Northern Rail Timetabled Steam On The S & C

Can't argue that one Mallard.

I went over Ais Gill behind 45562 Alberta back on the 5 August 1967 though, !!

The rover week in 68 was a doozer. We bunked Rose Grove Carnforth & Lostock Hall several times that week. Travelled a few times behind double headed D400'ers over Shap too !! Sadly none of our trains that week were steam.

A sad and happy week for me, 16 years old back then. I'll never forget it - welded to my soul.

Brit15

• RMweb Premium

If you want a cheap run uphill behind Tornado, then get on at Settle at about 1735 - but it will be dark. I haven't yet worked out the logistics of getting back south from intermediate stations up to Appleby........

I feel a plan coming on.

1742 northbound off Settle is due into Appleby at 1847 with a 1900 DMU return.....

If the steamer is late, then Kirkby Stephen could be a convenient turnback.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

I feel a plan coming on.

1742 northbound off Settle is due into Appleby at 1847 with a 1900 DMU return.....

Cheers,

Mick

For a fee I could provide emergency car cover.

Philth

• RMweb Premium

Can't argue that one Mallard.

I went over Ais Gill behind 45562 Alberta back on the 5 August 1967 though, !!

The rover week in 68 was a doozer. We bunked Rose Grove Carnforth & Lostock Hall several times that week. Travelled a few times behind double headed D400'ers over Shap too !! Sadly none of our trains that week were steam.

A sad and happy week for me, 16 years old back then. I'll never forget it - welded to my soul.

Brit15

Oh you lucky person. 

I was too involved with College and women in 1968. What a ####### #### I was. :scared:

Philth

I feel a plan coming on.

Cheers,

Mick

Hmm... Quite like the sound of that plan. Might see you there...

I thought the coverage was unusually pretty poor for the Beeb.

Footage of F##### S####### on the earlier broadcasts* and an interview with an "enthusiast" who was going on about it being the "end of an era", the "last of the line" and "you'll never see this again". Or something to that effect. Ask somebody that knows what they're talking about next time please.

*Surely they've got footage of Tornado seeing as they've previously featured it quite often including on Top Gear and even made a documentary about it.

Jason

Yes that is why Tornado is doing these scheduled services. To celebrate the reopening

To clarify:

The closed section between Armathwaite and Carlisle is due to reopen at the end of March, thus restoring the Settle & Carlisle to its full operational length once more. These specials with Tornado are about raising the public awareness of the line in the build up to the reopening and to say 'Thanks' to the locals who've had to put up with the disruption caused by the prolonged closure.

Carefully targetted for half term (and Valentines Day to boot!) it was nice to see the locals and kids enjoying a ride on their local line for the price of an ordinary ticket.

• RMweb Gold

Yes that is why Tornado is doing these scheduled services. To celebrate the reopening

Nearly there anyway. .It'll be about another 6 weeks before the Appleby-Carlisle section reopens after the landslip near Armathwaite is secure for traffic.What a major work of engineering that has been and soon that part of Cumbria can resume normal rail communication.Well done Network Rail and the people with the raw energy and skills to see this one to a successful conclusion. Unless you have seen the extent of the slip and sheer volume of material needed to make good you can't really appreciate what man versus nature is all about and what a pain and inconvenience it can be when a rail track,road or bridge is swept away and....as I did when up there late last spring.....you have to drive a twenty mile downstram diversion to cross the Eden.

In all of this,please spare a thought for the long-suffering people of Cumbria whose livelihoods depend on the S & C and good transport communication and who are still at the mercy of the elements.

This is to me the best railway journey in the UK by a long mile through some achingly beautiful scenery.It remains a triumph of human endeavour.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks; still can't see the whole B & C and maroon set of coaches though. Did you get some 'historic footage on one of the broadcasts?

Phil

• RMweb Premium

I thought the coverage was unusually pretty poor for the Beeb.

Footage of F##### S####### on the earlier broadcasts* and an interview with an "enthusiast" who was going on about it being the "end of an era", the "last of the line" and "you'll never see this again". Or something to that effect. Ask somebody that knows what they're talking about next time please.

*Surely they've got footage of Tornado seeing as they've previously featured it quite often including on Top Gear and even made a documentary about it.

Jason

The BBC evening news coverage was excellent and I had two doses as there is Look North here as well. Maybe you had a duff Regional TV piece or something Jason because I thought the coverage was quite good? To get this on national TV and throughout the day must make a pleasant change from the usual pile of mostly horrible news that pours out of the box these days.

Phil

The BBC evening news coverage was excellent and I had two doses as there is Look North here as well. Maybe you had a duff Regional TV piece or something Jason because I thought the coverage was quite good? To get this on national TV and throughout the day must make a pleasant change from the usual pile of mostly horrible news that pours out of the box these days.

Phil

It was the early morning footage on BBC News. They had a pretty young blonde on the platform that kept referring to Tornado as a carriage.

The FS footage was in a pre recorded segment shown just before the live links. Maybe that's where others are remembering seeing the Blood and Custard and Maroon carriages?

Jason

Looks like another decent run northbound - 4 late at Hellifield; 2 early at Garsdale.

Schedules are apparently slower than the train they replace - but let's be realistic: much though we love 'em, with equivalent of 12 behind the drawbar, even a powerful Class 8 pacific isn't going to get anywhere near a Cl.158 for acceleration. And stopping at Settle robs you of any kind of momentum you may have built up for the Long Drag up to Ribblehead. Southbound she's limited to 45mph anyway due to running tender first.

Anyone know what the weather is like in those parts today?

• RMweb Premium

Looks like another decent run northbound - 4 late at Hellifield; 2 early at Garsdale.

Schedules are apparently slower than the train they replace - but let's be realistic: much though we love 'em, with equivalent of 12 behind the drawbar, even a powerful Class 8 pacific isn't going to get anywhere near a Cl.158 for acceleration. And stopping at Settle robs you of any kind of momentum you may have built up for the Long Drag up to Ribblehead. Southbound she's limited to 45mph anyway due to running tender first.

I thought they were in addition to the usual services? Where are these stopping, most of the platforms are too short for a train that long (Appleby, Garsdale, and Settle are the only long-ish ones IIRC, not sure about Kirkby Stephen, which I should be because I'm modelling it!)

Archived