Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Another go chaps. I think I might be getting the hang of this. Well, somewhat anyway.

post-98-0-77857000-1349871189_thumb.jpg

There are one or two mistakes, but I didn't notice them until it was too late. One thing is for sure, I shall be putting some detail in on the other side of the bridge, even though it was supposed to be off scene.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Here is another effort. Matt black engine against the light, so quite challenging, and probably impossible without extra lighting. Easy to add the sky though, or it should be. :no: The train is the 1345 KX- Newcastle by the way, a relief to the Northumbrian, which should be along shortly.

post-98-0-32837800-1349873794_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

I think I might be getting the hang of this.

I'm impressed with your moves forward Gilbert, I really am; I do appreciate it's very time consuming but I'd say it merits the effort on some of your best or favourite shots. I'd suggest moving the horizon of the sky layer upwards to coincide with a horizon on the model for complementary perspectives. Give H.G.Wells a call and go back 60 years to get some background shots, but there again you wouldn't need to make the model if you could. ;)

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

I'm impressed with your moves forward Gilbert, I really am; I do appreciate it's very time consuming but I'd say it merits the effort on some of your best or favourite shots. I'd suggest moving the horizon of the sky layer upwards to coincide with a horizon on the model for complementary perspectives. Give H.G.Wells a call and go back 60 years to get some background shots, but there again you wouldn't need to make the model if you could. ;)

Thanks Andy. I finally found a Paint.Net tutorial that assumed, correctly, that I knew nothing, and the whole thing just clicked into place. Rarely do I find anything that fully justifies its description, but the "magic wand" tool certainly does, and largely avoids the errors which occur when I try to do the job without assistance.

The horizon certainly is a problem, and as you say I can't just go and take some shots of the real thing as you did the other day. TW has already put me right on the best place to take sky shots, which I gather is by the seaside. The ones I've used so far were just taken a few yards from my home, and shooting upwards, which I realise is not the best way to go about it. It is still a learning curve though, so I hope to improve with practice. All tips are very welcome though!.

TW has already put me right on the best place to take sky shots, which I gather is by the seaside.

That's sound advice as you need a clear view to the horizon without too many vertical intrusions. With our nearest bit of coast being North Wales and its inherent likelihood of less than brilliant weather I have to make do with grabbing sky shots from various elevated points and just use nondescript scenery for a distant view. I do have a library of all sorts of skies and I particularly like anything with subtle grey shades (maybe I should go to Rhyl?) where I try to match the direction of lighting in the sky and that falling upon the model where possible. I also tone the sky down by increasing the brightness at least; correctly exposed models and skies do not mix so a balance is sought.

Sticking with an appropriate theme to the topic here's a shot from the other day with a backdrop from high on the Staffordshire Moorlands.

LB6mini.jpg

Keep at it; it's great fun.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Great fun, says Andy Y. Hmmmm........ Why are there so many signals on this layout? And why did I choose to take a photo which contained so many? Still, the tedium of dealing with the signals was mitigated by the wielding of the eraser over the ******bookcases. :yes: :danced: :biggrin_mini2: :biggrin_mini2:

post-98-0-30231600-1349890188_thumb.jpg

At least you will never have seen this view like this before. The next one though has been seen often, and has the great merit(to me anyway) of being very easy to play about with. I have a lot to learn about how to position lights though, don't I?

post-98-0-12499700-1349890270_thumb.jpg

Ladas is arriving with a KX- Doncaster semi fast, while Gladiateur waits to take over the Down Northumbrian.

post-98-0-89691200-1349890464_thumb.jpg

Not quite identical this one. The addition of some wagons on the Down slow certainly helps with the horizon problem, though it gives me a whole new set of them to consider. And that is quite enough for today. This digital manipulation could become addictive. I am speaking of photoshopping of course, what else could I have meant? :angel:

• Like 14

Not very good weather in NWales Mr.York? Beats anywhere East of Rhyl into a cocked hat young man... :sungum:

If I can offer a suggestion Great Northern, skies need to be diluted/lightened to match the exposure of the land. One will get saturated skies when photographing them and so they need lightening. I also put a white layer behind them. Another thing is to match the direction of light with that on the ground.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

But SAC those clouds are foreign, unless that's a part of Clumber Park I haven't got to yet...... :scratchhead:

Digital manipulation is available on the NHS so don't worry (be happy).

That's a dirty A3 old bean; must be local?

(Love the signal shot by the way - excellent).

Oops here comes the nurse...I'm off.

P

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

But SAC those clouds are foreign, unless that's a part of Clumber Park I haven't got to yet...... :scratchhead:

Digital manipulation is available on the NHS so don't worry (be happy).

That's a dirty A3 old bean; must be local?

(Love the signal shot by the way - excellent).

Oops here comes the nurse...I'm off.

P

No A3's at New England in '58 Phil, nor at York, so only one candidate really, good old Gateshead.

• Like 1

Ladas is arriving with a KX- Doncaster semi fast,
Whilst I am impressed by the digital manipulation, the train should not be arriving, or even standing there with the points set against it. So maybe manipulate with the digits before doing the digital manipulation.

