Bachmann E4

Graham_Muz

I am having problems with derailments with my E4 running clockwise on my layout with radius 2 points and it is not the radial truck which is derailing. The train of Hornby Maunsell coaches and other locomotives are not derailing so the E4 seems to be sensitive to track problems. The E4 does not derail running anticlockwise although there is an identical point on the other side of the layout. It is now also making screeching noises although I have only run it for about three hours so it looks like I am going to have to take the body off to find out what the problem is.

post-17621-0-55625600-1430593445_thumb.jpg

post-17621-0-01626400-1430593472_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I am having problems with derailments with my E4 running clockwise on my layout with radius 2 points and it is not the radial truck which is derailing. The train of Hornby Maunsell coaches and other locomotives are not derailing so the E4 seems to be sensitive to track problems. The E4 does not derail running anticlockwise although there is an identical point on the other side of the layout. It is now also making screeching noises although I have only run it for about three hours so it looks like I am going to have to take the body off to find out what the problem is.

An above shot of the concerned are would help I feel

Thank you for your help. A picture from above as requested. The spirit level shows the board is not quite level. After adjusting the height the E4 ran clockwise in reverse through the point but still derailed when going forwards. Other locomotives including a Wrenn City of Liverpool, a Hornby Cheltenham and a Bachmann BR 4MT 2-6-4T did not derail here. The Cheltenham Model Centre had a couple in each livery when they had a stand at the Swanage Railway diesel gala last weekend so it looks like the E4s are not selling so well north of the Thames. The representative said she could understand them selling well on the south coast.

post-17621-0-34506700-1431340653_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

The Cheltenham Model Centre had a couple in each livery when they had a stand at the Swanage Railway diesel gala last weekend so it looks like the E4s are not selling so well north of the Thames. The representative said she could understand them selling well on the south coast.

I believe I have helped them a little with their overstocking on this item in SR livery....

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I believe I have helped them a little with their overstocking on this item in SR livery....

Ian Allan in Birmingham still have quite a few SR ones. (at a good price)

When I asked why they had them I was told they needed to get as many as they could to meet anticipated sales as they wouldn't easily be able to get any more!

As been hinted at before It looks like the retailers and not the manufacturers are expected to hold the stocks these days and take more of the financial risk.

Keith

Thank you for your help. A picture from above as requested. The spirit level shows the board is not quite level. After adjusting the height the E4 ran clockwise in reverse through the point but still derailed when going forwards. Other locomotives including a Wrenn City of Liverpool, a Hornby Cheltenham and a Bachmann BR 4MT 2-6-4T did not derail here. The Cheltenham Model Centre had a couple in each livery when they had a stand at the Swanage Railway diesel gala last weekend so it looks like the E4s are not selling so well north of the Thames. The representative said she could understand them selling well on the south coast.

I can see you've got a weak joint over the baseboard join before the point with a broken sleeper and a rail joiner sitting on top of the sleeper too which could be causing the loco to become unsettled and as you say the boards are not level. Is it a Peco Settrack point or a Peco Streamline Small radius? The former is a bit tighter than the latter and could be exacerbating the problem. The Wrenn Duchess with flangeless centre drivers and the Schools wouldn't have a problem so it's probably irrelevant to quote them so the nearest is your 4MT tank and there could be a slight difference in the back-to-backs or give in the chassis/axle area.

When manufacturers quote that an item will work on 2nd radius it's with an assumption that the track is well laid.

• RMweb Gold

Carrying on from what Andy has posted,a few of my locos are unsettled by barely perceptible track variations over a baseboard join on a curve,one of them coincidentally being the new E4 but only in forward direction and curiously not when travelling bunker first.

What is curious is that it seems to be derailing just before it hits the points. Check the spacing between the rails is still 16,5mm. It could be the track pins combined with where the rails joined have created a tight spot there. Equally check the back to back on the forward drivers to ensure they are 14.5mm and not larger.

Carrying on from what Andy has posted,a few of my locos are unsettled by barely perceptible track variations over a baseboard join on a curve,one of them coincidentally being the new E4 but only in forward direction and curiously not when travelling bunker first.

I generally find kit built locos will find tight spots invisible to the naked eye.

Thank you for your help. I will try and sort the track and baseboard out at our next meeting. The point is either Peco Settrack or Hornby. At least the Purbeck Model Railway Group has a permanent site now. Last year we had to dismantle the layout every week and load it into the car until the village hall let us use their loft.

Martyn from the Purbeck Model Railway Group has tightened the bolts on the baseboard joint so the joint is now level. I did not notice that the radial truck had derailed when I took the picture but the E4 ran well clockwise afterwards. It also had no difficulty hauling eight Hornby Maunsell coaches on a small layout with third radius points. I oiled all the bearings and took the body off undoing the three screws. There is a hole above the gear wheel for oiling. The sand box came off when I took the body off. Unfortunately some oil leaked into the Peco locomotive cradle while the body was off and that went onto the body when I reassembled it. The oil has cured the squeaking but I have run it for a lot less than 24 hours which is the time interval suggested in the instruction sheet. Our test track with 3' radius curves is now up but it is set up for DCC running and needs some tweaks. It will be interesting to see how the E4 performs on that layout with an analogue controller.

post-17621-0-05987600-1431595807_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I pre-ordered my LBSC E4 from EHattons.com for a guaranteed price of £76.46 on 15 May 2014. No sign of it there. EHattons' website shows it is due March to April 2015.

I think we have to be patient.It's worth also remembering that for quite some time now it has been Bachmann's policy to favour the smaller traders first when new models arrive for retail distribution. Prices new are almost uniform presently.This is a level playing field which many,including Bachmann,believe is good for the trade. Hattons are frequently later getting theirs. If you want "discount",you must look for those retailers who offer free delivery.They are out there if you look hard.With sincere apologies to the many Liverpudlians on this forum,there is life beyond E.Hattons.It only takes a click.....

• Like 1

I had a discussion with Hattons recently. They told me that they removed the engines from their site because they were going to be unable to honour the guaranteed pre-order price! Bit annoying for me, as I had the Southern version on pre-order. Has anyone actually got theirs for the pre order price?

Will you please let me know where it is available? According to Bachmann's website as at Tuesday May 12 35-075 E4 in LBSCR livery is due May-June. None available yet at Cheltenham Models, Kernow or Gaugemaster.

EHattons have still got it on my list of pre-orders but they have altered the date from 15 May 2014 to 4 September 2014 and the price from £76.46 to £93.46. I cannot shop elsewhere as I am already bound by my contract with EHattons. I assume that they will post it to me when it is available.

• RMweb Gold

Will you please let me know where it is available? According to Bachmann's website as at Tuesday May 12 35-075 E4 in LBSCR livery is due May-June. None available yet at Cheltenham Models, Kernow or Gaugemaster.

EHattons have still got it on my list of pre-orders but they have altered the date from 15 May 2014 to 4 September 2014 and the price from £76.46 to £93.46. I cannot shop elsewhere as I am already bound by my contract with EHattons. I assume that they will post it to me when it is available.

You surely are not bound by a "contract" .You can cancel your order at any time. You most certainly can shop elsewhere. Remember it will take a little while for the model to be distributed to retailers. I have ordered just with The Track Shack. Post free delivery.

Don't panic !

Peters Spares has 2 of the LBSC version on sale on a world famous auction site, maybe a small delivery, with more to follow?

Just received an email from Hattons, due May / June... so guess it's a small delivery, or they haven't been told, or they haven't been sent out yet.

Edited by Bluebell Model Railway