End of the line

d winpenny

Hi guys thanks for your interest I am still using the layout but mainly to just for giving stock a good run around any real progress is on hold for the time being getting married in May so I haven't got much time to spare or money at the moment.

Hi Andy I do get where you coming from its being one of my bug bares a medium sized infrastructure project when I have some more time I think

All the best David

Congratulations on the forthcoming marriage, I just wish my Mrs would marry me ( 25 years + 4 kids later), looking forward to some updates on the thread - no rush though ;)

Simon 

• 6 months later...

Hi everybody I have decided to take leave from model railways for a while I will be keeping most of my locomotives and my meas because to buy them all again would be stupidly expensive I am planning on selling on my Mbas and the arriva northern mk2 I've got lying around and maybe a few other bits once I've streamlined my collection I may start a smaller more manageable project but I will see when I get there anybody that is interested please comment AND message me

David

Time is limited here David.

I have 3 micros in various early stages of construction. Any new garage attempt is out of the question due to restraints ideas and finance so these are good to keep the interest.

How about a small fuelling point for the 60? done to death I suppose but it's something.

Ian

• 3 months later...

Hi everybody not sure if I'm back yet but I was wondering if anyone has any experience fitting working screw link couplings to Hornby class 60s and 56 because I'm pondering the idea of of full front end detailing without loosing function

David

Hi everybody not sure if I'm back yet but I was wondering if anyone has any experience fitting working screw link couplings to Hornby class 60s and 56 because I'm pondering the idea of of full front end detailing without loosing function

David

About 30 years ago I tried a few types, the romford / Jackson Evans ones were great on my 47s and 45s etc they were a bit big looking however that was something that made them easy to use, I haven't had a Hornby 60 so don`t know how easy it would be to fit a similar type like smiths etc, Hornby are bringing out a new coupling http://www.hattons.co.uk/337887/Hornby_R7200_Pack_of_four_cosmetic_screw_couplings/StockDetail.aspx it does say cosmetic though.

SGJ 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everbody me again I'm having what I think is best described as a bit of a wobble so I thought I'd come here post it up and hopefully get my brain sorted so here goes....

I'm pondering changing my current era I am at the moment in mid 90s early 00s so ews with a wide spread of traction which is what was around when I was a bit younger hanging around healed mills so 60s on tanks and binliner trains (contentious issue not having the wagons of containers to model this but hey) rylstone Mbas with 66s rakes of meas and bdas with just about anything going and northern dmus.

BUT

I am thinking of changing all of that for sector livery 56s on mgrs, sector 60s on tanks and provincial livery or early metro dmus.

The problem being am I just being indecisive because I have no layout at present it would be a big change to make its just all very frustrating

David

Hi everbody me again I'm having what I think is best described as a bit of a wobble so I thought I'd come here post it up and hopefully get my brain sorted so here goes....

I'm pondering changing my current era I am at the moment in mid 90s early 00s so ews with a wide spread of traction which is what was around when I was a bit younger hanging around healed mills so 60s on tanks and binliner trains (contentious issue not having the wagons of containers to model this but hey) rylstone Mbas with 66s rakes of meas and bdas with just about anything going and northern dmus.

BUT

I am thinking of changing all of that for sector livery 56s on mgrs, sector 60s on tanks and provincial livery or early metro dmus.

The problem being am I just being indecisive because I have no layout at present it would be a big change to make its just all very frustrating

David

Think very carefully before leaping. I’ve done this several times and it’s literally cost me thousands. Think about it for a month. Think about future layouts, will they need what you already have ? What’s the appeal of sectorisation ? Will that appeal last ?

I’ve had at least three Bachmann 37035s.......! Cost me a fortune

I know what you mean about rebuying stock over the years of modelling

I've had

17mbas

36 meas

20 pnas

12 bdas

1 mra set

50 Hornby haas minimum various versions

3 Bachmann tea wagons

16 Tarmac jga wagon

Flangway railtrack snowplough

Bachmann TTA x2

Bachmann oca x2

6 Hornby kfas

9 Bachmann hta

Ews 56059 x2

Coal sector 56127

Coal sector 56128

Loadhaul 56003

37411 x2

66135 x2

66159 renumber

Real track metro 144

Bachmann first transpennine 3 car 158

Bachmann 150 out of dynamis set

Bachmann class northern 158

Bachmann metro waves 158

Hornby northern 153

Ews 60023 renumber

Ews 60026

Ews 60029 clitheroe cement

Loadhaul 60007

Mainline 60078 mainline

Bachmann ews 08

Bachmann grey 08648?

Hornby 09012 dick hardy

Heljan mainline class 58

It's an obscene amount of kit to have bought and sold and to still not know what I'm doing or have a layout makes it all the more frustrating is if I'd stuck to one thing I'd of had a nice selection of stock from one era

Edited by d winpenny

Been talking to a few friends and they've said model a freight flow your intrested in go away do some research and model on rake at a time so I've always been a fan of mgr traffic so I've spent the weekend watching YouTube and on flikr and my next project is a 56 headed mgr rake so I'm. Going to back date modelling era not sure how far as yet just back enough to include ews 56s or go the whole hog a fresh start and go sector.

So first things first the mra rake and the 2 sound 66s will be departing if anyone is intrested please drop me a pm may may take part ex for Hornby haas, Bachmann teas either shell or gulf grey livery, or DCC sound coal sector 56s

David

Been talking to a few friends and they've said model a freight flow your intrested in go away do some research and model on rake at a time so I've always been a fan of mgr traffic so I've spent the weekend watching YouTube and on flikr and my next project is a 56 headed mgr rake so I'm. Going to back date modelling era not sure how far as yet just back enough to include ews 56s or go the whole hog a fresh start and go sector.

