W&U Tramcar

rapidoandy

2 hours ago, rapidoandy said:

Some of you may have seen todays Facebook post of the 3D printed sample of the W&U / Titfield tramcar. For those that haven't here are a few pictures of the printed and hand assembled sample which allows us to check various bits and pieces out:

686547858_WU-1.jpg.362ea69f4f384eb6e766aeb5c275f984.jpg

1250038728_WU-5.jpg.ff8ddc036ebec1f596c0705aa60bd2ca.jpg

247523379_WU-3.jpg.3ae8c1efc2bffd334291dc83b1f6b3a8.jpg

795132895_WU-2.jpg.81440667183bb4733294df03bdd3af5f.jpg

1499848291_WU-4.jpg.7fe4685e606f4a92de4ecdd48e860fd5.jpg

1880358279_WU-9.jpg.92b6f4785b6ace7cd042fe526607fd58.jpg

Happy modelling!

I believe that there were two of these W & U coaches, but they were not identical. Are Rapido planning to do both coaches. I think that there was also one or two six wheeled coaches and a four wheeled guards/luggage break that ran with them.

Ray

• Like 1

There were indeed two W&U bogie carriages, no. 7 (a composite, later downgraded to all-third) and no. 8 (all-third). We're modelling both, with appropriate variations between vehicles.

The bogies are designed around standard 2mm diameter, 26mm long axles, so you shouldn't have too much trouble there. You may need to shave a bit off the brake blocks, though. As for compensation, with the short wheelbase of the bogies, I don't foresee any problems there, although you'll want 2'9" disc wheels (with 6 segments on the rear, if you want to be really picky!). 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

16 hours ago, Skinnylinny said:

There were indeed two W&U bogie carriages, no. 7 (a composite, later downgraded to all-third) and no. 8 (all-third). We're modelling both, with appropriate variations between vehicles.

The bogies are designed around standard 2mm diameter, 26mm long axles, so you shouldn't have too much trouble there. You may need to shave a bit off the brake blocks, though. As for compensation, with the short wheelbase of the bogies, I don't foresee any problems there, although you'll want 2'9" disc wheels (with 6 segments on the rear, if you want to be really picky!). 

Excellent.

Ray

These look really good, and totally different to other LNER carriage stock. Whilst I know it didn't happen, I hope you can include BR (E) number decals for each coach! They will complement the J70 perfectly.

Are these available for pre-order yet?

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

Edited by 45568
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, 45568 said:

These look really good, and totally different to other LNER carriage stock. Whilst I know it didn't happen, I hope you can include BR (E) number decals for each coach! They will complement the J70 perfectly.

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

I seem to recall that they did (or one of them did) carry BR numbers, but by then they were were working on the Tollesbury branch, not with J70s. (CJL)

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 04/03/2022 at 10:13, 45568 said:

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

On 04/03/2022 at 16:00, dibber25 said:

I seem to recall that they did (or one of them did) carry BR numbers, but by then they were were working on the Tollesbury branch, not with J70s. (CJL)

The ones on the Tollesbury branch retained their LNER livery with the letters LNER removed and an E in front of the number. The E used was from the LNER transfers, they must have found some in a drawer somewhere. The original numbers had faded somewhat and the 'new' E prefix stood out although it was the same style and size.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
On 04/03/2022 at 16:00, dibber25 said:

I have just received one of the Hornby generic 6 wheel coaches. It looks similar to the modified* ex GER six wheelers that ran with the ex W&U on the branch. The usual locomotive hauling them was a J15 so a Tollesbury train could be assembled. *Smaller wheels and raised buffer beams and central door for the conductor/guard to access the train. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I hope the photos return to this thread soon, as having seen the EP at the Rails event on Good Friday I can testify to this being a little beauty! Hats off to the designer* (who was there) as the detail is amazing, even down to the bar (as per the Titfield Thunderbolt film).

I think I shall be ordering one (perhaps two) of the ‘standard’ (ie non-TT) carriages for a future (freelance) micro layout, as these will instantly scream ‘light railway’ (with suitably small motive power!)

