End of the line

d winpenny

• 2 weeks later...

Not apart from the clanger I dropped ordering the wrong board, it turned out it wasn't the end of the world as I can still use it, mot is due on the car so trying to save for that at the moment just in case, providing it doesn't cost me a fortune I will be buying my building materials then

David

• Like 1

Sorry I haven't popped in for a while David. Nice job with the sheds. Definitely got the Knottingly feel about them.

As for building structures you could also try foam board as a base. Cuts easy so you can easily get it square and also nice and sturdy. Once you've built the structure you can just clad with whatever material you like i.e plasticard.

Most of my scratch built buildings on PDW are foam board construction. The only thing I will say is don't use a solvent base glue to attach the cladding or you end up with out gassing which distorts the plastic due to fumes building up underneath. I have found PVA works perfectly fine as long as you are patient.

It's not overly expensive either. Got 10 A1 sheets for about £20 on eBay and I've still got loads left over now having built the station, two bridges, maintenance shed and Peak Dale products buildings along with several other bits and pieces.

Keep up the good work mate

Cheers

Marcus

Not apart from the clanger I dropped ordering the wrong board, it turned out it wasn't the end of the world as I can still use it, mot is due on the car so trying to save for that at the moment just in case, providing it doesn't cost me a fortune I will be buying my building materials then

David

.....sounds familiar David - Time and Money.

Ian

car passed the mot so hopefully ill have some money soon to do something with the layout in the mean time here are a couple of posed shots i took

25482450355_5eb1d3c096_c.jpgSome of my stock for knottingley with Bachmann 66159 and 66068 by mosherlad, on Flickr

25114901079_11f989e38e_c.jpgSome of my stock for knottingley with Bachmann 66159 and 66068 by mosherlad, on Flickr

david

• Like 12

Nice selection of coal trains there David. With the location you're modelling you wont be able to have enough of those.

A bit like me except I cant have enough Stone trains. 

Expensive business this block freight train modelling malarkey.  :D

Cheers guys appreciate it, just waiting for my foam board to appear off ebay and I'll build some buildings

EDIT

Spookily enough as I posted this I got a notification that this was ready to collect from my local Argos so I plan to get it picked up ASAP and. Build something for you all to look at

David

Edited by d winpenny
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Cheers guys appreciate it, just waiting for my foam board to appear off ebay and I'll build some buildings

EDIT

Spookily enough as I posted this I got a notification that this was ready to collect from my local Argos so I plan to get it picked up ASAP and. Build something for you all to look at

David

The art shop on The Shambles near M&S and Hobbycraft at Monks Cross sell foam board. Can be held together with dress makers pins while the PVA sets.

Really coming on well David. The foam board is great isn't it. You can soon knock up some buildings with it. Just to fore warn. Don't use a solvent based glue, like I did to start with, to attach any cladding. It ends up out gassing and warping. I now use PVA which seems to work well. Also I've been told double sided tape is good.

Great work mate.

Cheers

Marcus

Cheers guys, they do look good next task is setting the boards up and getting the track laying started, doing my mates track really spurred me on to want to get mine done I've got the cork and most of the track so I'm doing a shopping list for what else I need probably some wood for legs for the layout and some corner strengtheners, more because of my lack of faith in my board building that the boards themselves, a couple more right hand points and I think I'm set.

• Like 1