.

From the reports I've had from the testing over the past few months has been that the fleet has been very reliable with few issues, this was a totally unknown problem which no one could of foreseen.

The changeover has been tested 2 or three times a day at Maidenhead, at Linespeed, for the past few weeks, with no sign of problems.

Lots of issues only come out after testing, it doesn't mean that it was ignored or missed.

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Paddington line-up - Tornado was there on the VSOE with Paddington Bear and seemingly half the BTP in attendance. I'm guessing there were film stars there with Paddington, but in my day all the human characters in the TV series were cardboard cut-outs!

Seems the Duchess of Cambridge was dancing with Paddington Bear alongside the VSOE - which would explain the BTP attendance.

Thanks for the 'review' - good to have a passenger's views and nice to hear positives about the trains. Especially relieving that the engine noise it's too intrusive, assuming you were in one of the diesel fitted coaches, not and end car. Having been disappointed by Voyagers, I do hope the IEPs are an improvement.

Edited by Ramblin Rich
  • Like 2