• <50
    • 51-100
    • 101-250
    • 251-500
    • 501-750
    • 751-1000
    • 1001-1500
    • >1500

I 'd say they'd have to if we are including bodies that share common chassis as an 'intent'; kits are an intent in the same way, surely.  But there are limits, and locos you intend to buy one day don't count!

Can I include scratchbuilt locos that have reached the preliminary sketch stage?;) 

For those, like me who have a fair few loco’s, here’s something to ponder..... their value.... and more importantly insurance....

I had a lucky near miss, came back from a holiday to find a burst pipe had flooded my house and caused a massive amount of damage... fortunately the insurance covered the $80k repairs, which I’m forever grateful for..... the only room not damaged was the room I have all my models stored... had they got damaged, I think that I wouldn’t have been fully covered... so now my collection is all photographed, and recorded on a spreadsheet, with a conservative valuation, and lodged as a document with my insurance company....

So should the worst happen, at least i’ll Get a decent portion of their value back....

You might surprise and shock yourselves, I found that my collection was by far and away the most expensive item in the house....

….which gives rise to the general question: what plans have all of you made for them when you die?

Will they be sold off? Given to friends / relatives / clubs / museums? Binned? Or buried with you?

Good point, Mr Horse, and has been exercising my mind of late. Have considered preparing photos and descriptions for any one of my three no railway interest "bairns" to deploy on ebay or in negotiation with appropriate traders. I would entrust the task to fellow modellers within our group but can't be sure they'll outlast me!

• RMweb Premium

….which gives rise to the general question: what plans have all of you made for them when you die?

Will they be sold off? Given to friends / relatives / clubs / museums? Binned? Or buried with you?

When I go, I want to be cremated with my models.

However - this may be an issue, as burning all that yellow paint and plastic isn't exactly environmentally friendly.

Yes, but you have to factor in inflation and cost the replacement of them as you might for insurance purposes.  But the thread's about how many you have, not how much you've spent...

Actually, I probably wouldn't replace them all if something awful happened. A fair few have been superceded by improved models. So for example I already owned five Heljan 47's when the Bachmann one came out, and I've since added three Heljan examples as I want them all to be consistent. I would however go for the Bachmann one if starting from scratch now, because of the overwidth bodies on Heljan. If the house burnt down I don't know what I'd do, but insurance would be one of the last things on my mind as many things I have are irreplaceable irrespective of cost (not just trains here). Inflation is a funny as well, because UK model railway loco inflation has greatly exceeded general price inflation (CPI or RPI) for the last 5 - 10 years.

You are right to point out that the thread is about numbers owned, not their cost, and my little piece was simply in answer to Rob D2's point that folk must surely know how many locos they had because of the expense at current prices. I'm obviously not the only one who doesn't have a precise figure!

LOL, 

John.

• RMweb Premium

I'm currently a 'collector' as I only have a small 7' end to end layout. Got married last month and sold off a few to fund that and the honeymoon. Hopefully be moving house next year and my only stipulation is that the new home must have a very large railway room :)  Thankfully the wife is in agreement, as she also wants a very big craft room of her own for her pyrography business.

I have everything itemised on a spreadsheet and the cost tab is one I won't be sharing. Having only got back into model railways 3 years ago I've been a bit OCD in my approach, buying up 1980's ScotRail stuff that I remember from when I was a young train-spotter to all the class 66's etc that I see today.

I know I have far too many and I dare say once I have my dream layout then the fleet will be rationalised, or some (e.g. the steam locos) will be destined to be permanent display case models.

Edited by Scottish-Exile
  • Like 2

Far too many, my collection goes back to around 1960, first being a Tri-ang TT gauge Jinty (which I still have and still works !!)

I've been collecting (for use on my many layouts over the years), a mix of new / secondhand, TT, OO, O (American) and a bit og Bachmann G scale for the garden loop.

They don't all work. some are occasionally robbed for parts to keep others working, some relegated to the scrapyard scene, but I don't think I've ever sold any - I've gifted one or two though over the years. I don't buy to collect, I buy to run - though some I just buy because I like them - like the wonderful Hornby P2

Brit15

• RMweb Gold

When I go, I want to be cremated with my models.

