The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those who like Aircraft pictures

DDolfelin

22 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Looks like a swept-wing; not many biplanes had that feature, I am thinking.

Biplanes not really my thing, late 30s  to 70s my particular interest, but thought  this might be something a bit ‘special’ to those in the know.

Made me think about the lightning, with an engineer sat in it, that accidentally selected full reheat and took off.

he managed a circuit and landing to his credit, which is no mean feat .

think that’s the one at duxford now 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Nice of this to fly over my garden three times in quick succesion this afternoon while performing a flypast over Ipswich Hospital, though it only actually flew over the Hospital one of those times.......

1476498120_a(1).JPG.8d76107997a4bdf07fd4841977b9a1d7.JPG

1285905186_a(2).JPG.ec7b486d601bda9dfc20c80789cb94ca.JPG

...and these were taken on the two passes it didn't!

• Like 14

1 hour ago, Johann Marsbar said:

Nice of this to fly over my garden three times in quick succesion this afternoon while performing a flypast over Ipswich Hospital, though it only actually flew over the Hospital one of those times.......

1476498120_a(1).JPG.8d76107997a4bdf07fd4841977b9a1d7.JPG

1285905186_a(2).JPG.ec7b486d601bda9dfc20c80789cb94ca.JPG

...and these were taken on the two passes it didn't!

Maybe he was too busy looking for ze germans

• Funny 1

The last Qantas 747 VH-OEJ over Brisbane on its second last farewell flight. Gutted I missed out on getting a ticket for this. There is one more farewell flight on Friday, then it makes a one way trip to Mojave next week.

OEJ.jpg.bd019816e4c45de219142b66fca72c82.jpg

• Like 7

Europe's equivalent to the American desert aircraft boneyards, Teruel airport in Spain.

Located just over mid way between Madrid and the Mediterranean coast.

Since the Covid-19 crisis hit, Teruel has played host to a number of "fairly young"  A380's (Lufthansa and Air France) and A340-600's (Lufthansa) which have been withdrawn from use.

British Airways sent 5 of its 31 747-400's there, which are probably never to fly again and will be scrapped there.

Video posted yesterday.

Watch in HD at full screen and pause at will, to take in what's stored there.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

3 hours ago, Metr0Land said:

Was that a South African 787 in there?  I knew people had been retiring 747, 777, A340 and A380 but don't recall anyone parking up 787's before.

Not a 787. It's an A350.

In fact there are 2x A350-9's and one of their A330-200's  there.

You can see all 3 of them clearly if you re-run the video and pause at various points.

The A350's went into service with SAA in December 2019 and January 2020 just gone, before being grounded by the pandemic in March and April.

They were parked up at JNB until a couple of weeks ago, when they flew up to Spain to be put into long term storage.

These are SAA's only A350's, which were originally delivered to Hainan Airlines in China, in Jan 2019, before being returned off lease in Oct 2019 and subsequently acquired by SAA.

Barely 12 months total time in service !!!!!!!

The A330 flew in the same day as one of the A350's. It's been in service with SAA since delivered new in 2011, but was withdrawn from use in Nov 2019 when SAA began reducing its operations due to severe financial difficulties. The airline has since gone bankrupt and has ceased operations, pending being liquidated. However a rescue package is being put together and a reformed airline is due to start back up later this year or early next.

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Thanks 1