Bachmann Branchline 2019 catalogue announces more OO9 and HKA bogie hopper.

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Yes I'm on the same page and had far too many Bachmann 66's (I said 9 but it was actually 11) thus sold them all but only getting 4 Hatton's sound fitted 66's to replace them.

Overall I am reducing my stock quite considerably because quite simply I just went mad over the last 4 years so in the process of selling off stock and just having a small fleet of sound fitted loco's only of today's modern image variety...and yes every penny helps considering the expense.

We've all got far too much stock :)

• RMweb Gold

Time to market will be key - especially for Bachmann and Hattons.

My view, the overall market for BR large logo/Biffa Class 66's will grow as a result of this. Hornby will mop up sales at their lower price point, while Bachmann and Hattons duke it out. The question is whether the Hornby/Bachmann pincer movement is enough to make it non-vialbe for Hattons?

Sales figures for each would be really interesting. An RMweb poll might give some idea....

We've all got far too much stock :)

if I buy an item of stock and get home, take it out of its wrapper and then find I already have one that I didn't know about, does that mean I have too much stock?

• RMweb Premium

I think Bachmann have realised their 2005 tooling of the 66 isn’t going to fly anymore at £160 ish. It can never be more expensive than the hattons at £150 assuming they don’t cock it up.

So the £125-130 range is where it’s at and that makes sense

Makes me wonder at what the RRP of this year's Bachmann 66 would have been if Hattons hadn't announced their version.....................

The 66 discussion is interesting. Hornby putting out a few is a great move for them as it will appeal to a lot of trainset Modellers who will be able to get a sound fitted model in the latest liveries - only good for the hobby overall to gain new interest especially after the popularity gained through GMRC on TV last year.

In my collection I’ve got more 66’s than I need with a dozen EWS/DB, then Freightliner, DRS, and several GBRF models. I do plan to get 3 Hattons models with Bifs sounds as I do think it will be better, newer technology, more detail in the tooling but the space for the big speaker will make this stand out as well and this will give me a super detailed option for my layout. I’m not rushing to sell off what I have in fact I’ve only offloaded 1 Freightliner 66 ever. I do like the Biffa model and could see the Bachmann version appealing purely on price and it will match the rest of the GBRF models I have so makes sense.

Mark

The price point difference will be £27 of thereabouts between bachy and hattons. It’ll be an interesting exercise in psychology to see if that makes a real difference to those who can afford £150 discretionary purchases in the first place

I returned my last two Royal Mail coaches as the sole bar level stripes and logos looked more like EWS gold rather than the brighter yellow on my previously bought coaches.
By the look f the photographs on Andy’s posting, it looks like the GUV and Sorting coac hae reverted to the original yellow?
Has any member seen samples to confirm?
John

Edited by JCClark

• RMweb Gold

Out of interest Hattons have the 2019 Bachmann 66s listed at £125(ish) is that the new RRP or price after discount, I can’t find any definitive info anywhere to what the actual RRP is

Kernow are quoting an RRP on the new 66's of £144.95 (selling at £123.21)

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/63356/32-740-Bachmann-Class-66-7-66789-British-Rail-1948-1997-GBRf

I earn my last two Royal Mail coaches as the sole bar level stripes and logos looked more like EWS gold rather than the brighter yellow on my previously bought coaches.

By the look f the photographs on Andy’s posting, it looks like the GUV and Sorting coac hae reverted to the original yellow?

Has any member seen samples to confirm?

John

If they're hand-painted samples, they may have been lined with transfers and I haven't seen any of them as dull as the gold lining seen on the TPO Stowage van recently

Makes me wonder at what the RRP of this year's Bachmann 66 would have been if Hattons hadn't announced their version.....................

It would have been what they estimated the customer base would pay to have the best available version.

The price point difference will be £27 of thereabouts between bachy and hattons. It’ll be an interesting exercise in psychology to see if that makes a real difference to those who can afford £150 discretionary purchases in the first place

Think of it in terms of '20% off'. That's a lot in the world of discretionary purchases, especially for anyone not overly fussed about having all the features but wanting a model with a good drive and general accuracy (which they might be planning to improve themselves). We see quite a number of posts on the theme of an overall sound model for less cash, and this might be a good example.

• RMweb Gold

I Nice to see some sensible relivery releases in bread and butter models.  My only disappointment is that the two new releases of the Compound are BR black - again.  I'd have thought that we should be due an LMS red one by now.

I've also been hankering for a Compound in LMS livery and often thought this was a big "miss" not to have produced that livery yet. 

• RMweb Gold

Pleasantly surprised to see a sound fitted Bachmann 66 on pre-orders for £190, very reasonable compared to I believe the £265 for the upcoming Hatton's ones. If, and a large if, they improve the sounds of the 66 like they did on the recent Europhoenix 37 then its going to be a winner. 

I had a pre-order on with Hatton's for their new 66 in the GBRf Large Logo livery, and will stick with it as it's a 'celebrity' loco so something special to have for a new model, but glad to see Bachmann releasing the new Freightliner livery this year on theirs which is one over on Hatton's. 

For interest I looked up how much I paid for the original lined C class (592). It was 115 pounds for two (no VAT). A few years ago now but still quite an amazing price jump to today.

Ouch! I paid £38 for mine in a Covent Garden Museum clearance sale....

Stewart