British outline 1:120 TT from Heljan

Tartaruga

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Always found Heljan mechanisms to be bullet proof and silky smooth - least thats my experience of classes 28, 35, 47 and 52 in OO.

Similar experience . My 86 is silky smooth and I'd say amongst the best .  The exception was the Class 17 Clayton , and even though I waited a year for replacement motor/ chassis  it has never been particularly smooth . Don't really have confidence in it . 

This new development is interesting . Keeping an eye on it . 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

An interesting development indeed — but it doesn't really fit with the Peco GWR focus. And by the time these made it across to the west, the 7-plank wagons would be gone… That said, Heljan wouldn’t have to do the research for this one, as it's in their range in O.

Stirs thoughts of an ex-GE branch. There are some obvious stock needs for wagons which will surely be filled/fillable. Heljan have the W&M railbus in their range in other scales… do they do a class 101 in O?

Note these are all also going to be available DCC sound fitted. I think making this available is a sensible move in this day and age, and it should work better in TT than it sometimes does in N.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

As I said on the other (Peco) thread, I don’t really care what it is as long as it’s British outline and to the correct scale/gauge combination - I’m in!

I actually like the class 31 so it’s good for me anyway, whatever else Heljan may do in the future (Hymek, Western, Teddy bear?) please do correct any issues as with the Western? Please, pretty please!

Thank you, Heljan.

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Curious if we'll get the class B tank from Heljan, as in O and OO.

The Heljan Cargowaggon van and flat might have a bigger market with European 1:120, as they ran to mainland Europe over a long time span, and they just about fit an unrefurbed blue 31.

But the class B tank spans the green 31 as well as the blue one.

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, bradfordbuffer said:

Hold the horse tonto!....not tt ie 3mm scale but TT120 SCALE...euro tt ! =2.54mm to foot..

Isn't that a bit close to N scale to tempt people?  And models won't be of use to existing serious 3mm scale modelers 

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, russ p said:

Isn't that a bit close to N scale to tempt people?  And models won't be of use to existing serious 3mm scale modelers 

Take yourself over to the Peco thread, you're coming in late for your cue 😀

29 pages of people popping up to say "this is pointless" to indulge in 😉 

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/topic/172327-peco-announces-its-entry-into-the-tt-gauge-market/

Meanwhile some of us watch with interest.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, andythenorth said:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/topic/172327-peco-announces-its-entry-into-the-tt-gauge-market/

Sorry Andy I haven't read that , I can certainly understand why people think it's pointless.  Maybe if a new scale is coming to the fore S scale would be better 

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, andythenorth said:

Not forgetting 29 pages of people saying no one will produce any RTR locomotives for this new (to Britain) scale.

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

And some 16T mineral wagons, and MK1s perhaps?

A basic range ought to include these. Peco have started with the 7-plank wooden wagon. A few vans as well.  Heljan could shrink their B tank too.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

I’m curious, what couplings does TT use? Is it a tension lock type?

The rolling stock announced so far (Peco's wagon and Heljan's 31) both come with NEM pockets, to allow different couplings to be used, but also with the standard coupling type used on continental TT. 

I suppose theres nothing stopping someone using a NEM tension lock in them, but a Kadee type maybe suitable?

• RMweb Premium
Just now, JohnR said:

The rolling stock announced so far (Peco's wagon and Heljan's 31) both come with NEM pockets, to allow different couplings to be used, but also with the standard coupling type used on continental TT. 

Now awaiting a Hunt couplings announcement for TT 😜

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I wonder if Dapol could be tempted to have a crack at a couple of mk1's? No point in using the research in 00 or N as that market is sewn up. One mk1 released and etched overlays won't be far behind. Or perhaps someone else would like a go at a mk1 suburban??? 

Put me down for a 31 and an 08 all day long. 

24 minutes ago, Mr chapman said:

I wonder if Dapol could be tempted to have a crack at a couple of mk1's? No point in using the research in 00 or N as that market is sewn up. One mk1 released and etched overlays won't be far behind. Or perhaps someone else would like a go at a mk1 suburban??? 

Put me down for a 31 and an 08 all day long. 

I think that might be Rapido territory. BCK and SK/TSO  (which are the same bodyshell with a different interior.)

Together that is a credible portion off a mainline service to serve a holiday branch (the Atlantic Coast Express from Waterloo was an agglomeration of such portions). They would go well enough with Heljan's 31

3mm etched overlays exist from Worsley Works  3mm Mk1 overlays . It wouldn't take a huge amount of effort to reduce them from 3mm/ft to 1:120

They also do a little 1:120 already   WorsleyWorks TT-120

• Like 2

I thought it might be useful to see which area’s the announced models worked in the specified liveries.

The information is taken for the incredible BR Database (https://www.brdatabase.info/index.php)

Hope it is of interest!

Luke

++++

D5637: delivered to Stratford in ’60, then in ’61 to Sheffield and quickly back to Stratford and then on to March in ‘62

D5847: delivered to Sheffield in ’62, on to Tinsley in ’64 and then Norwich in ‘66

5820: delivered to Sheffield in ’61, then Wath in ‘63

31136, allocated to Old Oak in ‘72, renumbered to 31136 in ’73 and allocated to Bristol, then back to Old Oak in ’75, back to Bristol in ’76, withdrawn in ‘80

31198: allocated to Finsbury Park in ’70, renumbered to 31198 in ’73, condemned in ‘90

31970, reinstated to Toton in ’82, renumbered to 31970/97204 in ’87, withdrawn in ‘91

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

8 hours ago, bradfordbuffer said:

Hold the horse tonto!....not tt ie 3mm scale but TT120 SCALE...euro tt ! =2.54mm to foot..

3mm scale was TT3 i.e. 3mm scale running on TT gauge track giving a scale 4' gauge! True TT was always 1:120.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, HSB said:

3mm scale was TT3 i.e. 3mm scale running on TT gauge track giving a scale 4' gauge! True TT was always 1:120.

Quite....but if you done a straw poll at a biggish model show and asked what TT was /is answer would in excess of 70% be.... tt oh triang can't get it any more! Nice scale! Or 3mm society! 

Room for all scales...I'm sure some lovely minimum space urban stations going to appear with new Heljan 31 and what ever other surprises to pop up in coming weeks...

If not a state secret what is production run in numbers of 31?