K2yhaven

Andy Y

After months years of chewing over the next phase of Keyhaven everywhere I turned there were self-created compatability issues and also the legacy of bits that could have been better so I'd decided some time back that its offspring would recreate some of the old but improve upon it, especially from an operation viewpoint, and take the idea a stage further.

If I keep deliberating and looking for problems it'll never happen so now is the time of year to make a start, a time when you can traipse in and out of the house fetching and cutting things without turning the rest of the house distinctly nippy.

Wood1.jpg

A pile of wood, today.

A picture of a pile of wood shouldn't really merit an illustration but it's there to say that I thought that part through too and saved myself a whole bundle of time in return for a fiver by getting Jewson to cut the ply. It seems fewer and fewer of the DIY tin sheds actually trust their staff to cut bent timber in straight lines or for customers to not end up with splinters and claim inordinate levels of dosh for psychological trauma of timber related injuries. It's hardly top quality but with the construction techniques I'll be using it won't be a problem.

Wood2.jpg

Within 30 minutes a ply sandwich forms the first 3'6" x 2' baseboard frame, fairly lightweight and reasonably rigid (well it will be when the cross-member goes in when I've finally decided on point locations). Another layer of ply or foamboard will sit upon the ply deck. I was tempted to go with foamboard for the whole thing but some recent experiences told me I'd possibly get frustrated with the amount of bracing required to eliminate any variations in level that could happen if unsupported.

Another timesaver was to use a staple gun as the principal tool rather than ommer'n'nails or screwing it together.

Wood3.jpg

So what will K2yhaven look like? It will be the equivalent of turning the existing layout through 90 degrees (on the right of the plan) with the station at 90 degrees to the quay across the back of the layout. The station will be a terminus formed from a truncated branch route. The left foreground will be a boat yard with a ramp down onto a car ferry with the centre foreground being the harbour water.

Wood4.jpg

My target is to get it reasonably complete by Taunton next April.

The topic will run here but significant posts will be copied over to the blog as a digest.

• RMweb Premium

Andy

Nice to see you starting after hearing so much about your plans over the last months years!

Oooh a train turntable! Nice idea - might use that myself. :D The only thing to consider about a turntable with an odd number of roads is that one runs down the centre line - this could be an interface issue if you were planning on using a big bolt through the top as a pivot, not so much if the pivot is 100% underneath.

PS has this extension been prompted by the need to fit on one of each of the new Blue Pullmans everyone is frothing about - they'd look nice in a harbour setting....

I hope the train ferry could be kept

That'll still be there alongside the quay. The big project will be the car ferry, nothing too dominating but a hybrid around the MV Freshwater or MV Lymington sized boats; it's also an opportunity to make use of the ever improving range of road vehicles. All I need to do is fit a plane in somewhere to accommodate all transport modes. No, I can't fit a Sunderland in the harbour! rolleyes.gif

they'd look nice in a harbour setting....

I'll have to stick with a 3-car BP or sink one offshore. ;)

Hopefully the centre bolt won't be too large, if not I'll go to an even number of roads as you say.

• RMweb Gold

And you really believe April is a realistic (sic wink.gif) target? rolleyes.gif You are aware that we guys don't have a 9 month gestation period, right? wink.gif

Seriously: nice construction job Andy smile.gif

I got Felton Lane to an exhibit-able level in just over 6 months, Andy's got over a month longer than thatohmy.gif blink.gif

Gauntlet well and truly thrown down now...biggrin.gif Good luck Andy.

• RMweb Premium

I'll have to stick with a 3-car BP or sink one offshore. ;)

Hopefully the centre bolt won't be too large, if not I'll go to an even number of roads as you say.

Off-shore BP reef, now there's an idea... there will be plenty of Triang versions going cheap on eBay in a few months time.

• RMweb Gold

All I need to do is fit a plane in somewhere to accommodate all transport modes. No, I can't fit a Sunderland in the harbour! rolleyes.gif

How about a Catalina? Very location-appropriate...

• RMweb Gold

Are you thinking of going third rail for the station Andy, or will it be a 2 or 3H (class 205 for those slightly younger readers ;) ?)

How about a Catalina? Very location-appropriate...

