Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

If you rode on a 105 you were rattled to pieces I went from Norwich to Great Yarmouth in one and whilst waiting to start every window frame rattled as did every part of the seats and the doors did not seem to fit. properly.Once we started the engine fumes came into the cabin and the driver seemed to be having great trouble driving the thing  changing gear seemed a trial judging by the great leaps forward as we accelerated from stops.These units should have never been built and obviously were a cheapskate train to get rid of steam,whereas the Gloucesters were class did they not have a glass partition with engraving on them with comfortable seats Dr Allan praised them in his books on E Anglia.

Cravens 105 units were our bread & butter at Cambridge. I absolutely love them, unlike most others on here. Around about 1964-65 ish we had a bit of a dmu re-shuffle, gaining some other 105s, which really were worse than ours. Also 101 and 104 on the Birmingham trains - now they were really bad, even I avoided power cars on them, for a short trip to Ely. Our standard fare until then was early Met-Cam (pre-101) which I did not like (seemed gloomy inside to me), Derby LtWt, Wickham (a classy 101 in my opinion, would love a model), and 105 (everywhere!). My theory is, that up till this time at least, we had had them all from new, and they had been looked after. Beyond then, the cast-offs came to us rough, and of course the general run-down of BR during the blue period started, the dmu's of course becoming older all the time. 

Stewart

Edited by stewartingram
  • Like 1

Cravens 105 units were our bread & butter at Cambridge. I absolutely love them, unlike most others on here. Around about 1964-65 ish we had a bit of a dmu re-shuffle, gaining some other 105s, which really were worse than ours. Also 101 and 104 on the Birmingham trains - now they were really bad, even I avoided power cars on them, for a short trip to Ely. Our standard fare until then was early Met-Cam (pre-101) which I did not like (seemed gloomy inside to me), Derby LtWt, Wickham (a classy 101 in my opinion, would love a model), and 105 (everywhere!). My theory is, that up till this time at least, we had had them all from new, and they had been looked after. Beyond then, the cast-offs came to us rough, and of course the general run-down of BR during the blue period started, the dmu's of course becoming older all the time. 

Stewart

A ride from Cambridge to Doncaster via the Joint line used to cure most of any desire to ride a 105. Heating on or off and windows that rattled so much you thought they were going to fall out. I'd pay a handsome penny to do it again. I seem to recall miles of 'roaring rails' too.

• RMweb Gold

Thinking of the Cravens 105s I remember riding on them from Manchester to Derby on the Hope Valley route from time to time in  the late 60s/early 70s.  One day we ended up with all the luggage falling off the overhead racks onto the floor (and the pasengers' heads).  

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Thanks for this evenings photo's of the Highland line. A great selection.

Now, I must comment on those Cravens DMU's. Firstly, the units that were gained in the Ipswich area, were the ones that were sent through from Hull in the mid-sixties(after various line closures rendered a number redundant). Yes, they rattled and vibrated like nothing else encountered on rails! Here is an audio recording of five minutes on board a Cravens DMBS from September, 1982.http://www.mediafire.com/listen/k99z6y5gjz2od38/Nafferton_to_Driffield_-_10.9.1982,_class_105_DMU..mp3 I hope that you will find it of interest!

All the best,

Market65.

Edited by Market65
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Whilst we're on the subject of Cravens - I never called them 105's in my spotting days - do you have any photos of the Newton Heath Power twins? Formed for climbing up and down the northern reaches.

I rode many of them from Blackburn, but am sorry to say, photographed very little, if any, of them, as they were the mundane workhorse of the area.

At least you've gone out and captured the then mundane stuff, which is now interesting from a historical perspective.

Cheers,

Mick

The Highland north of Inverness this evening.

A mix of trains, infrastructure and a bit of landscape.

attachicon.gifbb Beauly Class 26 down pass to Wick and Thurso Aug 74 J3903.jpg

Beauly Class 26 down pass to Wick and Thurso Aug 74 J3903

attachicon.gifh Invergordon harbour branch Aug 74 J3894.jpg

Invergordon harbour branch Aug 74 J3894

attachicon.gifl Near Ardgay Class 26 up goods Aug 73 J3285.jpg

Near Ardgay Class 26 up goods Aug 73 J3285

Taken looking down to Dornoch Firth from the B9176

attachicon.gifm Culrain Class 26 5333 Inverness to Wick and Thurso Aug 73 J3305.jpg

Culrain Class 26 5333 Inverness to Wick and Thurso Aug 73 J3305

attachicon.gifo Lairg Goods shed Aug 73 C1333.jpg

Lairg Goods shed Aug 73 C1333

attachicon.gifo Lairg view north Aug 73 C1332.jpg

Lairg view north Aug 73 C1332

David

Fascinating to see that even as small a Goods Yard Depot as Lairg is part of the National Carriers Ltd system.

