• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Why do we not have comedy like this any more?

Because it's too intellectual for the dumbed-down taste that brings in the most viewers. Making the BBC compete for ratings was the death of broadcasting quality in favour of populism. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 12

• RMweb Gold

Quite right Dudds. We now have a quasi commercial BBC behaving like it needs to survive on advertising whilst robbing us blind for license fees. Meantime we have totally commercial Sky producing some wonderful dramas, films and documentaries. Time for the license fee to be scrapped im my view and I think the squit over charging the elderly will be the last straw....

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

Ahem. 

Can we please  steer clear of anything likely to stray into the political realm....

Plenty of that elsewhere at present.

Here we like to escape such matters

I thank you. 

Rob. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 9
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Assisted by the Works Forecat and inspired by Alan {Westerner}, I have been foraging  in the garden today. 

Photos to follow but for now, a view of the WFC carrying out the mandatory supervision of the works in progress. 

Rob. 

20200324_111944-01.jpeg

I can see now why the bank on Sheep Dip has ridges...

• Like 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

So 13 likes last time! So perhaps risky post 3!

A weathering test piece a photo prop I use on the airfix vans. To note the HO sleeper spacing.52EB293F-4A8C-48D1-9AAA-0FACFD301A38.jpeg.8cf0c52602723771155dbe77cd4413d9.jpegC12E8CB8-FE92-4187-A77F-69E945D12FD8.jpeg.c3b718998a60cf4a7e2bdae81c749c93.jpeg

Had a weathering trial in what will be the engine shed so will mainly be hidden!

reasonably happy but I was a bit heavy handed with the rattle can and lost the sleeper grain detail so need to somehow address that, trialing with a fibre pen wasn’t a success the plastikote comes off  before it’s wears down.

D7805E69-EDB1-4344-89F4-9D0FB2D339E4.jpeg.4b4b1b10dbf6fb401128d354977471c2.jpeg

Thanks Rob.

Cheers all.

Edited by AdeMoore
Pt
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Evening all. 

An experiment tonight. 

A tree for Sheep Dip. I'm quite pleased with this. A bit of tidying when in situ and that should do. It will be placed right up against a building so I work on the basis that its growth is due to its position. 

Rob. 

20200324_210257-01.jpeg

Sorry to post when you’re mid flow so to speak! Brilliant that tree so something out the garden then flock added?

Cheers 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Evening all. 

An experiment tonight. 

A tree for Sheep Dip. I'm quite pleased with this. A bit of tidying when in situ and that should do. It will be placed right up against a building so I work on the basis that its growth is due to its position. 

Rob. 

20200324_210257-01.jpeg

Or the prevailing wind. Many coastal trees take on a similar shape.

• Like 2
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, mullie said:

Trouble is I've sat in meetings where people speak like that, sometimes using even longer sentences that still say absolutely nothing!

I regularly sit in meetings like that ….. the current situation allows me to avoid them …..

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, westerner said:

Or the prevailing wind. Many coastal trees take on a similar shape.

Hi Alan. 

Yes. I'm hoping that Sheep Dip will end up looking a tad bleak and windswept. There will be a few bigger trees but I'm concentrating on the smaller ones to start with. 

In answer to Ade's query, yes they are from the garden. Dead wood from a small sage bush and the larger trees will use dead wood from a lavender bush. 

Rob 

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 6

2 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Hi Alan. 

Yes. I'm hoping that Sheep Dip will end up looking a tad bleak and windswept. There will be a few bigger trees but I'm concentrating on the smaller ones to start with. 

In answer to Ade's query, yes they are from the garden. Dead wood from a small sage bush and the larger trees will use dead wood from a lavender bush. 

Rob 

I assumed that was what your garden trip was for Rob, it's an ideal time of the year to get the dead wood in for your trees etc., are you treating them in any way to make them sterile with a view to stopping any long term decay ? Just a thought mate.

G

Edited by bgman
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, keefr2 said:

Very nice tree Rob, hope the works forecat approved!

Keith

I've met the works forecat, and would respectfully suggest that a lack of blatant disapproval is the best than can be hoped for...

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, bgman said:

I assumed that was what your garden trip was for Rob, it's an ideal time of the year to get the dead wood in for your trees etc., are you treating them in any way to make them sterile with a view to stopping any long term decay ? Just a thought mate.

G

Hi G. 

I've given the trunk etc an initial blast of matt varnish then copious amounts of max hold hairspray to secure foliage. 

We shall see if that's adequate. 

Rob 

41 minutes ago, sb67 said:

That tree does look nice Rob, I like the shape, very windswept :)

I can take no credit for that, Steve. It was the wind wot dun it. 

R

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Dead wood from a small sage bush.

Rob 

Ahem, cough..........Correction to the above. My eminently more horticulturely aware Memsahib tells me it was tyme, not sage. 

All looks the same when you're grazing. 

Rob. 

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Funny 6

2091217325_BarryTen-Cardiff08-HudswellClarkLoco.JPG.7eeeaba9b0c35586f5a459cc74e16ad4.JPG

13 hours ago, bgman said:

..... are you treating them in any way to make them sterile with a view to stopping any long term decay ? 

Well, I have a load of hedge cuttings or whatever from a some 45 years ago as Pit Props in some wagons, and they seem much the same now as when I put them in the (4mm scale) wagons, I don't recall doing anything special, apart from removing the 'bark'. 
Edit: Looking at the 'Props' I wondering if I even removed the bark, but I must have as the 'stem' would have shrunk slightly as they dried out.
The house I had at the time had a 100ft long hedge, so 200ft of hedge trimmings to gather up, the best ones were from the top of the hedge.

Photo by Barry Ten - Cardiff 2008.

PS - I know Compound2632 will shudder at the wagon, it's an early Ian Kirk, hand lettered.

Edited by Penlan
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

ISTR glycerine being quoted somewhere as a good preservative for such wood brought indoors. Where you'd buy that at any time, let alone right now, I have no idea!  

I’ve used watered down glycerin as paint retarder although my first attempt ended in disaster...I thought ‘nitro’ was the name of the manufacturer 

• Like 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, chuffinghell said:

I’ve used watered down glycerin as paint retarder although my first attempt ended in disaster...I thought ‘nitro’ was the name of the manufacturer 

A film called The Wages of Fear comes to mind.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

ISTR glycerine being quoted somewhere as a good preservative for such wood brought indoors. Where you'd buy that at any time, let alone right now, I have no idea!  

You can buy it in bottles from boots (and presumably other) pharmacies.

I have a bottle for maintaining the flexibility of the rubber seals on my convertible.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2