So first things first the mra rake and the 2 sound 66s will be departing if anyone is intrested please drop me a pm may may take part ex for Hornby haas, Bachmann teas either shell or gulf grey livery, or DCC sound coal sector 56s

David

That sound like good advise, If you decide to go back as far as 56`s with coal sector markings try not to be tempted to go back further though ( red stripe / large logo ), There was diferent types of wagon HAA / HBA and some with modifications http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=PA19&style=&strType=&Mcode=Parkside+Dundas+PA19

Also livery's were changing for coal sector yellow wagons

post-9437-0-92326600-1516526812_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

It definitely won’t be any further than sector having spent half an hour watching a video of Milford junction in 1995 I’m fairly certain sector is where I’m heading with the hoppers If I don’t get any part ex it will be buy a job lot of the latest railroad offering respray some of the cradles Railfreight red leave some yellow and lather them in grime so you can’t tell the colour anymore

• Like 1

Only a slight update today but this arrived today and I thought it was worth sharing 1 weathered unliveried tea tank just need somebody to make the rest look something similar

attachicon.gif3AB31428-E235-42C2-BE06-4693839CB7FF.jpeg

David

Hi David, Barry ( http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/user/7650-barry-o/ ) does weathering.

his web site is http://activeweathering.co.uk/

He has done 3 of my locos many years ago which were 2 lima 40`s and 47475 in the trans pennine livery ( before the lima release ! ).

Regards

Simon

• Like 1

Cheers Simon. Well here is my project for today modifying Hornby HAAs I bought 29 yesterday and this morning are my results

Done a selection of progress photos

First of all I removed the side sector logo

post-10013-0-78239400-1517317882_thumb.jpeg

Then I dismantled and painted the frame red

post-10013-0-10918800-1517317900_thumb.jpeg

And finally removed the large tension lock coupling

post-10013-0-53560300-1517317919_thumb.jpeg

So that’s it so far not sure if I’m going to fit the entire rake with instanters. They will all be weathered when I’ve finished the repaints and the rear wagon will have a tail lamp not sure if it will work yet as I will be running full and empty rakes so can’t put the equipment inside the hopper itself

David

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Lovely wagonry going on David!!

For the HAA set, I’d recommend instanters (providing you don’t mind the fiddly coupling up!) - I fitted these on mine and when in service I found the new couplings resulted in smoother running than the old tension locks, the wagons keep to the centre line of the coupling and surprisingly good runners, I did not expect that!

For the tankers, I’d recommend having a go yourself, the TEAs can be done by painting on your oily spills, then wiping off, instant streaky effect that you can then build up on with some dry brush work over the top, contrary to the exceedingly large majority of the so-called ‘professional’ weathering outfits online & at shows, you don’t need any airbrushes to weather wagons like these, not to mention the big charges haha! They’ll run your wagons through on a production line with no real car and using just a generic photo instead of modelling specific wagons!

The first thing to add would be the classic weld lines, mask up and paint on the side using a rusty brown (e.g Humbrol 186), then when completely dry & hard, work from light to dark with browns and greys/dark greys/very dark greys (but never neat black) painting on and wiping off over several days/evenings, allowing time for the paint to dry inbetween coats. Then the drybrushing stage (putting paint on brush and then wiping nearly all off), run down the side in the key places (using a pic off say Flickr as a guide), finally the wheels & underframe can get mottled with a variety of browns and greys (e.g Humbrols 1, 32, 33, 62, 113, 186, 258), also painting your wheel faces and axles in the process. Then a coat of Humbrol Matt aerosol varnish will flatten the whole thing down to complete.

It’s a slow process so won’t find any of these ‘professional’ modelmakers going to that length to make a quick buck on a wagon, and you’ll get a set of totally unique, realistic wagons as a result. It takes time and practice but it is well worth it, as a starting point, have a go on a cheap bit of leftover plastic pipe or old wagon to get going and I promise you’ll get into the swing of it quickly!

I’ll get down off the soapbox now haha, I know not everyone has plenty of time for modelling but one of my biggest irks in the hobby these days is seeing the poor quality of these “professional” modelmakers ripping off customers with slapdash, hastily-completed generic weathering finishes!! Let me know if there’s anything I can help with mate! :)

Cheers,

James

Thanks for the great advice James I'm going to give it a try the truth being as a tight Yorkshireman any way to save money is a winner for me. I've being praticing coupling the teas with hornbys tiny coupling with reasonable success and they do look much better than the tension locks

David

• Like 2

As promised my current locomotive stable

56127 fitted with legomanbiffos sound

post-10013-0-13599900-1517833958_thumb.jpeg

56095 with Hornby sound going to get it reblown with biffs sounds aswell

post-10013-0-57465600-1517834088_thumb.jpeg

And finally 60014 wrong logo on the side of this at present bought it with the intention of removing the logo but I’ve not plucked up the courage to attack it with the tcut

post-10013-0-25726900-1517836769_thumb.jpeg

Next on my shopping list will be yet more haas another couple of teas and I’ve got my eye on a Heljan 58

David

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi David, coincidentally, I've been doing much the same - turning the Hornby HAA into something approaching reality, and gathering some sectorisation locos for my Grindleford layout.

From this:

post-17302-0-39373900-1517846715_thumb.jpg

To this:

post-17302-0-00953600-1517846716_thumb.jpg

And one of these:

post-17302-0-51971300-1517846716.jpg

Cheers,

Al.

• Like 7