Rapido/Locomotion Models GNR Stirling Single

Evening All, I am please to confirm the Stirling Single is now in the UK with delivery due to us imminently once released by customs, we are than hoping to deliver all paid orders to our loyal customers within the next 12-14 days.

I understand this has been a long process for some people who ordered when the model was first announced but I can say it will be very worth the wait as you will have seen from the images recently.

For those who currently haven't ordered we will be announcing more information on this in due course once all pre orders have been shipped.

Cheers

Tom

Group Retail Operations Manager

SMG

At last, someone in the loop has posted some real news.  Thank you Tom.

(Groan)

Wating impatiently (not) for the first "I've got mine" post

Stewart

Well, I doubt you'll have to groan at me!

But I would be happy to hear from anyone expressing pleasure at taking delivery of such an exceptional model.  I expect we will see photographs and videos of them on customers' layouts, and, indeed, I for one look forward to seeing these! 

• RMweb Gold

Certainly won't be me - mine has to wait for my wife to fly to England late August, then she's meeting my brother on a bridge over the River Trent at midnight with a carnation in her lapel.

• RMweb Gold

Certainly won't be me - mine has to wait for my wife to fly to England late August, then she's meeting my brother on a bridge over the River Trent at midnight with a carnation in her lapel.

A tin of Carnation ? 

Surely ....Single.....Cream would be better......

I'll get me coat....

Making contact:

"The daffodils are blooming early this year on the banks of the Volga"

"I'm sorry, I don't smoke that brand"

Close enough for Government work?

post-25673-0-03087300-1531924198.png

• Like 3

surely one of these will cause Rapido and Locomotion to realise their new model will never reach the required standard ...?

post-7929-0-14446300-1531969443.jpg

post-7929-0-17945200-1531969469.jpg

believe it or not they sell for about UKP170.... at least that's the asking for the above

The detail is very fine.

post-7929-0-46107100-1531969573.jpg

Thank you Rapido! :)

please note that this post is in the spirit of judicious levity referred to by Edwardian in his posts, and I'm sure the Caledonian never used any unfair signalling advantage over the NB at Kinnaber Junction in August 1895 either.

• Like 3

surely one of these will cause Rapido and Locomotion to realise their new model will never reach the required standard ...?

attachicon.gif123_John_Souter,_Caledonian_Railway_1895_r600.jpg

attachicon.gif123_caledonian_gostude_r800.jpg

believe it or not they sell for about UKP170.... at least that's the asking for the above

The detail is very fine.

attachicon.gif123_Caledonian_Image2_r800.jpg

please note that this post is in the spirit of judicious levity referred to by Edwardian in his posts, and I'm sure the Caledonian never used any unfair signalling advantage over the NB at Kinnaber Junction in August 1895 either.

You mean the one of that!

Very good choice for the 1888 Race, and bound to be a popular subject, despite remaining a one-off and only enjoying 4 weeks of high speed glory with light loads in a career otherwise largely confined to double-heading and inspection saloon duties.  

For the West Coast, add a Precedent, though not Hardwicke, as she is too young and belongs to the 1895 races, allowing Locomotion and partners to do two versions, one for each Race?

For the East allow me to pair the Stirling Single with another National Collection gem, the NER Tennant.

A more numerous class, of course, and, other than as a Racer, a more versatile model which could additionally be tooled to represent its later conditions too.  

post-25673-0-80473600-1531978422_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-53312200-1531978630_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-41867600-1531978729_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-63826800-1531978753_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-49776300-1531979141.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

You mean the one of that!

Very good choice for the 1888 Race, and bound to be a popular subject, despite remaining a one-off and only enjoying 4 weeks of high speed glory with light loads in a career otherwise largely confined to double-heading and inspection saloon duties.

For the West Coast, add a Precedent, though not Hardwicke, as she is too young and belongs to the 1895 races, allowing Locomotion and partners to do two versions, one for each Race?

For the East allow me to pair the Stirling Single with another National Collection gem, the NER Tennant.

A more numerous class, of course, and, other than as a Racer, a more versatile model which could additionally be tooled to represent its later conditions too.

Is that a wood lined footplate ? Or just the suns angle ?

