Short HYA, by Accurascale

Apologies if this is higher in the thread but can somebody please confirm how many batteries are required for these? Picture shows 2, description is in the singular. I can get one in which is extremely loose so I'm guessing I can answer my own question but it will be a struggle to fit a 2nd battery given the angle at which the holder is positioned.

15 minutes ago, Graham108 said:

Apologies if this is higher in the thread but can somebody please confirm how many batteries are required for these? Picture shows 2, description is in the singular. I can get one in which is extremely loose so I'm guessing I can answer my own question but it will be a struggle to fit a 2nd battery given the angle at which the holder is positioned.

This YouTube video shows two being fitted on the cut down HYA, around the 2 minute mark:

Video showing battery fitting near start...

HTH,

Ixion.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Interestingly the video conveniently skips over the insertion of the 2nd battery. But after persevering for several attempts I've finally managed to get both batteries in and the wand works very nicely. My problem was caused by the battery holder being slightly turned anti-clockwise to that on the video (so the upright part was more to the right) - which gave me less room to play with. Only another 3 wagons to do now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Away from the d*lt*c froth.

A first go at recreating the torn vinyls that are very apparent on the GBRf/Tarmac branded fleet.

The process still needs a bit of tweaking and they also need weathering and in many cases, graffiti, but I'm sufficiently happy with the results to move onto the rake.

(The colours are different on the models as two of them were taken in bright evening sunlight)

I'll detail the process on my workbench once I've done a few more.

I've included a prototype pic showing the effect I'm after.

371049a.thumb.jpg.56065a730703405f814f74ea6b5204b3.jpg

20220620_210953.thumb.jpg.8edfbf7258032d455f5c039dbee4f25b.jpg

20220620_211003.thumb.jpg.d29d904d3d3d1a3e2184e5b5dce30732.jpg

20220620_184304.thumb.jpg.6dd6c42ae3068d294c8be5956c47f8d5.jpg

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, newbryford said:

Away from the d*lt*c froth.

A first go at recreating the torn vinyls that are very apparent on the GBRf/Tarmac branded fleet.

The process still needs a bit of tweaking and they also need weathering and in many cases, graffiti, but I'm sufficiently happy with the results to move onto the rake.

(The colours are different on the models as two of them were taken in bright evening sunlight)

I'll detail the process on my workbench once I've done a few more.

I've included a prototype pic showing the effect I'm after.

371049a.thumb.jpg.56065a730703405f814f74ea6b5204b3.jpg

20220620_210953.thumb.jpg.8edfbf7258032d455f5c039dbee4f25b.jpg

20220620_211003.thumb.jpg.d29d904d3d3d1a3e2184e5b5dce30732.jpg

20220620_184304.thumb.jpg.6dd6c42ae3068d294c8be5956c47f8d5.jpg

Cracking work Mick - in fact, looking through the images the real one looks the most unrealistic of the lot, almost as it the patches have just been painted on top!

As said above, looking forward to seeing them run as a rake.

Roy

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Has anyone put a load into these wagons. I tend to make a shallow tray that I drop in with what looks like a full load. I would be interested to see if others have tried different methods.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Anyone else noticed that the blue circle branding is slightly out of position with the model?

HYAlogo.jpg.8550525df9dcb678674a5a5a2e28c277.jpg

I haven't got a pristine model photo to hand.

hyalogom.jpg.01c08817e7da4849af83c33d16617401.jpg

The circle and Tarmac branding is slightly to right of where it should be.

Look at the "A" of "A CRH Company".

It's central above the door operating label on the prototype and slightly to the right of centre on the model. I have checked on quite a few prototype pics as well.

Another variant for a future run (apart from the Touax blue and patch painted VTG ones)

371052/054/056/064 (so far) have white backgrounds to the GB Railfreight and Tarmac/circle.

logos. It does appear to be a random few as  371051/053/059/060 haven't..... (I haven't looked at others in the same number range yet)

371052w.jpg.a99abf48664c27d8e502980bf2fc2922.jpg

371064w.jpg.c7dad801951f14afee7496d15c1b6eee.jpg

2 minutes ago, newbryford said:

The circle and Tarmac branding is slightly to right of where it should be.

Look at the "A" of "A CRH Company".

It's central above the door operating label on the prototype and slightly to the right of centre on the model. I have checked on quite a few prototype pics as well.

Also the GBRF logo looks too far to the left IMO.

Good observation, it doesn't really bother me that much about these wagons though in reality.

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Also the GBRF logo looks too far to the left IMO.

Good observation, it doesn't really bother me that much about these wagons though in reality.

I only noticed it when it threw out the position of some graffiti I'm representing.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

20220808_193502.jpg.8bdaaeac415f00df55c02dbaa5bd49be.jpg

Behold! An unsoiled model!

Here's a soiled prototype.

The branding position is still off on that side as well by about the same amount. 

(The davis logo is white on this one - but - IMO, this is fading of the original blue as I've compared some newly outshopped wagon pics with recent pics of the same wagons taken 5 years apart)

hyalogoside.jpg.bed0f898f1c9e7fbe7c368edfb16ee62.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I would have said the "sustainable future" lettering is a tiny bit wide on the model - it looks like the RH end of label on the discharge chute bisects the U on the real thing, but is definitely left of that on the model, that in turn means it finishes too far to the right, and by the time you've left a (possibly overwide) gap to the blue circle logo the whole thing is offset too far.

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, njee20 said:

I would have said the "sustainable future" lettering is a tiny bit wide on the model - it looks like the RH end of label on the discharge chute bisects the U on the real thing, but is definitely left of that on the model, that in turn means it finishes too far to the right, and by the time you've left a (possibly overwide) gap to the blue circle logo the whole thing is offset too far.

It's not much and not noticeable until you want to start "soiling" them...................

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
On 08/08/2022 at 21:04, newbryford said:

It's not much and not noticeable until you want to start "soiling" them...................

Could be worse, been testing the Cemex artwork on my printed ones, and EVERYTHING is in the wrong place! 🤣

E9A15758-9D24-48B1-9F64-CF825BD1FF01.jpeg.1c06a23c955553c6db52965ce28f9a4f.jpeg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Does anyone where would be the best place to get some replacement wheelsets for these that have a flat rear face so it is easier to add resistors for block detection?

I’ve tried adding them to the factory wheelsets, but they haven’t worked as well!

Simon

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, St. Simon said:

Hi,

Does anyone where would be the best place to get some replacement wheelsets for these that have a flat rear face so it is easier to add resistors for block detection?

I’ve tried adding them to the factory wheelsets, but they haven’t worked as well!

Simon

we’d be happy to send you a few spare sets tho they will be the same as what’s on them if it helps…

• Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, McC said:

we’d be happy to send you a few spare sets tho they will be the same as what’s on them if it helps…

Hi,

Thank you for the offer, but it’s the shaped rear face of the wheels that seem to mean that the legs of the resister can’t have a lot of metal to connect to, so I really need plain backed wheel sets.

If you could confirm the wheel size I need, (my rubbish cheap callipers say 10.5mm ish, but could be wrong!), then I can probably find something.

Simon

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I have posted this elsewhere.

They should be making their public debut at the NEC on Deadmans Lane.

And the other side.

There is a "special" one in there for Fran and the A/S team.

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4