Kernow Models Beattie Well Tank

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

One thing's for sure, even if the final product does end up with one or two tiny niggles about it, you won't find anyone else producing a R-T-R Beattie Well Tank in a hurry. Having seen the latest published photos of it, it does look the part. And if you've got a problem with the loco, what else does it look like, if not a Beattie Well Tank?! :P

In photography, there is a minority of folk who apparently spend their time photographing test charts, to decide whether or not the latest lens or camera is up to the mark. The majority just take pictures. In RTR purchasing, there is a comparable minority who put fidelity before fun. Presumably, they know where their priorities lie....

• RMweb Premium

Well, looking for photos of Wadebridge Station (there's a project I have in mind) i was directed by Google to the SEmG site and a photo of a BWT. Now there's several pages of photos of the last three locos contained there.

My link 1

My link 2

My link 3

What really struck me, looking at the various photos taken in various light conditions and at various angles, was how different the shape, size, angles and proportions of the chimney and dome can look. In some the chimney can appear very tapered and others almost straight. The dome can look tall and thin through to fat and short.

Just proves very well that photos cannot be relied upon for dimensional accuracy. If choosing between photo interpretation and a series of measurements from a real example, I know which I'd back!

Go on, keep an open mind and have a look.....

Well, looking for photos of Wadebridge Station

My link 1

My link 2

My link 3

What really struck me, looking at the various photos taken in various light conditions and at various angles, was how different the shape, size, angles and proportions of the chimney and dome can look. In some the chimney can appear very tapered and others almost straight. The dome can look tall and thin through to fat and short.

There is a slight snag with some of the photos in those links, the proportions have been mucked up!

4th picture down here http://www.semgonline.com/steam/0298_02.html

compared to opening the direct link: http://www.semgonline.com/steam/pics/mm_30585-1.jpg

Basically someone has coded a frame to put the picture in that isn't as wide as the actual picture and its been squashed (in the example above frame 450x321, actual picture 500x321). Dapol themselves have had the nasty habit of doing this themselves with CAD drawings and photos.

Generally you can tell which photos have got the wrong frame size as the dome looks really narrow :laugh:

• RMweb Gold

I'm not a particular fan of the prototype - don't hate it, but it's just never been on my list of "must have" locomotives - but the example Graham let me run on the weekend pretty much sold me on the spot. It's a really charming little model - the mere fact that it comes in a small box is itself very attractive - and it runs very well indeed, as I can attest. The connecting rods are fantastically fine, like something you'd expect in P4. I will be ordering one, that's for sure.

• RMweb Gold

All this talk praising the loco is making me begin to regret cancelling my order. With so much new stuff in the pipeline this year, I had to cut the New Loco Acquisitions Department budget, and the Beattie was one of the casualties...

And you call yourself Captain Kernow! laugh1.gif But yes I do agree with you there is a lot out there at the moment to spend ones pennies on! I was cunning and put the money back in an envelope with 'Do not spend, Beattie fund!' Sat there for about a year now! However I think the dust on the envelope is worth more than the current interest rate! tongue.gifwink.gif

TBH having slept on this, I probably wouldn't take a saw to the loco to replace no-sprung buffers! It's beautiful, really nice little model and the effort needed to correct such a minor thing isn't worth it! So long as I can get an Alex Jackson on the front and back, with a P4 wheels set I'm happy! (Might put a driver and fireman in there too!)

• RMweb Premium

Totally agree. Like I said in the Class 22 thread:-

"From a business point of view then it's tricky to know when to stop tweaking I guess. Assuming the first pass at the model is 95% rivet counter proof then will the extra time and money required to make the model 99% rivet counter proof really be recouped in extra profit from extra sales? Personally I doubt it in general."

Equally, if not more, applicable to the Beattie.

I agree that there is a danger some people's expectations are simply too high nowadays. This is partly down to the incredible standards that are being acheived with some models. But then, for no obvious reason, for another model it's not quite right in spite of the promise from the CAD images. In this respect the comment about the difficulties getting changes made to pre-production models is interesting and may be more widespread than we as modellers are aware of. For example the Hornby Class 60 might be its best RTR diesel simply because the factory got the tooling right first time, which it didn't for other models. If correct, it does stress the need for the CADs to be as accurate as possible if making changes once the tooling has been cut is difficult.

In the case of both the BWT and the Class 22 (and other Kernow commissions in the queue such as the D600 Warship), they will be the first and probably only RTR versions for many a year so a line can be drawn when no further changes can be entertained on cost/sales grounds. I would suggest that this is more difficult, however, when an RTR version already exists, such as the Western now being developed by Dapol. For me, it needs to be better and more accurate (but not perfect I should add) than the existing Heljan one or I will not buy it. So what does Dapol do if the factory is reluctant to (or says it can't) make changes to the tooling that Dapol considers essential for the commercial viability of the model?

So to get back on thread, to me the BWT looks a BWT from the photos I've seen and if it fitted my modelling plans, I would buy one.

• RMweb Premium

In the case of both the BWT and the Class 22 (and other Kernow commissions in the queue such as the D600 Warship), they will be the first and probably only RTR versions for many a year so a line can be drawn when no further changes can be entertained on cost/sales grounds. I would suggest that this is more difficult, however, when an RTR version already exists, such as the Western now being developed by Dapol. For me, it needs to be better and more accurate (but not perfect I should add) than the existing Heljan one or I will not buy it. So what does Dapol do if the factory is reluctant to (or says it can't) make changes to the tooling that Dapol considers essential for the commercial viability of the model?

So to get back on thread, to me the BWT looks a BWT from the photos I've seen and if it fitted my modelling plans, I would buy one.

I agree; the Western is a much more difficult proposition, presumably most of those who desperately wanted Westerns have bought Heljan ones and either lived with the compromises or done some modelling, particularly as the price of the Heljan model dropped. So the remaining potential market for a new Western consists largely of those who require a 99% rivet counter proof model. Producing a model for that market that will sell in the thousands (I imagine) necessary to return a profit sounds like a very tough challenge to me. Plus of course there's nothing to stop Heljan churning out some more of their Westerns to tempt modellers waiting until the Dapol one eventually turns up.

Yes if I had the money I'd but a BWT, but at the moment I don't, so I won't! :cry:

My apologies if anybody has already asked these questions :

1. Will there be electrical pickups to all wheels ?

2. Will the motor drive to one axle or two axles ?

3. Are there any traction tyres on the wheels ? (I hope not ! )

• RMweb Premium

Based upon the pre-production examples I have seen in operation

1. Will there be electrical pickups to all wheels ?
All four driving wheels have pick-ups
2. Will the motor drive to one axle or two axles ?
Two axles
3. Are there any traction tyres on the wheels ? (I hope not ! )
Certainly not!

• 3 weeks later...

Well Tanks are go!

Chris Trerise has just emailed to advise that all refinements to the Beattie's have been approved and the instruction to produce the first models has been given.

K2054 Beattie Well Tank 3329 OO Gauge Approved for Production!

After two long years of work we approved production of the Southern version of the Beattie Well Tank today. The model has been refined over many iterations and the finished version is shown on the pictures attached. The final version includes a modified coupling hook and revised decoration of the wheels and coupling rods. Included with the model is an accessory pack including vacuum pipes, fire irons and SR Route Discs. The model features a removable smokebox door to give easy access to the 6-pin DCC decoder socket which means DCC conversion can be undertaken without removing the locomotive body.

Delivery is expected within 8 - 10 weeks and we hope to be able to approve the BR versions very shortly.

Regular updates will be made through our website and email newsletter.

107.jpg

108.jpg

109.jpg

110.jpg

111.jpg

112.jpg

Thanks Andy. Gotta say it looks to be a beautiful model and worth all the input from everyone on here to get the final model right. LSWR/SR/BR(S) modellers are extremely fortunate, as its a fair bet modellers of other areas will be looking at this model with envy and wishing they were looking at their particular favourite loco.

Hope its okay to show a bit more of the detail....

post-6680-0-48983800-1311939138_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

And when you think the real things will be barely half the size of the standard RMW image photo that detail makes the wait more than worthwhile. Kernow say they are expecting to sign-off on the BR ones very soon meaning they can hopefully go through in the same production slot and be with us "dreckly".

"The model features a removable smokebox door to give easy access to the 6-pin DCC decoder socket which means DCC conversion can be undertaken without removing the locomotive body."

I am not in the least concerned that this model doesn't directly suit my modelling interest. If the progress mentioned in the quote above is generally adopted for tank engines (alternative sites, inside bunkers, underside of side tanks) then we are all gainers.

• RMweb Gold

I gotta say that is one lovely looking model. Who is going to build a yard to be shunted by a Sentinel and a Well Tank?

I could probably find a boxfile or two going spare...

• RMweb Gold

Andy beat me to it to post the images and press release from Kernow. Having got one of the samples in front of me I can totally agree with those comments about it being a lovely model, and finally the coupling hook is also now correct along with the blackened driving wheels. Having also been able to test run the engine I can also advise and confirm from earlier posts that it drives via gears to both driving axles, pick ups are fitted to all wheels and it is capable of hauling far more than the prototype would have done (and no tractions tyres either!)

An interesting compromise on the backhead in the cab to raise it above the full width splasher. http://media.photobu...Gala2010012.jpg

Indeed Craig I thought this was a neat compomise too, to allow clearance for the gear drive to the rear axle, and once a driver and fireman is in place I doubt it would be noticeable at all

And when you think the real things will be barely half the size of the standard RMW image photo that detail makes the wait more than worthwhile. Kernow say they are expecting to sign-off on the BR ones very soon meaning they can hopefully go through in the same production slot and be with us "dreckly".

Very much so as I have said before on my monitor the images are over twice the size of the model itself.

"The model features a removable smokebox door to give easy access to the 6-pin DCC decoder socket which means DCC conversion can be undertaken without removing the locomotive body."

I am not in the least concerned that this model doesn't directly suit my modelling interest. If the progress mentioned in the quote above is generally adopted for tank engines (alternative sites, inside bunkers, underside of side tanks) then we are all gainers.

It will be interesting to see if anyone else takes up this style of smokebox door and decoder location, the magnets are pretty strong and hold the door in place well.

• RMweb Gold

I could probably find a boxfile or two going spare...

I must confess that Boscarne Junction is looking very tempting for a layout design! Or even Wadebridge! Resist Nicholas, resist! laugh.gif

Regards,

Nick

• RMweb Premium

Resistance is useless. Except when wiring up lighting, of course ;)

Ponsangwyn Yard awaits. As worthy a home for a well-tank or three as anywhere beside the River Camel

Archived