• RMweb Gold

It is being mainly a long day........

Now back at Temple Meads......best part of the day......

Crikey, thing must be bad  if Temple Meads is the best part of the day. (However I suppose when you consider it as the point of escape from Brizzle it will be seen in a very different, and far more helpful, light)

• RMweb Gold

Really, Stationmaster, I am surprised at you!  TM Is and has always been one of my favourite stations, even when it was polluted by the dreadful Post Office bridge.  A part of the nation's railway heritage on a par with York, St Pancras, or Paddington, and in my day the Buffet on what was then Platform 3 did a pretty decent Welsh Rarebit, and was famous for it's BLT's.

Perhaps you can confirm that there was a time in the 70s when, in order to combat the increasing problem of feral pigeon droppings in the station, some poor sod had the job of going up on the roof walkway every day with a pair of dustbin lids banging them together; I am, half a century later, unsure if this actually happened or was the result of one of my youthful Rest Day evenings of chemical refreshment which I no longer indulge in working on my excuse for a brain.

The contrast with Parkway, a 3rd world council estete hell hole specifically designed to funnel the prevailing winds and capable of making the South Pole look warm and inviting even on a day that is not that bad anywhere else except perhaps Severn Beach, could not be more marked.  It does, admittedly, have the attraction of being a point of escape from not just Brizzle, but probably the least attractive part of Brizzle, though!

Edited by The Johnster

• RMweb Gold

To be fair Temple Meads is by far the most attractive of Bristols still extant stations though Clifton Down is a stunner.

Regretably I didn't have time to linger.

Bristol, in parts is very attractive and I can see a layout similar to Trickys Midland cameo gracing Sheep Towers in the future.

We do like ee Midland in these ere parts my luvver....

Rob.

post-14122-0-67482200-1509826314_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Great set of sheds !!

Thought it might appeal, Stubbers, old fruit.

Somewhat eclectic to say the least.

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The contrast with Parkway, a 3rd world council estete hell hole specifically designed to funnel the prevailing winds and capable of making the South Pole look warm and inviting even on a day that is not that bad anywhere else except perhaps Severn Beach, could not be more marked.

It is indeed difficult to top Severn Beach as a place where the desolation sucks the very happiness out of your soul by the unforgiving wind off the Bristol Channel.

• RMweb Premium

It is indeed difficult to top Severn Beach as a place where the desolation sucks the very happiness out of your soul by the unforgiving wind off the Bristol Channel.

Have you been to Cumbernauld?  Admittedly it's not on the Bristol Channel, but it's a grey and desolate place that'll depress the life out of you!

• RMweb Premium

Bristol in 1963 was a little more interesting. I can see the three sheds in my mind's eye right now. Barrow Road was like a magic place for a poor s#d that had hardly seen any Midland Loco's and the two turntable St Phillip's M was a grimy, desolate but sexcellent place for WR stuff. Bath Road was great for getting thrown out of before you even got near anything but made entertaining viewing from the Station. A Station with true atmosphere. 

I would have liked to have looked at the Dock system but never ventured that far until early this year!!!!!

Phil

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I actually managed a spot of modelling this evening.

Its more in the spirit of rather than a exact replica but I knocked up the running in board for Mutton.

Letters are Slaters 3mm, sanded down before and after gluing down with the board itself out of platicard and plastic square section strip.

It's a bit dainty but once painted and glued in place it should be okay.

Rob.

post-14122-0-25756000-1509920894_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Bath Road was great for getting thrown out of before you even got near anything but made entertaining viewing from the Station.

You mean the entertainment for those on the station was the sight of others getting thrown out of Bath Road?

• RMweb Gold

Progress of sorts..........I liken this to putting transfers on a model.

All of a sudden Mutton truly has a name.

Rob.

post-14122-0-00625100-1510169174_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Nah, looks more like you've just kicked it into the long grass, mate...

You've shamed me into prioritising Cwmdimbath's running in board, and signal box nameboard, as my next projects; the station is liable to have an identity crisis otherwise, and we can't have that!  Besides, how will the trains know where they are?

Actually, the station is a bit ramshackle and basic, and could do with an overall rethink.  The building isn't too bad, but the platform surface is very crude and needs redoing.  I may rip the whole platform out and replace it with something better, as this might well be easier than faffing about with the rough surface I've got.  I'm not a brilliant modeller, but I can do better than this!

Edited by The Johnster