The Engine Shed

Multiple identity account

• RMweb Premium

Well the new products have slowed, hopefully temporarily. I think also with Simon Kohlers blog ending, we may see Engine Shed covering more varied subjects. But still enjoyable. I thought the Elgin Clubs Stratheldon was very good at Model Rail Scotland, nice to see them featured.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Today's edition was a bit of a waste. I understood that Engine Shed was all about product development. Seems that it is now about model shows as well.

Waste?! I thought it was probably the best yet contribution on the thorny question of how does Hornby survive beyond the current pensioners' 'golden age' when they have both the time and the money to buy things. If how to create / contact and develop a future customer is not a part of product development, then I don't know what is! After all there are 1000's of posts on her complaining about Hornby being 'out of touch', 'not listening to customers', and so on. But when they take the time to tell us how they are doing it, it is a "WASTE"!

Edited by Vistiaen
  • Like 3

Waste?! I thought it was probably the best yet contribution on the thorny question of how does Hornby survive beyond the current pensioners' 'golden age' when they have both the time and the money to buy things. If how to create / contact and develop a future customer is not a part of product development, then I don't know what is! After all there are 1000's of posts on her complaining about Hornby being 'out of touch', 'not listening to customers', and so on. But when they take the time to tell us how they are doing it, it is a "WASTE"!

Very well put. I found it a very interesting and enlightening blog.

• RMweb Premium

I thought this was a terrific bog, not only for some articulate and well observed comments on the importance of younger people to the future of the hobby and how to engage with them but also the really uplifting and heartening story of how Elgin club have reached out to children. What a wonderful story and what an example for other clubs, well done them!!

I think now Simon Kohler has left his blogging role at Hornby we may see the engine shed fill that void and alternate between its previous new product focus and the more general thoughts on the hobby type of post. And if this instalment is indicative of what we could expect from the Engine Shed I welcome it!!

• Like 1

Indeed, it is very good to see a club engaging and bringing in a new generation. An inspiration for all clubs and shows some of the modern day issues they have to overcome.

Granted there was no new development info, but I doubt they will have always have development news all the time anyway. So this is refreshing and a useful example for all clubs to bring in fresh blood.

It would be nice to hear more news on the progress of the Merchant Navies, and details of the models being produced other than the brief information released so far.

I'm sure when they have news they will do an article about it...That's what they've done all along.

• RMweb Gold

I thought this was a terrific bog, not only for some articulate and well observed comments on the importance of younger people to the future of the hobby and how to engage with them but also the really uplifting and heartening story of how Elgin club have reached out to children. What a wonderful story and what an example for other clubs, well done them!!

I think now Simon Kohler has left his blogging role at Hornby we may see the engine shed fill that void and alternate between its previous new product focus and the more general thoughts on the hobby type of post. And if this instalment is indicative of what we could expect from the Engine Shed I welcome it!!

Like this post and its optimistic tone but ididn''t know that RMWeb members also wrote plumbing reviews........ :jester:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Typos or evidence of illiteracy? Either will do, I blame my parents.

The combination of dyslexia and bad hand eye coordination hampers me a lot, but as an expat now living in Denmark : i det mindste er jeg ordblinde på flere sprog! ( google translate that :jester: )

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Nice . I just hope Hornby don't catch a cold on this loco. They can ill afford it at the moment. I just can't see that with its limited geographical appeal this will disappear off the shelves quickly. If you consider people are already signed up to the crowd funded one and presumably committed to it . It further restricts the already limited market for this loco

As Legend quite rightly points out, a model of "limited geographical appeal". A lovely looking model without doubt, however restricted to a niche market which will end up being sold off cheaply within a few months. If the likes of the D16, B17 and K1 are being discounted to silly prices, I don't hold much hope out for the 71. For Hornby's sake, I really hope I'm wrong !

Its a quaint and strangely attractive loco for a "box".

However, as Legend notes, its geographical appearance is very limited, it was essentially a third-rail loco and the pantograph was ONLY for yard shunting - it never ran on a main line on the pantograph.  As far as liveries go, I prefer the green ones, and the plain green one (R3376) at that.  The blue livery cries out for extreme weathering.....  Given the level of detail, the Hornby list price of £155 is appropriate, but as it has competition, will it sell, or will we see it in a bargain sale this time next year?

My only other third-rail rolling stock is a 2-BIL set, which I only bought because a. It reminded me of my old Triang EMU and b. Kernows were selling it at a bargain price.  There's not much call for third-rail electric on a fictional West Midlands joint secondary line that covers the 50's and early 60's........

• RMweb Gold

But for those of us who have stocks of Bulleid light pacifics of the rebuilt kind, a set of Hornby Pullmans, a number of other late SR steamers ,early Class 24 and 33 diesel locos then there is a whole lot going for this. It will get to market ahead of its rival as the new King has done. Maybe 'first past the post' wins the race ? Don't dismiss this one,gents.It has a whole lot more than limited appeal and on a personal note will make an excellent stable mate with SLW's  D5000 the prototype of which spent its early years in Kent.

• Like 1

My powers of prediction are hopeless. Some years ago, hearing cries of, “they’ve all been done”, I wondered what was left and if Heljan would start into third-rail electrics or gas turbines, or produce 10800 or the Fell first. Instead, Heljan went for different minority tastes. Well, it looks as if I shall have more third-rail electrics than I thought I wanted, although a couple of Class 70 variants would be nice. I wonder would the sales of the 70 hold up if production were not duplicated?

Hm. If the 71s sell well and a couple of manufacturers have tackled pantographs (whether they were much used on the real thing or not) might we get some early AC electrics? With Bachy grazing in the field as well, might we get more duplication, perish the thought?

On the other hand, Bachmann and Hornby are taking things easy at the moment and Dave Jones might not have the profit to re-invest which he hoped he would have. I won’t work myself into a lather just yet.

As Legend quite rightly points out, a model of "limited geographical appeal". A lovely looking model without doubt, however restricted to a niche market which will end up being sold off cheaply within a few months. If the likes of the D16, B17 and K1 are being discounted to silly prices, I don't hold much hope out for the 71. For Hornby's sake, I really hope I'm wrong !

Suppose the issue is how much Hornby is sold to knowledgable modellers and how much to the train set lot.Many comments I heard at exhibitions makes me think their is still a large proportion to whom even Bachmann are a relatively unknown maker so the chances of them knowing of DJM is pretty slim. We have duplication of models since the 1960s so its nothing new.