End of the line

d winpenny

Built the main three shed buildings and started planning track positions there will be another 4x3 foot board on the other end nearest the camera

25868699982_a3cc8fda3c_c.jpgLayout planing by mosherlad, on Flickr

David

Hi David, 

Only just catching up with this post, really excellent work.

Not sure if this has already been discussed or whether you have omitted it but there is another road to the side of the service shed (aka "greenhouse"), the road runs all the way down the side of where you have 3 points already now, theres then a set of points that allows locos to either enter the greenhouse or park up to the side.

Locos would arrive down this road and stand until they could be dropped in for servicing.

cheers

• Like 3

Hi Eric thanks for your interest, had forgotten about that road to be honest, to begin with it was going to be omitted for space reasons but I could put it back in along with possibly the loco wash funds permitting

David

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Its great to see someone modeling Knottingley TMD. In fact i have been concidering having a TMD in my next OO gauge layout which would look very similar though probably smaller than Knottingley. I grew up next to one of the lines running south from Knottingley TMD from 1985 to 2003 and for me its all about the large logo BR blue 56s and 08s and the coal hoppers. On many weekends through the 80's and 90's I would travel from Knottingley to Leeds on a DMU and see the HSTs in blue/grey or IC swallow livery. Sometimes we got HST's passing by our house to avoid works on the main line. I also recall the odd 37 on these lines too.

Cant wait to see more photographs as this layout progresses.

Looking good David. See you bit the bullet and purchased some Biomass wagons. Very nice they are too. The 09 is a nice addition. Cant quite make my mind up whether to have an 08 on PDW or not. I'm thinking I may hold out for the 07 from Heljan and hope they do the Doveholes Quarry yellow version. Although a bit of modellers licence I could have the HNRC version on hire.

I've just sold the two Bachmann 08s I had as,having purchased a Hornby 08 for KoLW, I find it to be vastly superior in slow running qualities which is strange as the Bachmann Main line diesels are usually vastly superior.

Cheers

Marcus

Thanks Marcus, they are actually an early birthday present, but I may have to buy 2 of the powering tomorrow versions so then I've got 4 because I've got 2 if the drax ones, yeah the 09 is a cracking model. HNRC sounds good.

David

Thanks Marcus, they are actually an early birthday present, but I may have to buy 2 of the powering tomorrow versions so then I've got 4 because I've got 2 if the drax ones, yeah the 09 is a cracking model. HNRC sounds good.

David

Drax is obviously your neck of the woods - look good the Biomass but what price for a full rake?!

Ian

If had that sort of space to myself for a layout with full length trains I'm geussing cost would no longer be an issue, but I guess if it's really what you want and you can justify the price to yourself hang what anyone else thinks and get em I say and I seen several people that have done just that

David

• Like 1

If had that sort of space to myself for a layout with full length trains I'm geussing cost would no longer be an issue, but I guess if it's really what you want and you can justify the price to yourself hang what anyone else thinks and get em I say and I seen several people that have done just that

David

I did just that with full rakes of EWS HTA and Castle JPA. All gone to fund other interests I just can't justify the prices of this hobby sometimes ie what's the point of just one biomass wagon it has to be twenty or whatever to be prototypical how much is that going to cost - short and (detailed) sweet in future back to Speedlink days I do like matrimonial bliss and being able to eat now and again.

as you can see from these pictures 9 HTAs is quite sufficient for a layout this size

here is some picture of my sorta progress with the legs 

26444683460_c2594fb70d_c.jpg

More layout planning dangerously close to a permanently fixing some track by mosherlad, on Flickr

26691198316_4dabd91810_c.jpg

More layout planning dangerously close to a permanently fixing some track by mosherlad, on Flickr

26691197956_6cf2d0ac19_c.jpg

david

Edited by d winpenny
  • Like 10

That's looking really good now David. That shot looking down the yard gives a good impression of the size of the layout. I'm operating rakes of nine on PDW. Just long enough to give the impression of a decent length train.

Good work mate

Cheers

Marcus

• Like 1

Thanks Marcus

Thanks d6775 that would be greatly appreciated

And in other news I went back to google maps to have a look at the point work in front of the 4 road shed end of the tmd to see if I could recreate properly the point layout And here's a picture to explain I think it's about right will definitely need some more points though criticism welcome

post-10013-0-32501800-1462197757_thumb.jpeg

David

Edited by d winpenny
  • Like 6

Right I have come a sensible conclusion that so I can actually run my trains in the space I've got I'm going to have to make some changes when the other board turns up

I'll move the shed end of the depot down far enough to get 2 running lines behind so they run back along the nearside of the board then back around to to the original running lines

This will cut off the line that would link back to the running lines in real life so that will now be another headshunt I have also decided to omit the greenhouse siding as it will be in the way of the return running lines,

here is where I've got to in the meantime

26283126653_06497396a5_c.jpg

Knottingley laying the cork by mosherlad, on Flickr

David

Edited by d winpenny
  • Like 8

Think your doing the right thing with the track plan, David. One, it won't look to crammed in and two, you still need it to have some "play value" which the running lines will give you. Even though being devoid of a couple of lines, it still is very much Knottingley.

Great work so far mate.

Cheers

Marcus

• Like 1