A forum area specifically and only for recording ideas and progress of individual's challenge entries in accordance with the challenge.

Stubby47's Project #1 - DM Four Mill Something

• RMweb Gold

I have sort of thinned the strips of foil, but then realised that a decent marker pen on the top of the paint should also replicate the edges of the tin.

So the top / apex run of sheets has been added as one piece.

post-7025-0-77336600-1536150058_thumb.jpg

post-7025-0-03094800-1536150070_thumb.jpg

And yes, the window does look a bit un-vertical - that's because it is.

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I do like the way the side window appears to be giving up the ghost and in the next year may crash to the ground. Excellent modelling of decrepitude .

Yes, yes, of course that's how I designed it from the beginning (2nd version), it's got nothing to do with working things out on the fly and c*cking them up.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Big decision time.

I've not touched this layout, apart from the Nissen hut,for a good few months now.

It's supposed to be complete by now, it's also supposed to be at an exhibition in December, but I've lost all interest.

Tinner's Forge is a lot more me, small, subtle and easily managed. This is too big to go in the loft, and just in the way in the garage.

So, I'm seriously considering scrapping it. The buildings of course will be stored and re-used, the track can be lifted and the wood recyled into the next project.

I've measured the garage and I could get a 14ft layout in, probably as a permenant one. 10ft scenics & 4ft traverse FY.

Thoughts, anyone?

• RMweb Premium

Big decision time.

I've not touched this layout, apart from the Nissen hut,for a good few months now.

It's supposed to be complete by now, it's also supposed to be at an exhibition in December, but I've lost all interest.

Tinner's Forge is a lot more me, small, subtle and easily managed. This is too big to go in the loft, and just in the way in the garage.

So, I'm seriously considering scrapping it. The buildings of course will be stored and re-used, the track can be lifted and the wood recyled into the next project.

I've measured the garage and I could get a 14ft layout in, probably as a permenant one. 10ft scenics & 4ft traverse FY.

Thoughts, anyone?

Only you can work out what you really want Stu, but I woudl be looking at something that could eventually be incorporated into the loft layout complex.

Having said that, 14 feet would give the monorail a decent run...

Good luck!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks John.

The loft layout is also probably never going to happen.

The loft itself is uninhabitable for too many months of the year, plus when the ladder is down it's inconvenient for the rest of the landing.

The garage has more usability, less household disruption and copes with generated mess much better.

It will need a whole new racking/shelving system to store all the existing garage stuff (decorating , gardening, etc), as well as the railway modelling materials, so a bit of planning/negotiating will be needed.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks John.

The loft layout is also probably never going to happen.

The loft itself is uninhabitable for too many months of the year, plus when the ladder is down it's inconvenient for the rest of the landing.

The garage has more usability, less household disruption and copes with generated mess much better.

It will need a whole new racking/shelving system to store all the existing garage stuff (decorating , gardening, etc), as well as the railway modelling materials, so a bit of planning/negotiating will be needed.

Hi Stu

My manshed when I lived in Essex was known by the rest of the family as the garage. It is amazing what stuff you need to pull out from under the layout before you can dismantle it to take it to a show.  :swoon:  I had the tumble dryer under it at one time . I use to time my winter visits when there were clothes that needed drying. A tad humid but lovely and warm. With the added bonus of not be told off because I forgot to switch the heater off. :blackeye:

Now practice these expressions, preceded with "If I had a model railway in the garage".....  "I will be out from under your feet", "No more model stuff in the house" , "You can watch what ever telly program you want my dear" and  "I will keep it tidy." :rtfm:

Number two is of course a little fib but don't let on. :secret:

Number four is only an expression of intent. :mosking:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Is there a section of the layout that could be used independently as a small/micro?

Otherwise I vote for scrapping it. Life is too short. As long you promise to keep those nice buildings  :)

Big decision time.

Thoughts, anyone?

I hate having to scrap anything but sometimes things just dont work out, maybe the fact that you're thinking about it kind of answers your question as to what to do. Just salvage whatever you can, maybe you could make a Micro layout? As Mikkel said life's too short, onwards and upwards to your next layout.

Steve.

• RMweb Gold

I had another look at the garage space last night.  A definite change is on the way, a 14ft x 2ft layout will be built, by the end of April next year.  Why that deadline?  No.1 daughter is getting married and the extended families will be descending from points north, so I want to have something to show that reflects what I've been doing for the last dozen years. 

So, this layout will be scrapped - sorry, recycled - fairly soon.  If I can manage it, Tinner's Forge will also form part of the garage layout, albeit as a temporary branch added when the mood takes me. 

I'll start a new thread in due course.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Uh-oh.

Seeing the thread on the 009 test track, it got me thinking I could re-use the buildings and create a little 009 roundy, with a standard gauge wagon transfer siding, and I'd have a little layout to play with.

And the more I think this is a really silly idea, the more I think I'll probably end up doing it.

And I could take it to the Hayle Christmas Exhibition, which is the first week of December.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

This is a possible layout plan.

The track entering from the right and then leaving through the larger door would form a circle 'round the back'.

The standard gauge track would be a short stub from the FY, just enough to deliver / collect a standard gauge wagon to/from the transporter wagons.

The office block & shed are from the earlier layout, I'll need a diamond crossing, and the yard area will be stone setts or similar.

There might be room to add the Nissen hut too.  The near side (as viewed below) will also have a side-screen, and the whole will be in a cameo-style presentation.

post-7025-0-11680400-1541511149_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Hush you.

Anyway, Pecketts aren't narrow gauge.

They are small little chaps though.....they will fit into a narrow gauge engine shed....

post-14122-0-17571600-1541542829_thumb.jpg

• Like 2