The Chaldrons, By Accurascale

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Have you tested how your magnetic couplings behave when moving over kadee uncoupling magnets?

Thanks,

Roy

Yes, they are pretty much not effected. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Old tension locks are large and ugly but they work, by and large. By starting to reduce them in size, manufacturers opened a can of worms. The new versions are much more discrete but fail to couple on tighter curves. In order to cope with being hauled on tight curves, long vehicles are usually fitted with complicated (and therefore expensive) methods which allow the coupling pocket to deflect. This in turn makes propelling vehicles accident prone. Matters are made worse by some manufacturers providing NEM pockets which droop, are incorrectly positioned or fit fishtails sloppily.

Where possible, I fit Bachmann short straight couplings, which are less ugly than Hornby ones, to the latter’s models and check whether other manufacturers’ offerings seem to need replacement. For fixed rakes, I use Kadees. Their great virtue is that the fishtail ones are available in four lengths, so that I can couple vehicles as closely as will work.

My Hand of God lacks the omnipotence of the prototype and cannot extend to all parts of my layout from where I sit. Fortunately, there is no-one but myself to get upset by my tension locks. It is amazing what one can become accustomed to. Not everyone fits drivers or covers plastic coal with real coal. Not everyone fills coaches with people and some people fit loads to all open wagons. What is the worst compromise? Not in my view the track but model people.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Bishdurham said:

Nice to see the post on FB showing the chaldrons in production.  Do you plan to have coal loads for them?

Hi @Bishdurham,

We do indeed. We have a sample in hand which we will have at our stand at Glasgow next weekend. It’s packed up with the stand so will try to get photos of it next weekend.

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi @Bishdurham,

We do indeed. We have a sample in hand which we will have at our stand at Glasgow next weekend. It’s packed up with the stand so will try to get photos of it next weekend.

Cheers!

Fran

Thanks Fran! Will look forward to seeing them.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 27/10/2021 at 19:10, Roy Langridge said:

But there was nothing to stop the chains being used to keep the brakes off on x of the wagons whilst men sat on y wagons applying the brakes. Just because they all had brakes, doesn't mean they all had to be manually operated on a train.

Roy

For downhill braking, the video in an earlier post is excellent, at 9.38

(1) Seaham Harbour Coal derails, runaways, gravity & steam shunts 1963 - YouTube

• 4 weeks later...

These must be due now?

On 18/02/2022 at 22:46, Bishdurham said:

Nice to see the post on FB showing the chaldrons in production.  Do you plan to have coal loads for them?

I never understand people wanting plastic pretend coal loads when they can easily make loads themselves and use the real thing. But I forget that not everyone can still just pick the stuff up anywhere. You can walk your dog just about anywhere round here, on old pit sites and colliery railway lines, and find enough coal lying around to make wagon loads. Not that I need to because I've got an ice cream tub full of Beeston seam coal, from the last deep mine in Yorkshire.

I am thinking that my new micro layout will use my order of chaldrons but for fireclay and not coal.

The Leeds Fireclay Co, in the 1950s, with wagons that look like they could be from the 1850s.

image.png.c8fe06063675009a5cb669214a9438a1.png

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Ruston said:

These must be due now?

I never understand people wanting plastic pretend coal loads when they can easily make loads themselves and use the real thing. But I forget that not everyone can still just pick the stuff up anywhere. You can walk your dog just about anywhere round here, on old pit sites and colliery railway lines, and find enough coal lying around to make wagon loads. Not that I need to because I've got an ice cream tub full of Beeston seam coal, from the last deep mine in Yorkshire.

I am thinking that my new micro layout will use my order of chaldrons but for fireclay and not coal.

The Leeds Fireclay Co, in the 1950s, with wagons that look like they could be from the 1850s.

were the twin height buffers a common Mod? the RH buffers appears to be a different shape to the others.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ian_B said:

were the twin height buffers a common Mod? the RH buffers appears to be a different shape to the others.

Pretty sure some of the locos at the various London Docks had two sets.

3 hours ago, Ruston said:

These must be due now?

You have probably never seen an Accurscale coal load.  I don't think my skills are good enough to get close and for the price I think they are hard to beat.

As in the UK, Nova Scotia has coal deposits that our governments refuse to use so that their populations can pay higher fuel bills.  Unfortunately my local line was used for gypsum, so if you require any gypsum let me know and I will do a trade for coal!

1 hour ago, Ian_B said:

Most of the industrial engines in the North East had blocks of wood that extended down from the buffer beams. The Kitson long-boiler engines were an exception and had an extra set of 'normal' buffers but what the arrangements were for the North Eastern Railway engines I couldn't say. I'm sure someone on here will know - @Worsdell forever?

An extra set of normal buffers seems to have been used in various iron and steel works, but presumably for wagons other than chaldrons. Many industrial engines had large dumb buffers that could cope with tight curves and a variety of buffing heights and spacing.

3 hours ago, Bishdurham said:

You have probably never seen an Accurscale coal load.  I don't think my skills are good enough to get close and for the price I think they are hard to beat.

I must admit that I haven't but then nothing looks more like coal than coal. Cut a rectangle of card, pour on some coal and drip PVA on. Leave to set. Glue some small rectangles to the underside to bring the coal up to the correct level in the wagon and that's all there is to it. It doesn't take a great deal of skill to do and all for the best Yorkshire price of nowt.

CVMRlast-001.jpg.da8fe5fef5ce55734537f7dbb3ca6053.jpg

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Ruston said:

I must admit that I haven't but then nothing looks more like coal than coal.

we agree. It’s why all

of our loads are made using real coal, aggregates, etc and are hand finished. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

Production is almost complete on these and they are due to leave China within the next couple of weeks. We'll update you on here when they depart for a more firm arrival time, but looking late July ATM.

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...