• RMweb Premium

When I lived in Cambridge and worked late in London the train home was usually a 105. All rattles and dust. Not good news all stations Potters Bar to Cambridge.

I am glad that I was not the only one to notice the sign on Lairg goods shed. I am surprised NC wanted their name associated with it. Not exactly the latest style of things!

• RMweb Gold

Whilst we're on the subject of Cravens - I never called them 105's in my spotting days - do you have any photos of the Newton Heath Power twins? Formed for climbing up and down the northern reaches.

I rode many of them from Blackburn, but am sorry to say, photographed very little, if any, of them, as they were the mundane workhorse of the area.

At least you've gone out and captured the then mundane stuff, which is now interesting from a historical perspective.

Cheers,

Mick

I don't have all that many photos in the north west but I will keep my eyes open for the power twins as I work through all my images - but you may have to wait for quite some time.

David 

Edited by DaveF

• RMweb Gold

We cant have being to far apart Dave,

i was their in June 75.

You should have a pic of the 05 at Sandown somewhere  ?

I think I missed that, but I'll check when I get chance to.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like this evenings photo's of the Isle Of Wight. Always  been interested in the Islands railways, and your photo's show some great views of the Islands railways. The first photo' shows a good view of a O2 on a train of non-corridor carriages, one of which is still in carmine finish. There is quite a contrast with the former London Underground units in the following photo's. Please keep the photo's coming.

All the best,

Market65.

Thanks for the IOW pics always enjoy any pics of this area,incidentely the 4vec units when owned by LT were the first train I rode on in 1948 from Newbury Park to Stratford very comfortable but dark inside .The steam service was amazing and shifted thousands of passengers shame they cut the island network it is needed now as the cars are overrunning the place.

That photo c7706 of 08844 shows something you don't see modelled very often. Of you look at the front you can see the 08 has had a 3 link hung off the draw hook for use when shunting. I know the rules stated that when you attach a loco to the train, you use the coupling of the loco to the wagon draw hook, IIRC because the loco hook was usually stronger, but the use of the 3 link for shunting must have speeded things up.

You make a good point and to carry on: a few years ago a colleague and I were discussing the Co-Bos, generally derided but evidently the Barrow in Furness crews got on with them reasonably, his theory on the matter being that comparing with what went before could well give a clue as to satisfaction levels. So it all seems very much a case of whether delivered from new or replacing something worse and so on. Up here the standard fare was 114s and although the odd ones of them did tend to hunt at speed on straight sections of welded rail they were a hard act to follow.

On overall condition there did appear to be wide variations between regions and even depots; I recall the endless scorn heaped upon "Midland cars" at Lincoln ie. the Derby allocated sets which worked into St. Marks and sometimes onwards towards Cleethorpes

I remember boarding a recently transferred in 120 from the western region at Nottingham. It ran like a well oiled sowing machine. After 6 months or so of Etches Park 'maintenance' they rattled and shook just the same as the 104s and others that they'd replaced.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

A journey starting at Nottingham and traveling along the Midland line in the direction of Newark this evening - it will be continued at a future date.

post-5613-0-69915800-1410975453_thumb.jpg

Nottingham 150112 ecs 10th June 89 C12015

post-5613-0-19209700-1410975458_thumb.jpg

Lowdham Class 31 x2 down oil 10th April 90 C14281

post-5613-0-22767600-1410975462_thumb.jpg

Gonalston Crossing Class 47 up freight Oct 75 C2516

post-5613-0-92909100-1410975465_thumb.jpg

Gonalston Crossing Class 104 Lincoln to Crewe Feb 76 C2630

post-5613-0-82357600-1410975469_thumb.jpg

Fiskerton Class 120 Nottingham to Lincoln St Marks Aug 69 J1824

David

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Great selection of photo's of the line to Nottingham this evening. I also like the photo' of the class 104 at Gonalston Crossing on a Lincoln to Crewe service - a good 'classic' shot of a train in the countryside. Please keep the photo's coming.

All the best,

Market65.

Like the Fiskerton shots the class 104,s might have been a bag nails but I like the cab for the some reason.

:offtopic: They were a bit rough but they had the best seats (high backs and deep boingy cushions!) and the finest exhaust rasp this side of a well tuned Leyland PD3!

JF

• Like 1

Hello.

Intrigued by picture C12015 of the Sprinter (150 112) and HST.

Perhaps it is the perspective, but they look very close to each other possibly even touching. AFAIK they can't couple up. Wonder if there is a story behind that picture?

Excellent thread, BTW. One of those that I look for updates to each evening :-) Well worth the effort you are making to scan and upload the images.

Thank you.