Steve S

PS

I also had a very good look at their SECR wagons - and am starting to justify to myself the £30 price tag for a four wheel wagon after some very persuasive discussion with the lovely Rapido representatives!! 😁

Edited by SteveyDee68
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

I hope the photos return to this thread soon, as having seen the EP at the Rails event on Good Friday I can testify to this being a little beauty! Hats off to the designer (who was there) as the detail is amazing, even down to the bar (as per the Titfield Thunderbolt film).

I think I shall be ordering one (perhaps two) of the ‘standard’ (ie non-TT) carriages for a future (freelance) micro layout, as these will instantly scream ‘light railway’ (with suitably small motive power!)

Steve S

PS

I also had a very good look at their SECR wagons - and am starting to justify to myself the £30 price tag for a four wheel wagon after some very persuasive discussion with the lovely Rapido representatives!! 😁

See my post above re. the Hornby six wheelers. Regrettably £30+ seems to be the norm now for even four wheel wagons, just look at Bachmann and Hornby RRP's.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

I hope the photos return to this thread soon, as having seen the EP at the Rails event on Good Friday I can testify to this being a little beauty!

I'm guessing what you saw was the 3D print they had done (featured in their March 25th newsletter) as the project is still listed as being in design so it hasn't been tooled yet.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mdvle said:

I'm guessing what you saw was the 3D print they had done (featured in their March 25th newsletter) as the project is still listed as being in design so it hasn't been tooled yet.

I think you are right - it was mentioned about sending it off to the factory to find out how much it would cost to produce and then adjusting levels of detail to get an acceptable final price!

UPDATE

I just went back to the beginning of the thread and there it is in black and white from @rapidoandy - “3D printed sample” … colour me dopey! 

Edited by SteveyDee68
Admittance to not retaining information previously read
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

See my post above re. the Hornby six wheelers. Regrettably £30+ seems to be the norm now for even four wheel wagons, just look at Bachmann and Hornby RRP's.

Looking at the detail - and feeling the weight - of the wagons, I can see how £30 can be justified.

The most persuasive argument was that if you have a micro layout with just a few wagons, surely then the cost isn’t unjustifiable to have the wagons to the same high standard as the locos on said layouts?

I’m not sure, however, that I’d be happy spending £30 on some of the wagons produced by that Margate company!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

I do indeed have a micro layout. I am building up a batch of wagons to use on it, mostly Bachmann but a few other makes. My one criteria, other than era and size is how easy to fit my chosen magnetic couplings.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

In lieu of anyone else plonking a photo hereon, here's a repeat of the 3D print of what's to come.

WU-Coach-Render-1024x576.png.e562cd0ccbb420e19828edc99f0ddb83.png

Rob. 

• Like 5

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Any news on how close these are to delivery? Specifically, the Titfield variant? Now that the train pack itself is sitting in my Hattons trunk I was planning on emptying it this week, but given that the delivery date for the coaches is showing as between October and December - and we're now approaching the end of October - I did wonder if it might make sense to hold off a week or two to give the coach a chance to be in the same box when it arrives on my doorstep.

• Like 1

Rapido Newsletter 36 just received explains:

Last month we showed off some final production samples of probably the most colourful products we’ve ever added to our range, the Not-Quite-Minks, Wisbech and Upwell Train Packs, and Bogie Tram Cars. We are pleased to say that the Not-Quite-Minks and Tram cars are now in a container on their way to the UK, and once they have passed our QC process, we are hoping to have them out to you at some point in the next month or so. Which makes them a rather nice gift as we head into the festive period. So not only will pre-grouping and W & U fans be happy, but Mr. Valentine will be able to enjoy a festive tipple from the comfort of the brand-new Titfield Thunderbolt Buffet car.

The remaining W & U Train Packs will also be shipped in due course, but as they aren’t loaded and ready to go at the point this newsletter hits your inbox we can’t make promises on delivery timeframes we may not be able to keep. Keep an eye on our social channels for further news on this one.

Calm seas and fair winds - or the usual autumnal weather prevailing?

• Like 2