I bet many homes didn’t have marquetry like that footplate.. how long I wonder did it stay like that.

Edited by adb968008

Is that a wood lined footplate ? Or just the suns angle ?

I bet many homes didn’t have marquetry like that footplate.. how long I wonder did it stay like that.

It's painted!

Fancy that, painted marquetry on a cab interior!

Evening All, I am please to confirm the Stirling Single is now in the UK with delivery due to us imminently once released by customs, we are than hoping to deliver all paid orders to our loyal customers within the next 12-14 days.

I understand this has been a long process for some people who ordered when the model was first announced but I can say it will be very worth the wait as you will have seen from the images recently.

For those who currently haven't ordered we will be announcing more information on this in due course once all pre orders have been shipped.

Cheers

Tom

Group Retail Operations Manager

SMG

I'll quote him, for those that don't want to scroll back.

I have a funny feeling that this Stirling Single model is going to usher in a new era in railway modelling. I don't know for sure, but just think that this might be the turning point a whole lot of people have been waiting for. There, the pre-grouping runes have been cast...

Edited by Dick Turpin
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

So, will there be further runs or is this likely to be it? Obviously collectors do not want there to be but how about others?

Is this the way RTR works now - order now or never?

That's why I went for 2,   everything else I require is scratch/kit/3D but the Single was .......difficult!

• Like 1

So, will there be further runs or is this likely to be it? Obviously collectors do not want there to be but how about others?

I originally wanted the preserved example as running in the 1980s because I saw it in steam. Then they cancelled that version and I lost interest.

Then I thought sod it, I may as well get one as if I did want one in future then I could be paying stupid prices for one. There aren't any decent kits available as far as I know, so it was either get one or miss out. FOMO as they now call it, Fear Of Missing Out.

So yes, I think it's now or never. Or at least quite a while before it's repeated.

Jason

I have a funny feeling that this Stirling Single model is going to usher in a new era in railway modelling. I don't know for sure, but just think that this might be the turning point a whole lot of people have been waiting for. There, the pre-grouping runes have been cast...

It is more than likely other pre group locos will appear to empty the wallets of loco collectors, accompanied by a lack of period rolling stock and a mix of frothing and bleating.

I originally wanted the preserved example as running in the 1980s because I saw it in steam. Then they cancelled that version and I lost interest.

Then I thought sod it, I may as well get one as if I did want one in future then I could be paying stupid prices for one. There aren't any decent kits available as far as I know, so it was either get one or miss out. FOMO as they now call it, Fear Of Missing Out.

So yes, I think it's now or never. Or at least quite a while before it's repeated.

Jason

I have ordered one with sound. I am paying a stupid price for it. I have nothing for it to pull. Oh well, I’m still looking forward to it. What a shame the Fell didn’t survive and end up in the NRM.

• RMweb Gold

I'm waging good money that it will come out again next year in BR lined black with a choice of early or late logo. :)

• Like 1

I hope so, certainly the full fat SECR liveried locos would also suggest that (still hunting for the C class for an affordable sum!) Although on the flip side the GNR Atlantic has hung around quite a while at locomotion with only the BR liveried version sold out I believe. What this could suggest with the market is that we see more models which are made to the number pre-ordered, with just a few additional for general sale instead of making a set number of 250/504/1000 and potentially having a large proportion sitting on the shelf.

attachicon.gif123_John_Souter,_Caledonian_Railway_1895_r600.jpg

attachicon.gif123_caledonian_gostude_r800.jpg

The detail is very fine.

attachicon.gif123_Caledonian_Image2_r800.jpg

The Lambie No.17 was, I believe, a 4-4-0 not a 4-2-2. 

For the Races to the North, to complement the Stirling Single, should we not have NER 1621 ?

Edited by drmditch
  • Like 2

The thing with the Wainwright C is that Bachmann had the sense to back it up with the Birdcage stock, hence the continued increase in price / demand. I don't think any other manufacturer has done this with their pre-grouping locos, limiting their appeal to collectors and people capable of kit building appropriate rolling stock.

The announcement by Locomotion that they are looking at possibly producing RTR stock suitable for the Single (and by default, their superb GN Atlantic) will no doubt have had a positive effect on orders for the locos.