Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

Thanks. High praise indeed.

818123295_SirHenryHadynJones.jpg.1d479e004e7e4f427b508b7313d56945.jpg

I knew a few people who kept very untidy desks at work (back in the days of solo offices, before desk sharing and clear desk policies).  The funny thing was, they always seemed to know exactly where to find anything they needed!

Keith

Alton.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 2E Sub Shed said:

Not been there for some years, but JW Toys in the Harris Arcade was a stop off if I was in Reading. Assume they are no longer in business.

Is this it or a successor? Photographed 18.8.2015.

Harris Arcade Collectors Centre Reading 18 8 2015.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, 45655 said:

I knew a few people who kept very untidy desks at work (back in the days of solo offices, before desk sharing and clear desk policies).  The funny thing was, they always seemed to know exactly where to find anything they needed!

Too true but it's a reet bugga when you knock over a bottle of MEK.

P

• Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 4

1 hour ago, Porcy Mane said:

Too true but it's a reet bugga when you knock over a bottle of MEK.

P

A large lump of poster tack, block of wood with a suitable size hole bored into it or a hefty holder for tea light candles.

I don't think that I need to elaborate on how I came to these solutions...

It melts everything before you can retrieve it from the toxic puddle!

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

4 hours ago, Donw said:

Growing up in Reading ( living in Caversham) I am well aware of its bad points. Recent visits (model railway related)  have shown they appear to be trying to make it worse. Although that is true of most places.

Don

I have to agree. I was at Uni there in the early 70s and I really liked the place. Went back for the first time in 45 years last year.......one really should not go back....!!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, 45655 said:

Keith

Alton.

I had a colleague ( @Oldddudders might guess his name) whose desk was piled with paper about 2ft high except for a small rectangle so that he could write. He always knew where everything was and could tell instantly if someone else had disturbed a pile. Once we moved offices and for a week or so we all thought he'd turned over a new leaf, as his desk was almost empty. Then his boxes arrived...

• Like 6

On 15/07/2022 at 21:27, MrWolf said:

A large lump of poster tack, block of wood with a suitable size hole bored into it or a hefty holder for tea light candles.

Aye!

Been there, dun that. Trouble (with me) is, "things" always get in the way...  and then, quite often my fingers don't always respond to commands sent from the head, and regularly respond at unexpected times when no signals are being sent... it makes workbench life quite  entertaining. 😮

IMG_20220717_132058815-GluePotSm.jpg.65f55a86b5b91a646e144e358d8be757.jpg

• Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Gold

Guilty as charged, m'lud, when it comes to untidy work areas.  Occasionally even Johnster The Lord of Entropy gets bothered by it and has a clearout, during which several forgotten items are rediscovered, only to be lost in the mess again a short while later...  It is a simultaneously a symptom and a cause of my generally chaotic thought processes, and I have been trying for years to break out of the vicious cycle, but when I'm doing a job, my mind is so focussed on it that I am completely unaware of where I put things down, and much time is wasted and frustration caused a few minutes later when I want that item again...

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

2 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

Aye!

Been there, dun that. Trouble (with me) is, "things" always get in the way...  and then, quite often my fingers don't always respond to commands sent from the head, and regularly respond at unexpected times when no signals are being sent... it makes workbench life quite  entertaining. 😮

IMG_20220717_132058815-GluePotSm.jpg.65f55a86b5b91a646e144e358d8be757.jpg

S'cuse me, Porcy, but what is that thing with the serrated wheel and where did you get it from? It looks like just the thing for embossing bolt heads into tinfoil corrugated panels.

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, Ruston said:

S'cuse me, Porcy, but what is that thing with the serrated wheel and where did you get it from? It looks like just the thing for embossing bolt heads into tinfoil corrugated panels.

It looks like a leather worker's overstitch tool, used to mark evenly spaced paths for stitching leather. They come in different sizes - some as separate tools, some with changeable wheels.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Ruston said:

S'cuse me, Porcy,

You are excused.

Porcy's Mk1 rivet embosser knocked up about 50 years ago from an old watch gear wheel (I dropped the watch in a P.E. lesson) and some ABS channel. (All that was available back then).

ModellingTools-014-EditSM.jpg.5194509b2a6282edc59cebf873e4d61a.jpg

It still does a reasonable job but has been superseded by infinitely more suitable gadgets from the 21st century. You could try googling "ponce wheel" for the gadget underneath.

This is what Porcy's Mk1 rivet embosser manages.

HonrbyQ6--141-Edit2.jpg.e7ad4c5d08e208e9dac54e885c006632.jpg

Theis are pretty good. Meant for embossing recessed rivets but I find it just as effective at producing raised fixings.

ModellingTools-02-EditSm.thumb.jpg.26b6398b9ff24b70670cbb1d954f179c.jpg

Then there's always Rosie:

RTR_leaflet_9590f519-4d45-4fb6-b2be-662c44e3540e_1024x1024.jpg.075e4670022a6a4eb5da32ad9c9891d7.jpg

and finally my favourite. The George Watts rivet press that produces rivets with infinitely adjustable pitch and depth with results like this.

HonrbyQ6--158-EditSm.thumb.jpg.9f3f6e5df6ef664bd4b2fd53d28899ff.jpg

hth,

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
Put the pix in the right order.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 9

On 15/07/2022 at 14:18, durham light infantry said:

The sponges in question, One of the most useful items in my modelling kit. A sponge on a stick....

20191126_204058.thumb.jpg.426ee5b4a98b005db6131787cbc6688c.jpg

Weren’t they invented by the Romans? Seem to remember that they used sponges on a stick…

Don’t think it was for weathering, though…

🤭😆

• Funny 7

2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Not wishing to be picky, but you should Google pounce wheel rather than ponce wheel,

Captain Mainwaring mode fully engaged.

"I wondered how long it would take you to spot that".

Captain Mainwaring mode OFF.

OOOooooops!

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Weren’t they invented by the Romans? Seem to remember that they used sponges on a stick…

Don’t think it was for weathering, though…

🤭😆

Was that where the expression came from " getting the wrong end of the stick".... 

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Not wishing to be picky, but you should Google pounce wheel rather than ponce wheel, which may produce some alarming results. 

Both spellings are acceptable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1