Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff

Those stiles look really good and of course the wall itself following the valley, I did notice the sheep fold up top as well.

They may only be small changes but they are important ones that help complete the whole.

Keep up the good work.

Envious of E.Yorks.

Thanks Jim.

Since sunday evening I seem to have done little else but build walls: completed the wall at the right end adjacent to the cutting, built the middle wall (bl**dy awkward because of the gradient!), extended the cross wall - the gap is where a gate will be fitted. Built-in 2 styles, to keep Chip happy!

Fitted the sheepfold and grassed the area below the wall. It's not apparent, but it's MEANT to be slightly greener as it's slightly lower down the fell!

The middle wall also has some decrepitude with bits missing.

Oh, and a few grass tufts.... I need to buy more. These were what I had left (mini Natur) from a few years back.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Built-in 2 styles, to keep Chip happy!

:imsohappy: :imsohappy: :imsohappy: :imsohappy: :imsohappy: :imsohappy: :imsohappy: :imsohappy:

It worked then!!!!

Chip: If people go out of their way to help me - as you have with your photos of stiles etc - then, if I can, I'm really happy to incorporate them into KL.

I'm going up Blencathra on Saturday, so a little bit more inspiration may be forthcoming (and more photos!)

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Jeff,

It must be very satisfying to look at what you have achieved so far.  It certainly does look the business.

I assume that you are going to work out which way the prevailing wind comes from before you put any trees in so that they are all windswept in the same direction?  Then you can have the sheep huddling behind things in the lee of the wind, apart from those standing on the broken wall!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Jeff

Absolutely brilliant. :locomotive:  :locomotive: A* for effort and result. :locomotive:  :locomotive:

I'm still trying to find the little change you mentioned though :jester:  :jester:

Duncan

Duncan - I love the way you manage to inject humour into a lot of your posts. Bearing in mind that I did - seriously (I didn't want to disappoint people) - say a little change, your post had me chuckling!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

It must be very satisfying to look at what you have achieved so far.  It certainly does look the business.

I assume that you are going to work out which way the prevailing wind comes from before you put any trees in so that they are all windswept in the same direction?  Then you can have the sheep huddling behind things in the lee of the wind, apart from those standing on the broken wall!

Funny you should mention that, Chris. Though I'd not considered the matter in detail, the wind over the fells is usually a prevailing westerly. If you look at the pics in post # 8356, I consider North is to the left (Carlisle direction) and the viaduct at the South end. For simplicity (it helps!), locos run North-South or South-North through KL station.

So the wind will be blowing towards the Fell as you look at the photos and the sheep will be cowering either in the fold or on the far side of it!!!!

Jeff

Good thinking, cap'n.  About the wind direction, I mean.  We have strong gales around NZ today, trees over, and some power outages down south.  But not as cold as KL!

edit; on perusing the photos Jeff, all I can say is, "Wow!" The photos may or may not be exactly as it looks to the naked eye. Is the light mostly natural or predominantly artificial?   Lovely stile (s) and I look forward to the effects of wind on trees and bushes, also that distinctive sheep-track effect which may or may not be part of the 'look'.

Edited by robmcg

... when I move I might get an 8 x 4 board a bit of Hornby track and NAIL it down just to run a train, hhhahaaaaa.

Bodgit the board / bored :no: :no: :no:

Back in 2004 I bought an 8' x 4' board to run a Hornby Coronation and Stanier carriages around a single oval, and look at me now!

It was a very good and quite simple thing to do. Some friends were a bit bemused, but I put that down to their youth. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Good thinking, cap'n.  About the wind direction, I mean.  We have strong gales around NZ today, trees over, and some power outages down south.  But not as cold as KL!

edit; on perusing the photos Jeff, all I can say is, "Wow!" The photos may or may not be exactly as it looks to the naked eye. Is the light mostly natural or predominantly artificial?   Lovely stile (s) and I look forward to the effects of wind on trees and bushes, also that distinctive sheep-track effect which may or may not be part of the 'look'.

Hi Rob.

The lighting is entirely artificial and the subtleties of texture and colour variation are swamped by the over-bright illumination. To the camera that is. The eye is a much more discerning instrument!

There is a blended green-dark green colour variation near the sheepfold and it hardly shows up in photos. You can just about see it in this pic - the dirtier areas are where the sheep frequent the most...

post-13778-0-57728400-1378847329_thumb.jpg

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, Jeff, Jeff, WOW :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

Now I need to get a move on, this is just fantastic mate, Love all hence about 200 ticks of like.

What more can a mere mortal such I say :no:

Bodgit :sungum:

Cheers Andy.

Glad you like it. A couple of days of inactivity had me clamouring to do some modelling. I decided to put the middle wall in - as you suggested. I wasn't too sure before I did it, but now it breaks up the Fell and adds interest.

