The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Ian, the 'blob' on the map was Arizona shaped but somehow they managed to move it nearer to the Canadian border hence my uncertainty about which state it was. I for one think its about time that the whole idea was scrapped and we stuck to BST. Tony, the converted chicken shed sounds familiar, it wasn't the Maldon club by any chance? I am quite happy to see static models at exhibitions, it gives a good chance to examine and admire the details and workmanship whereas others I know will walk past layouts where nothing is moving.

• Like 11

Another long day eventually getting home at 19:30. The day didn't go to plan either. A detour on the way home to Kidderminster for a quick job.

I have been suffering all day despite pain killers. I dislocated my shoulder over 25 years ago and it appears that I managed to sleep on it last night. Not recommended.

Time to find out what has been happening in the land of RM.

Back later

...I for one think its about time that the whole idea was scrapped and we stuck to BST....

I'd agree except for the fact that if we stuck to BST here, there'd be hell to pay, it's sure confuse the carp out of the folks that want to sunbath!!  :O  :jester:

• Like 1

Well that was an eventful day. I felt sick this morning as I headed into work and certainly was not on top of my game this morning (not that I ever am according to some). The main perpetrator of such comments was "working from home" today so at least there were no unannounced visits to prompt more criticism, just a load of emails demanding this, that and the other!

At the end of the day, as I let the children out the door, one of the older pupils in the school told me she missed being in my class as it was her best and most enjoyable time in school. Had it been appropriate i would have hugged her there and then! It was a small lift that I certainly needed.

Once the children had gone I raced out to visit the other school. The head was very good, understanding the delicate nature of my interest. I did not need to explain my situation. Some of their comments were enough to satisfy me that there was a clear understanding of the situation at our school - even referring to treating staff well and a rapid turnover in staff. I was impressed enough to complete the application this evening and it has already been submitted. Even though it will be a backward step (class teacher rather than deputy) I feel quite positive about the application. Whether I will be considered too qualified remains to be seen.

Once home I rang the union. It seems that my online renewal had not been processed. All sorted over the phone with Direct Debit sorted. Sadly the time it took meant the advice line had closed so they have kept my details and are due to call back tomorrow night. Tomorrow is the much dreaded course. Annoyingly I will need to pop into work in the morning because I left some paperwork behind which I will need to complete another of the additional jobs that were thrown my way. That will be tomorrow's job.

Have a good day all.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Well that was an eventful day. I felt sick this morning as I headed into work and certainly was not on top of my game this morning (not that I ever am according to some). The main perpetrator of such comments was "working from home" today so at least there were no unannounced visits to prompt more criticism, just a load of emails demanding this, that and the other!

At the end of the day, as I let the children out the door, one of the older pupils in the school told me she missed being in my class as it was her best and most enjoyable time in school. Had it been appropriate i would have hugged her there and then! It was a small lift that I certainly needed.

Once the children had gone I raced out to visit the other school. The head was very good, understanding the delicate nature of my interest. I did not need to explain my situation. Some of their comments were enough to satisfy me that there was a clear understanding of the situation at our school - even referring to treating staff well and a rapid turnover in staff. I was impressed enough to complete the application this evening and it has already been submitted. Even though it will be a backward step (class teacher rather than deputy) I feel quite positive about the application. Whether I will be considered too qualified remains to be seen.

Once home I rang the union. It seems that my online renewal had not been processed. All sorted over the phone with Direct Debit sorted. Sadly the time it took meant the advice line had closed so they have kept my details and are due to call back tomorrow night. Tomorrow is the much dreaded course. Annoyingly I will need to pop into work in the morning because I left some paperwork behind which I will need to complete another of the additional jobs that were thrown my way. That will be tomorrow's job.

Have a good day all.

Andy, a more positive response - the children know who their good teachers are!  Good luck and look as if you enjoy the course ... there will probably be feedback and if it looks like you enjoyed it it will not be what your $ expects.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 3

The shed/shop/fort is slowly getting organized. I've been doing a bit of electronicy stuff with servos and I decided it was high time I organized my resistor storage so it doesn't take ten minutes to find the one I need. There are 72 different resistor values in the set I tend to use, and as I didn't fancy buying 72 storage drawers for that I had (though I say it myself) a brilliant idea.

