• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Re6/6 said:

It was a dark art to me too Rob until I was cajoled by Baron Harrap many moons ago to build some. "It's easy old chap once you get the hang of it" I recall him saying! Get this book by Ricey and all will be revealed! https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Book-PCB-Track-Building-Wiring-Laying-a-pragmatic-guide-by-Iain-Rice/202931121562?hash=item2f3fa32d9a:g:QS4AAOSwmgBeYnDH

Once you start It will become addictive! It would give you the ability to create all all those track alignments that you've always wanted!:D

Absolutely right John.

I started building my own points when I was a student as I couldn't afford to buy Peco ones. I was lucky enough to be tutored by some leading lights in the Leeds MRS, notably Mike Edge and Nick Easton. As a result I've never bought a point for the last 45 years.

I encourage others to have a go as well. I always tell them that their first effort will be rubbish. Their second will work but won't look all that good. From the third onwards they'll never look back.

• Like 5
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

I always tell them that their first effort will be rubbish. Their second will work but won't look all that good. From the third onwards they'll never look back.

That's it in a nutshell!

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I started building PCB track around ten years ago as a way of saving money over the cost of Peco track and still enjoy building soldered track. I can use Templot in a rudimentary way and the ability to model smooth flowing track plans really changes the look of a layout.

I have looked at proper chaired track for point work, I prefer soldered construction because I enjoy building it. The point work can also be fettled if something is not quite right.

I taught my self, bought the Iain Rice book on soldered track construction, bought decent equipment and then set about building making lots of mistakes along the way. The move from 00 to EM simply meant buying some new gauges and longer sleepers.

Martyn

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Nothing risky about that Ade. Nice start.  Looks like a good foundation. 

Next up, sleeper painting and a touch of weathering about the rail sides. 

Rob. 

Thanks Rob was going to have a bash today, but with such a lovely day headed out for a hike. Saw a few out in the hills all social distancing and thanking one another.

I see if I can have a go at your advice on the track tomorrow.

Cheers.

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Looking good, apart from, if I may say, the ridges in the bank at the rear.

They're not so pronounced in the flesh, Stubbers. But, even so,  I'm hoping they will be less noticeable when I start adding further layers of grass and other vegetation. 

Rob 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, colin penfold said:

2020-03-24_07_51_43.jpg.e3d75bdf4c8d6532b6f0bc48b8de8ec6.jpg

Are you the one on the left, Colin? 

The Horrocksford Swingers Fellowship really know how to have a good time , I must say.....

Rob. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Work is continuing on Sheep Dip. The 'first fix' of the scenery is just about done. 

Hopefully these continue to give an idea of this industrial backwater. 

Essentially Darling, the juxtaposition of light with the ethereal effervescence of the penumbrae surrounding the characteristic Peckett aesthetics, mandate no middle ground in terms of the conceptual magnitude of this piece.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Funny 2

20 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Essentially Darling, the juxtaposition of light with the ethereal effervescence of the penumbrae surrounding the characteristic Peckett aesthetics, mandate no middle ground in terms of the conceptual magnitude of this piece.

You like it then ?

• Agree 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, bgman said:

You like it then ?

Sometimes hard to tell but I'm going with that......

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, bgman said:

Its the T. Jones effect " The Green Green Grass of Home" deffo gonna attract a crowd !

G

"Is that normal?"

"Well, it's not unusual."

I thank you.

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Captain Kernow said:

Ezatitagen.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Ezatitagen.

Bless ewe!

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Captain Kernow said:

Trouble is I've sat in meetings where people speak like that, sometimes using even longer sentences that still say absolutely nothing!

• Like 3
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, mullie said:

Trouble is I've sat in meetings where people speak like that, sometimes using even longer sentences that still say absolutely nothing!

Why do we not have comedy like this any more?

• Like 1
  • Agree 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1