I need to get a load more grass tufts and a few more packs of sheep. And a couple of Ratio/Wills gates wouldn't go amiss!

Jeff

Jeff, in all seriousness, what you are producing is natures equivielent of Jason and Al's industrial heartland.

You have taken a blank canvas and like Rembrandt or Picasso, and you have created a masterpiece.

It is like Constables Hay Wain, it talks to you, it tells the story with No Trains, No Buildings, An no Introduction, This is undoubtedly Devon, :no: sorry Scotland :no: sorry Settle and Carlisle at its best.

Nice one Boss :sungum:

Bodger :sungum:

Edited by Andrew P

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, in all seriousness, what you are producing is natures equivielent of Jason and Al's industrial heartland.

You have taken a blank canvas and like Rembrandt or Picasso, and you have created a masterpiece.

It is like Constables Hay Wain, it talks to you, it tells the story with No Trains, No Buildings, An no Introduction, This is undoubtedly Devon, :no: sorry Scotland :no: sorry Settle and Carlisle at its best.

Nice one Boss :sungum:

Bodger :sungum:

You are far too kind! I'm pleased with progress, but I'm my own worst critic. I've just been standing in the bunker looking things over for the last 30 minutes - from different angles etc - to see what's needed next. Of course, no imagination is really necessary - there's a prototype for whatever you want when you look at the fells. I also discovered a brand new, unopened, box of dark green grass clumps. These will be ideal for the area near the stream where water is more abundant and the grass is more verdant.

As you well know, this is an amazing hobby. You could spend all your time on one aspect of it, so trying to blend scenics to structures to locos..... great fun!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Brilliant work Jeff. This is streets ahead of what I have seen elsewhere (including Jenkinsons 0 gauge layout). Not by any stretch a critism but a suggestion one or two loose stones lying on the ground where the partly tumbled bit is would be apparent.

Don

Jeff

I've just been looking at the photos again and had a thought :scared:  :scared:

If this is the standard you can achieve with the scenic, I can't wait to see the results when you start creating the buildings :O  :sungum:   :O  :sungum:

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

Brilliant work Jeff. This is streets ahead of what I have seen elsewhere (including Jenkinsons 0 gauge layout). Not by any stretch a critism but a suggestion one or two loose stones lying on the ground where the partly tumbled bit is would be apparent.

Don

Thanks Don. And, as an established Lunester, you know that I rely on people like you to suggest things that I may overlook. The debris will appear once I've "grassed" the other side of the wall.

Please keep looking with your usual critical eye and let me know things you think might help. I can always ignore you!

Cheers,

Jeff 

• RMweb Premium

Jeff

I've just been looking at the photos again and had a thought :scared:  :scared:

If this is the standard you can achieve with the scenic, I can't wait to see the results when you start creating the buildings :O  :sungum:   :O  :sungum:

Duncan

Ah, but scenic work has always been the bit I really enjoy! Although I have to admit I'm crap with a paintbrush.

The best building work I've seen over the last year has been GeorgeT and Al (acg_mr)'s efforts. The latter has no idea how brilliant his creations are!

Thanks Duncan.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Amazing how basic structures turn into wonderful landscapes with a shake of this and a blob of that, not to mention some painstaking sticking together of microbits of clay.

Great stuff, Jeff.

A bit of detailing from real life you might like to incorporate..  A Landrover and trailer crossing the fells as seen from Kirkby Stephen station.

Please excuse the poor quality of the photos.

post-14049-0-22404000-1378855659.jpg

and really zoomed in...

post-14049-0-42768400-1378855699.jpg

The next day the field was full of cows.  I guess it's true of the fells as elsewhere that sheep and cows interchange because they eat down to a different level - all down to the size of their gnashers, I suppose.

Anyway, Jeff some superb modelling there.

Polly

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, just popped in 'cos I couldn't sleep.

AMAZING!

You have absolutely nailed the look and feel of the fells, brilliant mate, well done!

Al

Funny that you, too, struggle with sleep. I don't think I've managed more than 5 hours of broken sleep for months. I think the problem is that we have too many things we want to do. I resent going to bed when I'd rather be reading or in the bunker!

I'll be working on the next section of (currently brown) fell today. Amazing what a bit of grass and a wall can do. It'll soon be time for the sheep to take their place!

Jeff

And I woke up, switched on me Flip Flop for another look, :locomotive:  :locomotive:  :locomotive:  :locomotive:  :locomotive:  I have been saying for the last 3 years :no: :no: :no: (O.K. maybe I exaggerate a little) that you need grass to bring it to life.

Get a nice blue Sky next. :O

Then Bodgit :sungum: