Peterborough North

great northern

Coincidentally, it looked like Thompsons A1 Pacific 'Great Northern' curving over that viaduct at the beginning of the film. I smile at these BT films..... From building new modern steam engines to Corporate blues and a run down neglected railway in less than two decades. And all financed by cheap-day returns. It could never work. We have already seen where the freight went, and the future for most well-populated conurbations is most likely the tram.

It could be the A1/1 - but as a guess I'd guess an A2/3 either a Haymarket or Gateshead allocation I'd have thought.  

It could be the A1/1 - but as a guess I'd guess an A2/3 either a Haymarket or Gateshead allocation I'd have thought.  

The first time I saw that video I put it down as an A2/3 as well - but on a second viewing I think Larry's nailed it there. Look at the slope at the front of the deflectors - it's the A1/1 all right. The A2/3 deflectors don't have that slope at the front, they are straight edged. It looks like a Pullman train of some form - the up (down? forget which way it is to London!) Queen of Scots perhaps?

The first time I saw that video I put it down as an A2/3 as well - but on a second viewing I think Larry's nailed it there. Look at the slope at the front of the deflectors - it's the A1/1 all right. The A2/3 deflectors don't have that slope at the front, they are straight edged. It looks like a Pullman train of some form - the up (down? forget which way it is to London!) Queen of Scots perhaps?

Hi

Totally agree, definitely 60113 Great Northern.

Regards

David

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert

On checking up in my Tropical Aquarium Fishes guide it looks like a member of the species "Synodontis". There is a photo of one subspecies, namely Synodontis "angelicus" which, according to the book, is an uncommon species that is not often available on the market. The markings, colour and shape in the photo are very similar to yours and they can grow up to a maximum length of 20 centimetres. It is also described as a hardy, lively fish best kept in a dimly lit tank.

Hopefully this will be of assistance to you.

Unfortunately I have been unable to ascertain any class details, variants etc. and where they were shedded. (Nothing in the Green Books to go on.)

Eric

• RMweb Premium

Yikes Gilbert - that looks like a baby now, but then crocs are only 6" long at birth!

Great Eastern looks rather grand - whose is she?

Standard Bachmann, though she didn't start off as Great Eastern, which i think is the latest one Bachmann have done.

• RMweb Premium

Who weathered that fish shaped thing, 'cause I want one done like that please.........

Quack

P.S. Was it nine holes on Thursday G?

P.P.S. GE.....beautiful and that B17.....well, I'm lost for words.

"Was it nine holes on Thursday?" :nono: :ireful:  I'll set that catfish on you if you keep on like this. They have very big mouths you know, plenty big enough to swallow a duck.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I apologise for carping on about that game....I once (yes only once) did 9 holes short course in 24. Never ever got anywhere near that again. Golf gave me up in 1989 when one of my best golfing mates passed away at just 48.....very sad. 

Is that goldfish edible?

P

Standard Bachmann, though she didn't start off as Great Eastern, which i think is the latest one Bachmann have done.

Standard Bachmann? 

Does this mean that Bachmann has at last done a roller-bearing A1? Look closely and the evidence is there - round keeps to the axleboxes on the Cartazzi truck and tender. Is there also a single mechanical lubricator on the nearside? 

Since the lastest Bachmann A1 I photographed had none of these things, it looks like someone has done a bit of extra work. Tom or Tim? 

It looks very good.

Hi Tony,

Thank you for the compliment.  The roller bearings were made from 20 thou black plasticard using a leather punch.  I added them on the fronts of the original axleboxes after filing them flat.  While I was at it, I did those on 60156.

Cheers,

Tim

• RMweb Premium

Standard Bachmann? 

Does this mean that Bachmann has at last done a roller-bearing A1? Look closely and the evidence is there - round keeps to the axleboxes on the Cartazzi truck and tender. Is there also a single mechanical lubricator on the nearside? 

Since the lastest Bachmann A1 I photographed had none of these things, it looks like someone has done a bit of extra work. Tom or Tim? 

It looks very good.

Thanks Tony. I do heed your advice, you see. There are now a lot more A4's with the correct incorrect sixes too. A3's next!

• Like 1

Thanks Tony. I do heed your advice, you see. There are now a lot more A4's with the correct incorrect sixes too. A3's next!

I'm sure you've done all the research you need with regard to the A3s' front numberplates. However, of possible interest is that I've discovered that the following had the incorrect style to start off with and latterly got the correct style. One might reasonably expect that this was coincidental with their receipt of double chimneys, but this is not always the case. If you have any of the following, they'll probably need the correct style, but not exclusively necessarily for 1958. You need about a dozen or so books from Irwell, Ian Allan, the RCTS, Yeadon, Book Law and as many individual shots as you can muster.

They are - 35, 48, 52, 53, 58(?), 59 (wrong with both single, and double chimney to begin with), 68, 87, 88, 94, 110.

I'm sure you've also done the research with regard to the post-Gresley Pacifics' front plates. Just as a guide, for 1958, with the exception of 60515 (which changed in '58) and 60119 (which never did), all your Thompson/Peppercorn Pacifics should have correct plates.

I hope this helps, though I'm sure you know. 

Edited by Tony Wright