Hornby announce Class 800 IEP

Andy Y

• 4 weeks later...

I like the finish on this model. I just hope that they produce a class 43 HST in this finish too as well as the gloss. Though I'm not criticising the gloss for the limited edition pack. My personal preference is this satin finish.

What a wonderful livery sample. I am very impressed and delighted it is not in gloss! The satin-esque finish just suits the model, with the GWR matt bands brought out in a darker black paint. I am very happy that I have not had to cancel my pre-order.

The service sheet was mentioned above, having a look, there is a dellner coupler to fit in into a socket. Meaning you can model them on depot, as well as run in multiple (if the pack comes supplied with a coupling bar?).

Well done Hornby! Just one minor omission on the livery sample... the water tank for the window wiper under the cab is metal on the prototype and thus should be silver on the model.

Great to see long range fuel tanks fitted! Bring on an 802 model!

post-22366-0-24662600-1505212312_thumb.png

• Like 2

Quite possibly cosmetic rather than useable

It rather depends on whether the socket is at a NEM compliant height (it's definitely got a NEM fishtail on the dummy coupling), and on having large radius curves on the layout as it is body mounted on a very long vehicle quite some distance ahead of the bogie's pivot point.

If it is, then http://extra.southernelectric.org.uk/modelling/news/2012-scharfenberg-couplers.html would be your bunnies...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It rather depends on whether the socket is at a NEM compliant height (it's definitely got a NEM fishtail on the dummy coupling), and on having large radius curves on the layout as it is body mounted on a very long vehicle quite some distance ahead of the bogie's pivot point.

If it is, then http://extra.southernelectric.org.uk/modelling/news/2012-scharfenberg-couplers.html would be your bunnies...

I don't see it working. As you say it looks to be body mounted and have no means of pivoting. Only ever going to work on straights as even the gentlest of curves will see a significant overhang.

Roy

• 1 month later...

Also sneaking into the blog is "Those of you lucky enough to have snapped up this limited edition run can expect to receive their models early next year."

Looking at the website, seems the date has slipped to February 2018 for the test livery train pack and January 2018 for the GWR train pack

Looks like the GWR pack is now coming December 2017. Which is good news for me, but not so much my girlfriend who's now not getting a Christmas present.

• RMweb Premium

Looks like the GWR pack is now coming December 2017. Which is good news for me, but not so much my girlfriend who's now not getting a Christmas present.

Haha I love that you have your priorities correct.

• Like 1

Some pictures from Gaydon 07 October 2017 of the IET;

Thank you for posting these, as blimey that does look good! Yes, for rrp £393 I would of liked to seen etched grills, working pantograph. But these photos put these minor things into pasture as it looks superb. Hopefully they shall paint the inner nose (where the dellner is showing) yellow and the first class signage off-white as per the prototype. And halloula! Hornby can do a nice shell shine finish on the paint, but also recreating the matt band. Why oh why could the HST not of been like that. They would of got another £365 of me.  

Bring on December! 

Edited by 159220
  • Like 1