How very tempting, not sure many were about late 60s though. Maybe I just beef up the sound of a plane in the background soundtrack.

Are you thinking of going third rail for the station Andy, or will it be a 2 or 3H (class 205 for those slightly younger readers ;) ?)

I'd like to be able to run it in various snapshots of the late 60s from Ivatt+push/pull, I've got a 3H ready to knock up for the post-steam pre-3rd rail era (they did do Lymington in the transition period) and there's a plan to place the 3rd rail (thanks to that damned Bachy EPB being so good!).

• RMweb Gold

How very tempting, not sure many were about late 60s though. Maybe I just beef up the sound of a plane in the background soundtrack.

According to wiki, there's one "stored" just along the coast at Lee on the Solent. Which was news to me!

PBY-5A, 48423 JV928" (RAF), S Southern Aircraft Consultancy Inc, Lee-on-the-Solent, UK

What state it's in, I've no idea. It is ex-RAF, so maybe a candidate. RAF Calshot (the flying boat base) closed in 1961, though...

Incidentally, the Calshot lifeboat recently snagged itself on, and pulled up, the propellor of a sunk Blackburn..

• RMweb Gold

Hmmm, so I promise the good Captain an 'L' shaped harbour layout for next April, and along comes another one...

Looks a good plan, Andy, very interesting to operate.

Stu

Lovely to hear of the new plan - I'd love to see a sketch or 3d mock up as I just can't visualise it! I loved the concept and the outcome with Keyhaven - I wonder if by including a station you're trying to squeeze too much into a small area? What era will it be based Andy?

Good luck - and I'm watching this topic (literally) with interest :)

What era will it be based Andy?

It'll be late 60s James; I'll try and sketch it out at some point. Hopefully it should feel less cramped than the old one.

Got the crayons out and had a scribble.

K2map.jpg

And then tried to put it into a 'real world' context.

K2mapa.jpg

That's definitely not to scale, that ferry would be huge!

For anyone who hasn't been to Keyhaven (which is probably in excess of 99% of the population) this snap shows where the car ferry ramp would be.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/19508

• RMweb Premium

That'll still be there alongside the quay. The big project will be the car ferry, nothing too dominating but a hybrid around the MV Freshwater or MV Lymington sized boats;! rolleyes.gif

Is this inspired by a certain CalMac ferry on another thread............... Drool..........wink.gif Now a working roll on roll off ferry. that would be impressivewink.gif

That's actually a neat design, Andy.

Though, of course I'm going to suggest a move to the "Dark Side" and a dock in Brooklyn with lots of street running and the usual urban sleaze.........

Best, Pete.

For anyone who hasn't been to Keyhaven (which is probably in excess of 99% of the population) this snap shows where the car ferry ramp would be.

Strangely enough, we were down that way on holiday last week and went out to Hurst Castle and took some pictures along the shingle spit of the sunset and moon reflecting on the water. Not sure any of the pictures would be much use to you though.

Look forward to watching this develop.

• RMweb Gold

This looks great Andy. The end-on view of the track on the right is something I've always wanted to do, and you've show here how it can be done in a small space - very inspiring. Of course, the narrowness of OO gauge might be fairly obvious in such end-on views, but hopefully the inset track will help minimize this issue, as will the small store and maybe some strategic placing of lesser items in between the tracks to divert the eye?

I really like the reed beds, they should provide for some interesting modelling and photos, and will give an interesting contrast to the built up area.

I'll have to stick with a 3-car BP or sink one offshore. wink.gif

I believe old railway coaches are sometimes dumped on seabeds as part of efforts to rehabiltate degraded fish habitats (apparently fish just love 'em). Prototype for everything laugh.gif.

Hi Andy,

Very impressive indeed!

Is this your way of 'geeing up' all of us in the 2010 challenge who haven't done a lot lately? Ha, ha!

I'm loving the train table and will be most interested to see it come together.

Cheers,

John E.

P.S. I hope you get plenty of 'me time' in order to get cracking on with this! Shhh!

It will be the equivalent of turning the existing layout through 90 degrees (on the right of the plan) with the station at 90 degrees to the quay across the back of the layout.

I'm confuddled, are you rebuilding the original from scratch or 'just' doing the left hand portion to sit alongside the original layout?

Archived