Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Bachmann Hawksworth Autocoach

David Bigcheeseplant

Substitute Bachmann for the BBC in the following video and you get what a lot of people on here seem to believe!! :O

ROB

Nope, not me in any way at all. Just being realistic.

What would you say is a realistic price for it then........... I'd be interested to find out.

Isn't this discussion getting utterly futile?  I doubt that anything that is said here is actually going to change Bachmann's pricing policy, so whatever the final price turns out to be (whenever the coach finally appears on the market, that is) either we decide that we can afford an autocoach or we cannot…end of discussion.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

After getting over the shock of the price. And thinking about it if we are willing to spend £120 to £150 on a 2 car DMU. a tank locomotive and a autocoach is not so bad and they do look a lot nicer than a DMU. Only one thing stopping me from buying one is its not LMS. :(

Edited by farren

But you don't mention what you think is a realistic price, so I ask again........

I don't know what it costs to make and neither, I suspect, do you. I choose not to take everything Bachmann say about pricing at face value, maybe you do? I think it is too expensive and won't buy one, you don't.

Vive la différence!

ROB

Edited by Rob F
  • Like 1

Why shouldnt a fully painted RTR Auto coach be that price? How many members are capable of doing the alternative.......Building one. More to the point, how many members are capable of painting and lining one. Believe me, the hardest bits are the ends where the lining has to continue and line up on both sides. As usual, the thread started with the heads up of a new model, but from then on it was moan moan moan about the price. It is as if many of the new members see RMweb as merely a 'Letters Page'.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Why shouldnt a fully painted RTR Auto coach be that price? How many members are capable of doing the alternative.......Building one. More to the point, how many members are capable of painting and lining one. Believe me, the hardest bits are the ends where the lining has to continue and line up on both sides. As usual, the thread started with the heads up of a new model, but from then on it was moan moan moan about the price. It is as if many of the new members see RMweb as merely a 'Letters Page'.

I think any comparison is very simple - to get something as good and as well finished as the Bachmann one promises to be I would have to buy one from you.  Now that firstly assumes that you would produce one, secondly that you would be able to source the necessary parts to get a variety that suits me and - probably most importantly - relies on the fact that I am willing and able to remunerate you for the time and skill you put into making it.  Bachmann will probably win, I'm truly sorry to say,  when it comes to that rather  critical 'able to remunerate you bit' although I'm certainly willing to do so.

The other alternative is to produce one for myself from a suitable kit.  I maybe could, especially if I sub'd out the soldering of the body, and I know from experience that I could paint it - but hardly to your standard - and I think I'd have to go for an unlined livery, but I want a lined one.  So the choice is very simple and would only become difficult if you decided to produce one as I'd then have to decide what I would have to sell in order to buy it whereas I can save from my  pension to  get the Bachmann one.  At the end of the day the situation is that we are going to be offered a coach which most of us only need, and will therefore only buy, in limited numbers - that alone will affect the price (upwards); it looks to be delivering a pretty good job, the brass coloured warning gong aside (paint it), so that too will push up the price.  And of course it is not compulsory to buy it (and nobody ever said it was).

• Like 11

Moving on from all the pointless whinging and whining about Bachmann's pricing policy, the BR inspection saloon in maroon seems to have massively outsold it's very similar LMS liveried counterpart. Is anyone going to take a punt on whether the lined maroon or unlined crimson will be the "sellout" catalogue number ?

I'm waiting in vain for the debate to move on from the price and onto whether its an accurate model

We will not know this until it's released   If it isn't, you know what will happen: "all that money for this piece of insertexpletiveofyourchoice" ...

Chris

Is anyone going to take a punt on whether the lined maroon or unlined crimson will be the "sellout" catalogue number ?

Well I'm not buying one lined or unlined!

Not because of the price mind you, I just happen to prefer a diagram that ran in GWR livery before the 1940s.

It will be interesting to see if this model is successful enough to encourage someone to make an RTR GWR autocoach inside the next three years. Hopefully we should see the Hattons/DJM 14xx show up sometime in that period.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I totally agree with Olive green,it appears the more self righteous and opinionated amongst us do not like others to have a different opinion/point of view.

Can we now drop this and get on with what we do best,railway modelling.

But... I'm better at arguing than building my model railway :senile:

• Like 1

Back in 2001 - 2004 I produced a range of RTR brass LNWR push pull coaches and one for the MR. I then looked at GWR trailers but all had one drawback, the interiors. Assembling lots of non standard seats onto a floor is a time consuming job bordering on sheer boredom just for one coach let alone two dozen, so Bachmann will get my money.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

As Oz has pointed out, when DJM/Hattons produce the 14xx, will there be an earlier style autocoach to go with it? I'm sure price is not the issue here. After all, it's the same (relative) cost as a 2 car DMU. Accuracy is the watch word. How about an ex steam rail motor trailer? Just right for those non-topfeed locomotives.....

Ian

Edited by tomparryharry

Some 20 years ago I produced a kit for the Hawksworth autocoach body intended initially to use parts from an Airfix donor (chassis/interior). I built a sample using an ex-BSL aluminium roof, and a Comet chassis, and it ran on my Black Dog Halt layout, usually  with a Westward 54XX. I can't now remember how much I sold the kits for. I included the BSL roof and some castings but the builder had to source the chassis, bogies and interior. I bet if I was selling it now, the total cost would come to at least the same as the Bachmann and probably quite a bit more, even if you painted and lined it yourself. Though it looked the part, I bet the Bachmann model is more accurate and less heavy. 

CHRIS LEIGH

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Some 20 years ago I produced a kit for the Hawksworth autocoach body intended initially to use parts from an Airfix donor (chassis/interior). I built a sample using an ex-BSL aluminium roof, and a Comet chassis, and it ran on my Black Dog Halt layout, usually  with a Westward 54XX. I can't now remember how much I sold the kits for. I included the BSL roof and some castings but the builder had to source the chassis, bogies and interior. I bet if I was selling it now, the total cost would come to at least the same as the Bachmann and probably quite a bit more, even if you painted and lined it yourself. Though it looked the part, I bet the Bachmann model is more accurate and less heavy. 

CHRIS LEIGH

I actually found an unbuilt example of this kit in a box in my garage recently that had been untouched since I moved house. The instructions are probably in another box somewhere nearby, as is the Airfix donor coach. Like Chris I can't remember what it sold for, I certainly bought the kit new. I've been waiting for my skill level to be sufficient to make a good job of it, but so far it hasn't happened, so my desire to have a model of "Wren" which I once travelled in from Stourbridge Junction to Kidderminster behind a 64XX pannier will give Bachmann a sale. I think I will need to alter the seating to produce an accurate model, apart from sourcing the name transfer.

I actually found an unbuilt example of this kit in a box in my garage recently that had been untouched since I moved house. The instructions are probably in another box somewhere nearby, as is the Airfix donor coach. Like Chris I can't remember what it sold for, I certainly bought the kit new. I've been waiting for my skill level to be sufficient to make a good job of it, but so far it hasn't happened, so my desire to have a model of "Wren" which I once travelled in from Stourbridge Junction to Kidderminster behind a 64XX pannier will give Bachmann a sale. I think I will need to alter the seating to produce an accurate model, apart from sourcing the name transfer.

Can't help feeling Bachmann will do Wren sooner or later. It was among the photos I supplied to them when they were researching liveries a couple of years ago - a B&W picture with the coach in all-over crimson, or was it maroon, still carrying the name.

CHRIS LEIGH

• Like 4