Test tubes! Quick Ebay search and I ordered 100 for $14.49 (free delivery).

I couldn't wait to tell Lorna, but her reaction was somewhat mixed. "Oh carp!" she said, "Now we're going to get a visit from the DEA."

• Like 1

Another recent ebay purchase was a 5 inch bore, 24 inch stroke, double acting hydraulic cylinder. "What TF are you going to do with that Andy?", you might well ask.

As it turns out, the fort takes quite a bit of heating and I'm going to have to cut and split a lot of wood before the winter. Conveniently, my tractor has a hydraulic pump that can power attachments so it should be a piece of cake to knock up a wood splitter that runs off the tractor. The tractor is only good for about 1700 PSI so I thought I better be generous with the cylinder bore. The piston should produce about 16 short tons force, which isn't all that much when it comes to splitting logs.

• Like 16

Morning all. For a change I managed a good nights sleep and feel refreshed.

Today should hopefully be a reasonably short fairly local day but we'll have to see if that actually happens.

Have a good day everyone

• Like 17

Our first lunch this year al fresco - with temperatures of 18 degrees, it would be rude not to!

Ah yes! You can't beat some of Al's hot cuisine. His brother, Fred Fresco, had a chippie in Preston, but I'm not sure if it's still there.

• Like 1

Morning All,

We have another nice bright and sunny morning in this part of the world.

Plus, the house painting is finished!

Time for a coffee

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 19

Good morning one and all

Last night's concert with Phil Cunningham and Aly Bain was more than excellent and I have one more CD to go in the hessian bag awaiting its turn to be played.  I have not seen Hogmanay TV since 2004 because I have been out of the country, in hotels where BBC1 is not always available.  My loss I guess.

The car is parked a bit close to a tree and getting into it could be tricky.  To save time I will take it on the fodder run and with any luck a more amenable space will be available when I return.   I have a a meeting in Welwyn this afternoon so the parking grief starts all over again this evening.

Any other business: nil.  Next meeting: tomorrow.

Warm thoughts to all, particularly those in distress for whatever reason.

Chris

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning Awl,

The time shift caught up with me and I didn't get to sleep for a long time, followed by waking late. 6 hours sleep was had...

This morning was a non advertised by the seaweed inspectors pea souper. Full beam was not used as it showed a white out. This required a careful drive  for the 25 miles into work. so careful that when I got out at work and walked round the front of the Landrover on the passenger wing hidden by the bonnet, I found a short coil of thick elastic rope still on the passenger wing not attached to anything. I must have left it there when removing the mast I had carried on Saturday!!!

The pea souper didn't stop the duty cockwomble, no matter what speed you are doing,he drives past, most days, no matter where you are in town, village or countryside, in his 700series Volvo estate, today I reckon he went past at about seventy plus and disappeared into the fog.

Norwich airport where the fog has now thinned a bit is reporting 200m visibility horizontally and  0 M visibility vertically but the first Aircraft are just taking off about half an hour late...

Time to continue with the major Calibration.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Bit of a misty start and rain showers promised for this afternoon. Still it will save needing to water anything. That looks a lovely place for a walk Polly.

Enjoy your day.

Don

• Like 13

Another recent ebay purchase was a 5 inch bore, 24 inch stroke, double acting hydraulic cylinder. "What TF are you going to do with that Andy?", you might well ask.

As it turns out, the fort takes quite a bit of heating and I'm going to have to cut and split a lot of wood before the winter. Conveniently, my tractor has a hydraulic pump that can power attachments so it should be a piece of cake to knock up a wood splitter that runs off the tractor. The tractor is only good for about 1700 PSI so I thought I better be generous with the cylinder bore. The piston should produce about 16 short tons force, which isn't all that much when it comes to splitting logs.

Now, if I'd seen GB post that I'd have been dialing 999 before I got to the end of the post!  :scared:  :jester: