Peco Bullhead Points: in the flesh

AJ427

• RMweb Premium

From reading the thread the rails aren't as firmly held in the chairs as the flat bottom rail to it's mounts so that may help explain it? And perhaps the pack is designed to be a one size fits all for later additions to avoid having multiple pack sizes?

oh I have no doubt that there were lots of seemingly sensible reasons behind the change. But these are all very short sighted. You have to follow the thinking all the way through... the life of a plastic pack doesn’t just end when the customer receives their product, it goes on, and on, and on.

The peco plactic packaging is made of PET - the same stuff that is used widely for plastic bottles... which despite its suitability for recycling is emerging as one of the worst contributors to plastic pollution. And remember that even when recycled, this doesn’t make the stuff go away... it just becomes another plastic product that also needs recycling. Ad infinitum!

Old fashioned cardboard is just so much more sensible.

Rant over.

Phil.

Give or send the preferably un-scratched empty packets to you nearest prolific builder of model coaches, buildings or similar, to be cut up with minimal waste and used as glazing? Or find some other penny-pinching re-user of materials out there to gratefully receive the clear plastic.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Give or send the preferably un-scratched empty packets to you nearest prolific builder of model coaches, buildings or similar, to be cut up with minimal waste and used as glazing? Or find some other penny-pinching re-user of materials out there to gratefully receive the clear plastic.

That is exactly what I do... I am hanging onto it for platform canopy glazing... scratches and all.

But nationally, I bet a lot of it simply ends up in the bin.

oh I have no doubt that there were lots of seemingly sensible reasons behind the change. But these are all very short sighted. You have to follow the thinking all the way through... the life of a plastic pack doesn’t just end when the customer receives their product, it goes on, and on, and on.

The peco plactic packaging is made of PET - the same stuff that is used widely for plastic bottles... which despite its suitability for recycling is emerging as one of the worst contributors to plastic pollution. And remember that even when recycled, this doesn’t make the stuff go away... it just becomes another plastic product that also needs recycling. Ad infinitum!

Old fashioned cardboard is just so much more sensible.

Consumers today want to see what they are buying (particularly if they haven't bought the product previously), cardboard prevents that unless the product is opened and handled - and consumers don't want to buy opened products.

Also, sealed plastic is preferred by retailers for theft prevention - cardboard can easily be opened and the item removed.

• RMweb Premium

There's a hell of a lot more plastic used in the actual trackwork than the packaging. I can think of loads of uses for the Pecoplassi wrapping. However I am hoping that some time soon the packaging on MR stuff will be edible. 

Phil Yerbelly

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Consumers today want to see what they are buying (particularly if they haven't bought the product previously), cardboard prevents that unless the product is opened and handled - and consumers don't want to buy opened products.

Also, sealed plastic is preferred by retailers for theft prevention - cardboard can easily be opened and the item removed.

Almost exactly what I was in the middle of typing, only better put...

Thanks

Dave

• Like 1

I don't disagree with the benefits of plastic - but why is the packaging so much bigger than it really needs to be? It is a full 4" longer than the turnout and 2" longer than the Code 100 equivalent.

This requires extra space for storage and extra cost for shipping as the plastic packaging is also a lot heavier than the old cardboard.

Steve

Model Railway Imports

Canada

• RMweb Premium

There's a hell of a lot more plastic used in the actual trackwork than the packaging. I can think of loads of uses for the Pecoplassi wrapping. However I am hoping that some time soon the packaging on MR stuff will be edible.

Phil Yerbelly

Well there is edible underwear, so why not edible points?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Um... don't code 75/100 come in cardboard boxes now?

Edit to say I haven't seen any peco points for a long while, they certainly used to come on boxes when I were a lad.

Edited by Tim Dubya

• RMweb Gold

I don't disagree with the benefits of plastic - but why is the packaging so much bigger than it really needs to be? It is a full 4" longer than the turnout and 2" longer than the Code 100 equivalent.

More space on the back to explain Unifrogs and provide wiring diagrams?

Martin.

This requires extra space for storage and extra cost for shipping as the plastic packaging is also a lot heavier than the old cardboard.

Steve

Model Railway Imports

Canada

Ready for an extra large radius point?

Or a sensible radius three way point?

It does look to me like forward thinking.

A couple of coppers on surplus material per unit is more than recovered when you only need to order and stock one size pack rather than several. 

As an up market premium product they seem to want to make an impression with the display.

Bernard

• Like 2

I'm definitely happy. Peco will be getting some more of my money when the new additions to the range are released. My layout design was anticipating them also releasing crossings, slips, the medium and curved turnouts. If they follow through on the latest announcements then I should have everything I need in lovely bullhead rail, so I'm a happy boy. ☺️

Have Peco announced what are the next releases in this series?

I emailed Peco last week.  They said that there would be something to announce in mid-February, but it looks as though we already have the gist of what will be announced.

Well done Peco with this track and the Unifrog configuration.  Unifrog is the way to go, especially if you use DCC.

I've already done proving / gauging tests on what will run through the points (switches) and I am very pleased with the result.  Most of my old stuff (which I should have disposed of years ago), and certainly anything I bought after 1985, will run through quite happily.  The only exceptions were an old Lima LMS parcels parcels bogie van and the tender of an old Hornby A3 (funnily enough the loco was fine) which bumped slightly on top of the chairs.  I can re-wheel these minor cases if I can be bothered.  (There was a recent article on this site about upgrading the Lima van, which is why I dug it out and tested it).

As an aside, the Tillig code 83 points and flexible track and C&L flexible track all passed my gauging tests.  Tillig were on my short list before Peco produced Code 75 bullhead track and points and may still be used if necessary (if Peco don't manufacture all the other switches and crossings quick enough).   

I plan to use Peco Code 75 bullhead for for my next layout.  I just wish they had produced it sooner.

Peterfgf

Edited by peterfgf
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I emailed Peco last week.  They said that there would be something to announce in mid-February, but it looks as though we already have the gist of what will be announced.

Well done Peco with this track and the Unifrog configuration.  Unifrog is the way to go, especially if you use DCC.

I've already done proving / gauging tests on what will run through the points (switches) and I am very pleased with the result.  Most of my old stuff (which I should have disposed of years ago), and certainly anything I bought after 1985, will run through quite happily.  The only exceptions were an old Lima LMS parcels parcels bogie van and the tender of an old Hornby A3 (funnily enough the loco was fine) which bumped slightly on top of the chairs.  I can re-wheel these minor cases if I can be bothered.  (There was a recent article on this site about upgrading the Lima van, which is why I dug it out and tested it).

As an aside, the Tillig code 83 points and flexible track and C&L flexible track all passed my gauging tests.  Tillig were on my short list before Peco produced Code 75 bullhead track and points and may still be used if necessary (if Peco don't manufacture all the other switches and crossings quick enough).   

I plan to use Peco Code 75 bullhead for for my next layout.  I just wish they had produced it sooner.

Peterfgf

. I have had similar results Peter, with one notable exception. As early as #2 in this thread I expressed concern about the location of the railbreaks being very close to the frog, and the potential risk of shorting out. Well I have one loco that persistently does this on just one point that admittedly has been laid slightly curved. The offending loco is a Bachmann deltic - a wheel back in the leading bogie makes a momentary contact with the opposite polarity rail.

It is an overcomeable problem, but the message here is that the electrical polarity tolerances are very tight indeed, and tinkering with the point geometry does therefore carry a risk.

Phil

• 2 weeks later...