SWAG 2017 - Lineup, Details, Catering - all you need to know

Stubby47

• RMweb Gold

Not having an official specification we just told people it was pistachio and brocolli (or bogeys) but it didn't seem to put anyone off and it was the day's top-selling cake. I never had chance to try a slice and I'm just in the mood for one right now. We told people everything had nuts in it, even the doughnuts.

Whoever brought that in; well played!

Great British Bake Off meets RMweb, whatever next.

I would just like to take the opportunity to thank all who brought cake, like the pasties it is one of the highlights of the day and in addition to being much appreciated it makes a welcome addition to the charitable donation that comes out of the event.

Look forward to next year, and thanks again for the response to the original request.

Peter

• RMweb Premium

Ugh!

Never liked sprouts.

My worst fears were confirmed

by a recent radio programme,

apparently they contain cyanide.

Just passed on that info to SWMBO,

no guesses for the response I got,

"I'll have to put more on your plate then",

Edited by rab

You can make a cake sprout if you leave it long enough.

I know mother used to say eat up all your greens but I didn't expect this !

post-20303-0-89130700-1493757595.jpeg

Mind you it does have its benefits, I can see the West Someset Railway from up here :)

Jack

Unfortunately Taunton is a 4 hour drive from some parts of the Midlands. I know that because I was down there on holiday last summer ;-)

I can do from where I live on the South coast West Bay in Dorset to Burton-upon-Trent in 3 hour's and we do it a lot to visit relations.

Steve

• RMweb Gold

I took a few snaps, not great quality but there are some people in them...

Graham "Muz" with Canute Quay featuring an interloper

post-19301-0-93525300-1493761120_thumb.jpg

Interloper enlarged

post-19301-0-16435300-1493761178_thumb.jpg

Interloper made on to the modules too, Arthur and Culmhead officiating

post-19301-0-19967200-1493761211_thumb.jpg

Admirers admire, I think I've seen that bloke in the shirt before….

post-19301-0-23657700-1493761286_thumb.jpg

KIm, Phil and Tim by the bring and buy

post-19301-0-33851500-1493761325_thumb.jpg

Simon

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

I disappeared at lunchtime to the WSR as it was the gala and my friend Alan Dorrington was driving.

He was driving the superb visiting standard mogul, here seen having just arrived from Norton Fitzwarren - the weather was a bit wet and cold.

post-19301-0-38507300-1493761529_thumb.jpg

Here we see Alan on the footplate getting ready for the off(!)

post-19301-0-72311800-1493761572_thumb.jpg

I followed him on the QB set hauled by 53808, returning on the same coaches double headed by the mogul and a visiting 4F, all very enjoyable albeit everything running rather late, points failure at Minehead or some such.

Here are the locos moving off to the shed after arrival at Bishops Lydeard.

post-19301-0-40039000-1493762061_thumb.jpg

Altogether a very grand day out indeed!

Simon

• Like 15

Steam trains are OK, but can they really compete with pasties and cake?

Oh, the pasties and cake are extremely important; far more so than whether anything was running on such and such a layout when I stopped to look at it for 30 seconds or whether there was any modern image S scale at the show. At Taunton it's far more important whether you can get to have a chat with the layout's creator or catch up with friends.

It's why I'm far more likely to go to a small show for my own enjoyment than a large one.

• Like 3

And commission on sales certainly helped swell our collective contribution to the Macmillan Nurses charity. (More on that score from Andy Y later, no doubt.)

I don't wish to rush Mr York but i would be interested in how much was raised for this wonderful charity. :good:

(if he doesn't hurry up, i think we should threaten Mr York into wearing a pinny in the kitchen next year..........like these...... :jester: )

1. post-7447-0-28587900-1493803055.jpg

2. post-7447-0-71795200-1493803110_thumb.jpg

3.               post-7447-0-05571300-1493803142.jpg

4. post-7447-0-90449900-1493803173_thumb.jpg

5. post-7447-0-31741200-1493803210.jpg

6. post-7447-0-32014900-1493803244.jpg

I'm sorry to say but number 4 is taken by one of our members..........can you guess who it is ?  :scratchhead:    (clue is on the apron....he will kill me when he see's me next year ! lol)

• RMweb Gold

I believe that that is, in fact, the Andy York Summer 2017 pinny collection exclusive to Matalan.

