Judith Edge kits

Michael Edge

This how to report to ebay re stolen property.

Go to item at bottom of first page

Report Category

Prohibited and restricted items

Reason for Report

Illegal Items

Detail reason

Stolen Property

What ebay will do ?? at a guess, they will remove the listing and no more .

Anyone who buys and sells any stolen item technically Handles Stolen Goods and the money paid involved also becomes stolen as part of the original Theft .

As already said the Police will not take it further due to the original theft never being reported at the time .

The value is irrelevant Theft is Theft .

• Informative/Useful 1

Time is running out. Have you contacted the police for advice yet? Nothing to loose by doing so.

Also you could Google "report stolen goods on eBay" if you haven't already done so.

It comes back with some useful links including eBay itself.

Edited by Keith Turbutt
Added further thoughts

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

We've got his address, can somebody nip round and check his claims, perhaps with assistance?

image.png.e6ed9bf6f313b389234b5f609ff39183.png

Mike.

Sorted. By order of "The Management"

1 hour ago, Erichill16 said:

Is that @Barry O (Baz)  front left?

Looks more like Gareth Hale to me.

Sorry to "let the cat out of the bag" - but no microwaves were harmed during the making of this thread.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Michael Edge said:

He's now pleading that he's only a pensioner running a small business....

and complaining about you all attacking him, thanks for all your efforts on our behalf.

Perhaps he's realised that all this adverse attention just isn't worth the risk of damaging his business reputation and will do the right thing

• Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I have had two occasions with eBay in which stolen goods were involved.  First was an american seller from whom I purchased several LGB locomotives of considerable value.  As the locomotives were quite heavy I requested the seller (a New Jersey eBay power seller with a physical brick and mortat store) to ship the items via USPS economy mail (no longer available).  At the time the shipping period exceeded the timeframe in which a buyer could post feedback.  As that periodn was getting close I messaged the seller who in hindsight was passing me off as he stated that he would send me the shipping details, which like the goods in question never arrived.  EBay refused my messaging as they said the period to post feedback had passed and all details of the transactions had timed out.  Months later the seller relisted my items as individual listings.  I contacted eBay on three occasions reporting the listings as stolen items but eBay's response was that as the seller was a trusted power seller,  the seller would not engage in dealing with stolen items.  I even reported the seller for fraud as he took postage money from me but never sent the goods.  Alas, USPS also was not interested in investigating the transactions.  I even contacted each of the bidders who had bid on my items and advised them that the items were subject to an eBay claim as stolen items,  but was ignored by each of the bidders and eBay.  As usual,  eBay had no interest at all in pursuing any action,  preferring instead on supporting their precious "power sellers" reputation status.  I was out of pocket a considerable sum of money.

Second incident I purchased secondhand items from a respected local eBay licenced secondhand dealer that turned out to be stolen.  The original owner became aware that I had the items and demanded them to be returned.  I contacted the seller who made it known that I had purchased the items "in good faith" and that as the original owner had been compensated by way of an insurance claim,  the original owner had no further claim to the goods and under law,  as he was a licenced secondhand dealer,  my rights were covered under law and that I had nothing to be concerned about.  He even advised me that should the original owner commence criminal proceedings that he,  the dealer,  would report the owner to the police for fraud as he had already been compensated for the theft by way of an insurance settlement.

I wish you good luck with the recovery of your property, but I wouldn't hold your breath for the law.

I know someone who I was working with in Africa who had a car stolen whilst he was away. The thief even stole the original paperwork and applied for a logbook before selling it on. It was eighteen months before the theft was discovered. The police weren't particularly helpful as the vehicle was stored up and uninsured and had been sold on legitimately as far as Swansea was concerned. The trail had gone cold it seemed.

Fast forward to 2022 and I spotted it for sale through a car dealer on eBay. Once again my friend contacted the police only to be told that the car had been through too many owners now for them to be able to take it back.

So if you want a car that is worth £63,000 simply steal one, apply for a logbook, which clearly states THIS DOCUMENT IS NOT PROOF OF OWNERSHIP and pass it around a few friends and then back to yourself and the police won't do a damned thing.

Over twenty years ago, I had a motorcycle stolen, a rusty wreck I was planning to restore. I knew who had stolen it and reported it to the police. They didn't make an arrest, merely asked the person who took it to come in and make a statement.

Their statement was that I had given them the bike. Case closed.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

He's now pleading that he's only a pensioner running a small business....

and complaining about you all attacking him, thanks for all your efforts on our behalf.

Don't push him too hard or he'll just chuck it in the bin.

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, cessna152towser said:

Thankfully I have only ever been victim of one theft of model trains.   Fifty years ago as a callow youth I allowed a club which I had recently joined to run some of my wagons on the layout which we were showing at an exhibition.   My wagons had a personal identifier on the underside.  When the show finished an older, respected member of the club who was a solicitor claimed the wagons and insisted he had bought them from a stall at the show, that a member of the public must have lifted them from the layout and traded them during the show.  He refused to return the wagons to me.  They were of low value, but one was a Hornby-Dublo grain wagon which my parents had given me when I was a child.  I went to the police and was then barred from the club as a troublemaker.  Many years later the same solicitor was struck off for stealing large amounts of money from his clients.   After his major crimes received media publicity I spoke to one of the people who had originally ostracised me, who was apologetic, but explained that at the time this thief was a respected member of the club who was more likely to be believed over the allegations of a young newcomer.

The least the Club should've done is replaced all your stock and given you a written apology; I do hope the scrote responsible also spent time in prison.

• Agree 7

• RMweb Premium

All gone quiet now, his last message was to say that he had taken legal advice and he had done nothing illegal. He then said why don’t I make him an offer for it. I had already (very reluctantly) offered to pay him the £25 which had been bid on it plus postage but no answer on this.

I suppose he will now try to sell it again, if anyone sees it anywhere please let me know. I have reported it as stolen to EBay. But I don’t suppose they will do anything.

Thanks for all your support and efforts in this.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium

A genuine seller would have dealt with you, i feel they are very dodgy and would happly sell stuff not belonging to them.

• Agree 9
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

All gone quiet now, his last message was to say that he had taken legal advice and he had done nothing illegal.

OK, legally he's seemingly done nothing wrong. Morally? That's another question entirely, I suggest...

Mark

• Agree 7

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

he had taken legal advice and he had done nothing illegal.

Now not wishing to confuse my Google search with anyone's Law degree here but that is utter BS, he's handling stolen goods!

I would ask him for his solicitors (or who ever provided him with said advice) details 😉

Edited by Tim Dubya
coffee
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

Issue a Small Claims Court Summons (£35 for a £300 claim) - or you could always up the claim to cover the cost of kit + wheels + professional build (which it was) and paint job; that'll be eighty quid for up to £1500.

I did see if I could block this seller on Ebay (so I never accidentally buy anything from them in the future) but it looks like I can only block them from bidding on any of my sales - which I've done.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Michael Edge said:

He only knew that when we all told him, if he gives it back now he hasn't done anything wrong.

I would try dropping your local police an email explaining what has happened. If you hear nothing, you can, quite honestly, tell the seller that you have contacted the police. 

You never know, the police may follow up anyway. 

Roy

• Like 4