However - this may be an issue, as burning all that yellow paint and plastic isn't exactly environmentally friendly.

For French cremations, an object of which the deceased was fond may be placed in the coffin. It will be placed there under the eyes of a policeman, who will seal the coffin, ensuring that only the deceased is cremated. I bet they see some bizarre items being added!

For French cremations, an object of which the deceased was fond may be placed in the coffin. It will be placed there under the eyes of a policeman, who will seal the coffin, ensuring that only the deceased is cremated. I bet they see some bizarre items being added!

I've never quite seen the point of sealing something that's going to be burnt anyway. That sounds like fitting wheels to a tomato.

• RMweb Gold

I've never quite seen the point of sealing something that's going to be burnt anyway. That sounds like fitting wheels to a tomato.

I think the copper gets assurances that the body is the right one, and not the neighbourhood pest everyone wanted bumped off. And that there is only one body!

I think the fee for getting him to inspect and seal the coffin was €20.

Binned, put on eBay as a job lot with a 1p starting point.  I can't really see anyone wanting my locos when I'm gone.  I enjoy making them but they aren't exactly exhibition quality.  Maybe a bit of N gauge in my coffin would be fun.

• RMweb Premium

How many locos do I have?

One , two three, four, five , six, seven, eight, nine, ten.....I have run out of fingers,.......OK lots. :locomotive: :locomotive:

My mates say they will dispose (or keep) my stuff when I pop off, not letting the kids profit from my hard labours.

As for coffins, what a waste of good base board material. :nono: :nono: :nono:

• RMweb Gold

I made a promise to myself to stop when I reached 50 but I'm afraid I failed.  I mentioned this thread and some of the figures to Mrs GDB. She assured me I won't live long enough to pass 70 let alone 100! *

:butcher:  :girldevil:

* Locos that is because as I'm 69 that would be a bit worrying. :scratchhead:

Edited by grandadbob

How many locos?

More than I need

Fewer than I want.

Which is more or less a repeat of Post #4, and I suspect applies to all of us, so the Topic could be locked now. :mosking:

It could've been locked after Post 4, too, of course ;) but I suspect the Mods have better things to do - like counting how many locos they've got :sarcastichand: :jester:

• RMweb Gold

Well I had to face that last year.

My father, lifelong enthusiast and involved in the hobby, 20 years a model railway sales rep sadly passed.

As a collector myself, and his collection of 40 years I had to make hard choices.

I parted with over 1000 locos last year when I merged our two collections.

It took me nearly 5 months of traveling 250 miles north, finding the right boxes (as everything was unboxed), dusting down, testing, packing and moving it down south.. then sorting out, finally fitting any broken bits (sorting 30 odd unlabelled film canisters full of 30yrs worth of random bits that had fallen off locos, from buffers, whistles etc took a month in itself and was a bit of a guessing game at times).. then photographing, boxing and selling.

It’s a mammoth job.

I could have put it to a shop, it would be much easier, but it’s my history, hobby and his memory so it’s a job I had to do, but I’ve done it justice, got the right price, ensured nothing was unduly lost or wasted, it brought back a lot of memories and it wasn’t the worst job in the world to do.

Hopefully I’ve a good few decades to go, but my succession plan is simpler..

I have a detailed spreadsheet, which lists loco & cost, and a security feature that uniquely links the item to the asset.

Sadly there’s no one to back fill me, my little ones too young, my wife gets it, but isn’t her interest.

It has also includes 4 shop telephone numbers I know and trust and specific instructions on pricing that I know my wife would follow.

If there was any advice i’d Offer from it, if you care about the value to your family...

1. label the bits.. missing parts destroy value and are the easiest thing discarded in a clear out through lack of awareness...

2. Make a list, including at a minimum loco number, brand, catalog, loco name & it’s value, so it helps family understand its worth, can find the right box.

3. List At least 3 potential people who can take care of it, whom you know and trust.

I was lucky, I had a father who taught me this industry inside out from 4 years old, even though I never joined it like he wanted me to, but at the time it mattered, I knew what to do, many wont be as lucky. Once your gone you may not care but you probably wouldn’t want them lost to unscrupulous buyers or simply binned through ignorance.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1