Post a Bargain! (no discussions / questions) (was Bargain Hunters)

• RMweb Premium

Numerous posts about the Pros and Cons of Primark on here, whatever next? Posts about bargain Curtains ? :D

Especially ones to cover the open front of exhibition layout stands? :jester:

(Can't have anybody seeing whats under your baseboard!)

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Have to agree with Rodney. I think many of us tune into this thread to see latest bargains such as Keith's post on Heljans 23s . Trouble is these good posts are masked by lots of chaff on Primark etc. I know it's nice to be social , but can we restrict this thread to posts such as Keith's. I'm sure you can create another thread on Wheeltappers if you really need to discuss the relative merits of Matalan and Primark ( use them both, but it's irrelevant on here!)

For 7mm & I would think other minority his scales this thread seems pretty irrelevant as it inevitably is full of 00 gauge stuff which is of no interest to those who do not model in that particular scale.

Probably because of the relative popularity of OO compared to other scales, however books as sometimes featured in this thread are scale-irrelevant. Speaking of which, there is a new The Works in the St Enoch centre in Glasgow which has an Amberley Press volume on Highland Railway locos for £4.

• RMweb Premium

For 7mm & I would think other minority his scales this thread seems pretty irrelevant as it inevitably is full of 00 gauge stuff which is of no interest to those who do not model in that particular scale.

Does this mean that 7mm isn't a bargain scale? :jester:

There are plenty of non-4mm bargains out there that are useful to the modeller.

Books & tools to name but two. I've picked up stuff from Aldi and Lidl after info on here.

Cheers,

Mick

Back on topic.

Howes Models 20% off marked prices of everything except Heljan, Railmatch and ESU. Not sure if this applies to sales through their website, but certainly applies to stuff bought over the counter.

Just had  quick look on their site & nothing there at the moment.

• RMweb Premium

Probably or maybe they haven't updated the website yet ?

Copied from the Howes newsletter.

Important news from our Model Railway department! Due to the way our business is developing we have decided to concentrate solely on our Heljan UK spares, RailMatch Paint products and ESU/Howes sound decoders. Because of this we are discontinuing all other model railway products and are currently offering 20% off all but the aforementioned ranges. As the website prices have not been adjusted to take account of this discount, you will need to phone to place your order or call in to see us to take advantage of this great offer! PLEASE DO NOT ORDER THROUGH THE WEBSITE AS YOU WILL NOT RECEIVE THE 20% DISCOUNT

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

Hi does anyone know if this is an additional 20% or 20% of retail price

Andrew

It's 20% off marked prices, so I guess you need to be in the shop to see what the prices are. I bought a Bachmann O4 (31-001) for £93, and a Bachmann 7F (31-011) for £103.

It's 20% off marked prices, so I guess you need to be in the shop to see what the prices are. I bought a Bachmann O4 (31-001) for £93, and a Bachmann 7F (31-011) for £103.

Thanks for the information I'll give them a ring.

Thanks

Andrew

It's 20% off marked prices, so I guess you need to be in the shop to see what the prices are.

Second that, 'twas in there the other day.  Sadly I was after Railmatch paints so got all unnecessarily excited for a moment  :-(

Paul

May not be useful to many people, but if you're in Cardiff, the "Antique" shop in the Royal arcade (a few doors down from where the Ian Allen shop was), there are a number of small scale New Holland construction vehicles in the window and upstairs. They're boxed as 1:87, but look absolutely perfect for 1:76. Several types are there, some with caterpillar tracks and some wheeled types, so should be simple to convert into road-rail vehicles.

The were £3.50 each, or 4 for £12.

For Anyone with an o gauge or 16mm line looking for something cheap for the kids to run, or to modify/bash, tesco direct  have this American outline battery operated train set half price at 20 pounds, comes with oval of 32mm gauge  plastic track. ideal to run under the christmas tree!!

http://www.tesco.com/direct/cat-construction-express-train-set/101-9224.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=101-9224

• RMweb Premium

Hi does anyone know if this is an additional 20% or 20% of retail price

Andrew

I think you get an extra 20% off already discounted prices.

I spotted a Hornby LNER teak on the website in the mid £40s, which was already a bit below Hornby's SRP. I phoned to check and it's on it's way with the discount for £34!

Keith

Just walked over to Howes and bought the Heljan Metropolitan Electric for £100. Two left in the shop. They are selling all their railway stuff at 20% off, except the RailMatch paint, ESU and Heljan Spares. This includes tools and other paints. Very sad as I have been buying things from them since this week in 1985 when I arrived just down the Broad from them in Oxford.

Interestingly, in that time the Revell Flower Class Corvette (which I think was Matchbox then) has only gone up from £40 to £99.95. Compared to railway model price inflation, that's a bargain, especially as it now has self-adhesive wooden decking and metal pipe work and rails.

Paul

Archived