Lets go to birmingham 2011. Marylebone to Moor St

• RMweb Gold

here is something a bit different, recorded this a few weeks back and have spent a bit of time editing and adding music before publishing it to youtube..

this is the chiltern mainline recorded in time lapse at 1FPS, basically set the camera running in the 2nd mans side before i left london and turned it off once i arrived in Moor st (so as not to distract while moving) i then spent a few days getting some station shots and static shots inside the cab to make a nice little film.

recorded from 82303 with 67018 pushing (although its 67013 in the vid footage)

the music is by myself using garageband on the ipad, the first tune i've ever had a go at making and purely by chance the music break happened around banbury so i edited it slightly so it happened as the train stops

im quite proud of this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpgzNGNXHVc

if you search youtube for "lets go to birmingham" you will find the original 1960s version from paddington to snow hill filmed on a blue pullman

• RMweb Premium

Really enjoyed this, TVM! I take it that kettle parked at Moor St was the turnover engine for the trip back to London?

In case you don't already know that is 2885 from Tyseley, used as an ornament to "Westernise" the station a bit. It is unrestored but cosmetically tarted up, although the paint is somewhat faded since it was first parked there some years ago.

Keith

Superb job Jim, many thanks for that! I was all set to put in a route refresher for South Ruislip to Aynho..... don't need to now ;).

I notice you managed to catch yourelf on camera getting on the phone at West Wycombe...

Very enjoyable 4mins

I was surprised by the number and variety of bridges passed under.

Possibly would have preferred a slower speed though so I could have soaked up more of the infrastructure and atmosphere that for someone who virtually never travels on the railway - and never in thr front seat - doesn't normally get to appreciate.

• RMweb Gold

Great production Jim. Like Kenton, would very much like to see a slower speed version to soak up all the views.

Living down in the far south east corner don't get north of the Thames much....in fact had a trip up the East Coast to York a couple of weeks ago...and realised that my last trip on the East Coast prior to this had been on the Ian Allan Special to Doncaster Works hauled by City of Truro and Midland Compound 1000 :laugh: ........

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Great production Jim. Like Kenton, would very much like to see a slower speed version to soak up all the views.

not a problem to slow it down, the software i used to edit the vid can also slow it down by 50% so 8mins, any slower and it becomes blocky, i will also upload it in full 1080 HD now i have a decent internet connection

if i get a chance to do it when i finish work tonight i willl, i have already tried it while editing and its still viewable slowed down to a mere 950mph!!

Top stuff Jim! B) B) B) B)

I'm particularly impressed by the way you managed to drive the train into the platform and film it arriving ;) :lol:

Can I add a vote for a slightly slower HD version, as I'd like to have a bit of a gawp at the scenery as well.

I dont know the stretch of railway at all, but have seen the original film thousands of times and always wondered what it looked like today.

the stretch between Lemington and Snow hill I imagined all the yards would be gone and there wouldnt be so many lines, but its still a little bit of a shock to see it.

• RMweb Gold

Noticed there were plenty of Hi-viz around. Lots of work turning the route back into a proper mainline like it used to be.

Keith

yeah, 31 days til "chiltern mainline" is live, basically princes risborough to neasden is having enhanced speeds (and a new down line at south ruislip), the linespeed through the suburbs will raise from 60mph to 100mph, there are also new through roads in risborough and bi-di lines at gerrards and west ruislip to allow the faster trains to pass local stuff, aynho is raising from 40mph to 85mph too

gonna be a cracking line once its fully comissioned, hope it all goes to plan, looking forward to thundering through wembley at 100mph.

there is going to be an evening loco hauled train to kidderminster too

Archived