Negotiations are under way with Captain Kernow to reprise his role as a Matalan supermodel just for these.

Edited by PhilH
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I can do from where I live on the South coast West Bay in Dorset to Burton-upon-Trent in 3 hour's and we do it a lot to visit relations.

Steve

Yes with a following wind and ideal traffic conditions :boast: But then Froth City is the centre of the universe.Easy to access from most of UK. and my late parents lived near Yeovil thus I'm no stranger to the the journey or Somerset.

The SWAG Taunton meet seems always a really attractive proposition.But I'm not up for a day excursion involving a six hour roundtrip grind via the M42/M5,,so an "overnighter" for me would be the civilised way of making the most of it.

Nice...and as Sondheim's song "Where are the clowns ?" ends "Maybe next year..." The clowns ?.Surely not in SWAG ? :jester:

As well as the monies, can I ask, do we know how many attended?

Do we know who attended?

Can I also appeal to those that did attend, to feel free to post their observations of Helstonish on my topic. Since its the first time in public for both the layout and myself, and I want it to continue to develop and improve, feedback would be appreciated.

All the best

TONY

• Like 2

As well as the monies, can I ask, do we know how many attended?

Do we know who attended?

1. We should be able to give a final total before the end of the week when some electronic payments have been made but it's outstanding.

2. No idea; we don't count, not like a normal show but it's tens rather than hundreds which will make (1.) all the more relevant when it's announced.

3. No idea about everyone and it would be difficult to list everyone without offending those I missed.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Well kim and I attended and, as usual, had an excellent day out. I was allowed the day off from my diet to have some pie and cake - many thanks to those in the kitchen for slipping me a second helping of each through the side door whilst Kim was occupied on the B&B stand!

I sold a few bits and bought a few (mainly another 7F). The B&B generally was a great success, and raised a not inconsiderable sum which I'll leave Andy or Phil to announce.

Didn't realise Kim had accused Dudders of leaving lipstick marks on his cup until she confessed last night - he of course denies it! Glad the Cuneo book went to a good home, there are some lovely prints in there and hours of fun finding the mice!

The 2mm demo seemed to go down well again, particularly my sound fitted 4F. I'm happy to bring more 2mm next year when my Cameo competition entry should be well underway.

Thanks also for the name checks for our Warminster show in June, it promises to be a cracker. I can't do links on Kim's iPad so if some kind soul would like to do one to the thread I'd be grateful.

Finally a big thanks to all those who made it happen again - they know who they are. It's great to know that plans are already afoot to do it all again next year.

Oh, and can we drop all this nonsense about moving elsewhere. The clue is in the name, it's a SWAG do, all invited. The venue and location are perfect.

Jerry and Kim

Edited by queensquare
  • Like 10

A couple of weeks ago, I left Penzance at 10.30am and we passed Taunton at 3.15pm.

Apart from the fact the M5 was blocked between Junct's 31 & 30, and the A30 backed up to near the Cheriton Bishop roundabout, plus every back lane from there up via Crediton etc., was blocked, Taunton is usually 3 hours for me.

Twice, due to roadworks, accidents etc., it's taken me over 10 hours from PZ to Great Barr....

The rail network was not clever for the SWAG weekend either.

• RMweb Gold

Some lovely models on your demonstration Jerry. The Warminster Finescale Do   Mendip Model Railway Group (blame it all on Jerry) is here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/118457-mmrg-warminster-show-june-17-2017/

and for those who find Taunton a convenient place Somerset Railway Modellers organise Rail-Ex Taunton which can be found here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/121817-rail-ex-taunton-21st-22nd-october-2017/

This is more a traditional show than a small finescale gathering. Cannot promise pasties but the Catering is first class

I will admit to bias as it my local club of which I am a committee member.

Don

• Like 2