New brand, new model - Rails Limited - LNER Dynamometer car

Andy Y

Model does look wonderful. As for the printing effect, certainly no worse than Hornby's finish, which all things considered was damn good!

Interesting observation there. I thought the model of 902502 was supposed to be the model as preserved. If you are referring to roof colour I cannot find any evidence that the roofs were painted off-white as in the model. In all instances the torpedo vents, if nothing else are brown or black.

I'm confused as to the roof colour. Obviously whitish roofs are difficult to keep clean, but 902502 has (aside from railfest :-o) be inside warm and dry since it was restored by BR.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/image/23693-902502-nrm-f-18-11-2010jpg/

Roof looks BR coach grey, with red or grey vents. I trust rails/rapido to have done the research based on known records of paint, so it might be that the roof was repainted prior to preservation.

In which case I'm tempted to wait for the possibility of a preserved example... for me this would really be a 'display only' coach...

Roof colour in 1938 very difficult to identify....

https://www.yorkmix.com/life/history/how-sir-nigel-gresleys-mallard-powered-her-way-to-speed-record/

Edited by G-BOAF

My uinderstanding  of roof colour for the LNER period was that they painted white lead which in the sulpurious atmosphere quickly changed to lead sulphide which is a dark grey colour.  There is no point in comparing with white roofs on preserved stock as they are painted with modern paints.  Indeed if you look at the book LNER locomotives in Colour 1936 - 1948 ( by Ron White of Colour Rail) there is only one photo of a white/light grey coach roof all the rest are dark grey/black.

Norman

In the Dynamometer Car's BR days it still carried a pseudo grained teak livery. Certain graining patterns visible in the works photograph are still present on the preserved DC.

In the latter half of 1963 work was scheduled by the Curator of Historical Relics at Clapham with York and Darlington works.

York Carriage and Wagon Works were engaged in cosmetically reinstating the DC to its 1946 LNER condition (with number 902502) and the Chief Mechanical Engineer's Department, Darlington engaged in restoring the measuring equipment and caption it for public display.

Reinstating the LNER branding would have involved removing the BR lettering and, probably, repainting the imitation teak on the waist panels. On the preserved vehicle these can be seen as being a slightly different shade. The "DYNAMOMETER CAR" lettering was hand painted (which it probably was in LNER days) however the "LNER" and "902502" are original transfers. The spacing of the lettering "Dynamometer Car" as preserved is not in the correct locations and there are some style differences.

At the time the vehicle was being prepared for presentation at Clapham by York Carriage and Wagon Works there is a note in the technical file (source unknown) that the roof should probably be grey or buff. The preserved vehicle has certainly carried red oxide at one point but that might have been used as an undercoat during repairs.

During the Locomotive Trials during 1948 the torpedo vents appear to be a darker colour than the roof which suggests to me that they were not white that has weathered.

In the Dynamometer Car's BR days it still carried a pseudo grained teak livery. Certain graining patterns visible in the works photograph are still present on the preserved DC.

In the latter half of 1963 work was scheduled by the Curator of Historical Relics at Clapham with York and Darlington works.

York Carriage and Wagon Works were engaged in cosmetically reinstating the DC to its 1946 LNER condition (with number 902502) and the Chief Mechanical Engineer's Department, Darlington engaged in restoring the measuring equipment and caption it for public display.

Reinstating the LNER branding would have involved removing the BR lettering and, probably, repainting the imitation teak on the waist panels. On the preserved vehicle these can be seen as being a slightly different shade. The "DYNAMOMETER CAR" lettering was hand painted (which it probably was in LNER days) however the "LNER" and "902502" are original transfers. The spacing of the lettering "Dynamometer Car" as preserved is not in the correct locations and there are some style differences.

At the time the vehicle was being prepared for presentation at Clapham by York Carriage and Wagon Works there is a note in the technical file (source unknown) that the roof should probably be grey or buff. The preserved vehicle has certainly carried red oxide at one point but that might have been used as an undercoat during repairs.

During the Locomotive Trials during 1948 the torpedo vents appear to be a darker colour than the roof which suggests to me that they were not white that has weathered.

Never seen a Dyno model with a White roof.

Examples I have seen are in Teak  and Red Oxide Colours. The current roof on the Dyno is a some kind of shade of brown or red oxide. The last time I saw it at York, it looked like it had a heavy coat of dust on top of a muddy colour!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Seriously...?

Just seen the promotional video from Rails by someone called Will. It’s 15 and a half minutes of rambling, before he opens the box - and over 20 minutes into the video before he finally gets the coach out of the box.

*yawn*

It does look very nice... when you eventually get to see it.

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Seriously...?

Just seen the promotional video from Rails by someone called Will. It’s 15 and a half minutes of rambling, before he opens the box - and over 20 minutes into the video before he finally gets the coach out of the box.

*yawn*

Phil

It certainly is a strange video - kept wondering why the chap was sitting on the floor of his conservatory and what possessed him to dress like that..

Darius

Seriously...?

*yawn*

Phil

Yes I got that as well. One for avoiding I think. Some might like it though and I don't want to be too critical.

However I would rather an expert did the analysis rather than somebody who plays with trains on the floor. Especially when we are talking about high end models. I doubt many people who use trainsets are going to be buying these at £125.

Jason

• RMweb Gold

It certainly is a strange video - kept wondering why the chap was sitting on the floor of his conservatory and what possessed him to dress like that..

Darius

Not just me then  :jester: looking at the comments this person seems to have been hiding for a while and 99% of the comments are about him instead of the product. Weird!

• RMweb Premium

Will, also known by his YouTube channel Name IC82, is a very well known and respected YouTube reviewer by many people in the model community. He has connections with Hornby, Bachmann, Google, YouTube, and Rails of Sheffield now. He has been producing video reviews for many years now and gets asked by the big guys to review new Models long before they get released to the public. He did have some time off due to major personal reasons but those of us who love his videos are very glad to have him back. If any of you feel you could do better, then do feel free to do so.

Edited by Hilux5972
  • Like 1