Bachmann Hawksworth Autocoach

David Bigcheeseplant

• RMweb Premium

It will be interesting to see if this model is successful enough to encourage someone to make an RTR GWR autocoach inside the next three years. Hopefully we should see the Hattons/DJM 14xx show up sometime in that period.

The Hornby A30* is still a really good model and can be had very cheaply secondhand. All the shortcomings are with the chassis, which isn't that hard to change for the better with the detailing kit from Dart Castings (£25). If you are careful, it won't need repainting above solebar level. It's fairly quick too, I found that flush glazing it took most of the time spent - and with the Laserglaze window set now available from Shawplan (£9), it is not an experience I would need to repeat.

* It is usually reckoned to be a A28/A30 hybrid. You can make an A28 out of it with body alterations, but the only things that aren't A30 as supplied are on the chassis. 

• Like 2

I actually found an unbuilt example of this kit in a box in my garage recently that had been untouched since I moved house. The instructions are probably in another box somewhere nearby, as is the Airfix donor coach. Like Chris I can't remember what it sold for, I certainly bought the kit new. I've been waiting for my skill level to be sufficient to make a good job of it, but so far it hasn't happened, so my desire to have a model of "Wren" which I once travelled in from Stourbridge Junction to Kidderminster behind a 64XX pannier will give Bachmann a sale. I think I will need to alter the seating to produce an accurate model, apart from sourcing the name transfer.

Try Modelmaster for the Wren transfer.  I have sheet GP08 where it may be found in yellow, correct for crimson or blood and custard.

Chris

Morning all, I've not posted in here before but gwrrob suggested I post these pics in here from the Bachmann Product Launch last Monday.

attachicon.gifBachmann 2015 LAUNCH 001.JPG

attachicon.gifBachmann 2015 LAUNCH 002.JPG

There not brilliant pics I'm afraid as there taken through the glass cabinets.

Looking at the numbers they are models of preserved autocoaches, W228W (Maroon) is based at the South Devon Railway and W231 (Crimson & Cream) is based at Didcot Railway Center

Edited by Paul.Uni

I want Thrush in Maroon, but understand it was better with the cream on it!

There goes my cheese and pickle sandwich all over the blasted keyboard...!

Here's W231 at Didcot - I've no real 'need' for the Bachmann model but the level of 'want' is certainly high. I've sold more models in the last year or so than I've bought and perhaps now is the time to redress the balance...

post-7638-0-70450000-1425994216.jpg

post-7638-0-70262700-1425994241.jpg

post-7638-0-49108200-1425994267.jpg

• Like 15

The Hornby A30* is still a really good model and can be had very cheaply secondhand.

* It is usually reckoned to be a A28/A30 hybrid. You can make an A28 out of it with body alterations, but the only things that aren't A30 as supplied are on the chassis.

When was this last produced?

(I do have one from Hornby and one in it's former Dapol incarnation, which is a more detailed model.)

I seem to remember Hornby including it in a catalogue a couple of years ago, but I don't believe they produced it at that time. Either that or I forgot to place an order.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

• RMweb Premium

It appears to have been in 2012. I am sure I have seen them in UK model shops later than this- there may be some still with stock. The most recent one I have to hand is about 5 years old, i don't think it is significantly different to the Airfix branded one I have had since the early 80's. Once you have got rid of the tension locks and replaced the wheels there is no difference at all!

• RMweb Gold

I've got a Crimson/cream one, R.4187, I think I've had it about four years but I'm not sure...............(it's my age, you know) :jester:

Compared with my Airfix & Dapol ones, it appears to have a better paint job (though the older ones are in different liveries).

Only down side is the nasty chromed/nickel plated buffers. Why on earth can't they just blacken the brass parts? 

John

Edit: Apologies - just realised this is a Bachmann thread but they DO blacken the brass bits.

Edited by Dunsignalling

Morning all, I've not posted in here before but gwrrob suggested I post these pics in here from the Bachmann Product Launch last Monday.

Bachmann 2015 LAUNCH 001.JPG

Bachmann 2015 LAUNCH 002.JPG

There not brilliant pics I'm afraid as there taken through the glass cabinets.

Great pictures actually! Nice to see the model in the flesh. The real question is which colour to get? For some reason I've really struggled with the 64xx and the Autocoach - I changed my mind that many times but think I've settled in a black 64xx and maroon Autocoach for the late 50's period. Thoughts?

• 1 month later...

Saw painted samples of the B & C and Maroon lined autocoaches on the Bachmann stand at the Bristol Show yesterday. They look very good indeed.

Good news. I wonder when they will be released? I'm not usually one for champing at the bit when it comes to RTR, but a decent WR Auto Coach is a signature item on the branch I am modelling and they are not the easiest coach to build. 

Good news. I wonder when they will be released? I'm not usually one for champing at the bit when it comes to RTR, but a decent WR Auto Coach is a signature item on the branch I am modelling and they are not the easiest coach to build. 

Speaking to Lord & Butler their guess is towards the end of the year.

Regards,

Dave

Have they sorted the colour of the gongs Dave or do they still have that 'brassy' look?

Mike,

TBH I forgot to look! I viewed the coaches side on - it was busy at the stand as you might imagine.

If they haven't the gong on mine will soon be painted,

Regards,

Dave

The Hornby A30* is still a really good model and can be had very cheaply secondhand. All the shortcomings are with the chassis, which isn't that hard to change for the better with the detailing kit from Dart Castings (£25). If you are careful, it won't need repainting above solebar level. It's fairly quick too, I found that flush glazing it took most of the time spent - and with the Laserglaze window set now available from Shawplan (£9), it is not an experience I would need to repeat.

A "Home" modified A28 from a Hornby hybrid. It's running on 7' Collett bogies filched from a 57' Bow ended. I put back original windows in luggage compartment too.

20150504_191321_zpsr9clx1ty.jpg

20150504_191310_zps3yub9aps.jpg

20150504_190821_zpsykif3htk.jpg

Apologies for thread drift.....

Edited by lofty1966
  • Like 13

• 3 months later...

I don't know if people check the Bachmann website regularly, but they did post pictures of livery samples for the Hawksworth BR autotrailer back in June.

Pictures are available on their website.

Have they sorted the colour of the gongs Dave or do they still have that 'brassy' look?

Indeed they have Mike - they are now painted in the body colour. Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

I popped into AC Models at Eastleigh at lunchtime to pick up some stock that Annette had kindly put by for me and was somewhat surprised that the Auto coaches had arrived this morning, needless to say I left the shop with 39-575 in crimson & cream, superb model, my only disappointment with it is that I'm unable to run it at the momment with my Pannier Tank as I'm stuck in my local ! :-)

• Like 1