Regards

Keith

Gilbert,

Were those A3s really so dirty and woebegone in '58 ? Glad I saw them when they were much easier to identify !!!!

Yes, I know that Gateshead was famous for dirty engines, but this !!!!!!

Stuart

When I mentioned this I had to run for an air raid shelter! You can'y argue with a muck fetish.... :mosking:
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert,

Were those A3s really so dirty and woebegone in '58 ? Glad I saw them when they were much easier to identify !!!!

Yes, I know that Gateshead was famous for dirty engines, but this !!!!!!

Stuart

Now then Gresley, you should know that Gateshead used to polish their loco's till they dazzled on shed, but by the time they ran over to Central Station they were covered in c**p such was the air quality of the area at the time. Even I know that's why the ECML was renowned for fast running south of the Tyne Bridge as loco's tried to escape the area before they just turned black :mail:

Strangely the bods at Heaton just used to run a feather duster over their steeds (and loco's) and lo and behold they were bootiful; must have been the direction of the local winds with Heaton being closer to the coastal run to Edinburgh and the lovely fresh, sea air. I know this as I was told by my Great Grandad who lived there. :declare:

The condition of loco's off New England and Grantham is a different tale altogether and the following will explain this mystery that has baffled us lads for years and years and years and...............

Grantham used to collect Top Shed loco's and pretend they were theirs, hence the superb finish. New England's method was much, much more complicated and rather a sad tale. The Foremen from 34E in the later 50s had been abducted mistakenly by aliens and were shown a scene of the future where old bods mature modellers would be seen desperately trying to paint and weather loco's so that their model railways would look authentic. So, when they were returned to Earth (34E) they could remember only this strange vision of filthy loco's and thus they ordered a zero cleaning regime. So there it is and I know this because I read it in the Old Testament. :help:

Oi Matron, how do I undo these big straps on this white suit and why are there duvets stuck to my walls in this small room.................?

P @ 36E

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 5

Now then Gresley, you should know that Gateshead used to polish their loco's till they dazzled on shed, but by the time they ran over to Central Station they were covered in c**p such was the air quality of the area at the time. Even I know that's why the ECML was renowned for fast running south of the Tyne Bridge as loco's tried to escape the area before they just turned black :mail:

Strangely the bods at Heaton just used to run a feather duster over their steeds (and loco's) and lo and behold they were bootiful; must have been the direction of the local winds with Heaton being closer to the coastal run to Edinburgh and the lovely fresh, sea air. I know this as I was told by my Great Grandad who lived there. :declare:

The condition of loco's off New England and Grantham is a different tale altogether and the following will explain this mystery that has baffled us lads for years and years and years and...............

Grantham used to collect Top Shed loco's and pretend they were theirs, hence the superb finish. New England's method was much, much more complicated and rather a sad tale. The Foremen from 34E in the later 50s had been abducted mistakenly by aliens and were shown a scene of the future where old bods mature modellers would be seen desperately trying to paint and weather loco's so that their model railways would look authentic. So, when they were returned to Earth (34E) they could remember only this strange vision of filthy loco's and thus they ordered a zero cleaning regime. So there it is and I know this because I read it in the Old Testament. :help:

Oi Matron, how do I undo these big straps on this white suit and why are there duvets stuck to my walls in this small room.................?

P @ 36E

Mallard,

The mind boggles at the amount of research you have done in order to explain the difference in attitude. Those poor blokes at Heaton must have prayed that the prevailing winds stayed that way. I suppose that you can't really blame the Grantham boys for making the most of their chances when Top Shed sent them some nice shiny ones. We would probaly have done the same !!!

Yes, those men in their white coats are coming along the corridor - WATCH OUT !!!

gresley

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Dear RMWeb members. This is Mallard's SWMBO typing here. I am sorry but he has been taken into works for a complete overhaul and won't be posting on here until the treatment work has been completed and that could be some time.

P @ 36E (What does this mean and yes my name begins with a P as well......)

• RMweb Gold

Dear RMWeb members. This is Mallard's SWMBO typing here. I am sorry but he has been taken into works for a complete overhaul and won't be posting on here until the treatment work has been completed and that could be some time.

P @ 36E (What does this mean and yes my name begins with a P as well......)

Sorry to hear that and we hope he's well and kicking soon.Its a shed code and mine is 2D . :senile:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Not very good weather in NWales Mr.York? Beats anywhere East of Rhyl into a cocked hat young man... :sungum:

If I can offer a suggestion Great Northern, skies need to be diluted/lightened to match the exposure of the land. One will get saturated skies when photographing them and so they need lightening. I also put a white layer behind them. Another thing is to match the direction of light with that on the ground.

Thanks Larry - I knew something wasn't quite right with the sky, but thanks to you and Andy I now now what it is. I still have a lot to learn, and need all the help I can get.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Whilst I am impressed by the digital manipulation, the train should not be arriving, or even standing there with the points set against it. So maybe manipulate with the digits before doing the digital manipulation.

Regards

Keith

OK Keith, I put my hands up to that one. That signalman in North box is in big trouble!

• Like 3