Bachmann Branchline 2019 catalogue announces more OO9 and HKA bogie hopper.

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

For interest I looked up how much I paid for the original lined C class (592). It was 115 pounds for two (no VAT). A few years ago now but still quite an amazing price jump to today.

If you think that's amazing. Check out the Presflo. I paid as little as £8.95 for some of mine, and only a couple of quid more for most of the rest.

The original C was going to be an impulse purchase for me, but the impulse has long since dissipated, so I think I'll give it a miss this time around, specially as I'd have to renumber it as the Bluebell loco. 

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

If they're hand-painted samples, they may have been lined with transfers and I haven't seen any of them as dull as the gold lining seen on the TPO Stowage van recently

They look like images of the previous releases. The BG in particular has roof lines, whereas the latest tooling has a smooth roof. There are three new releases in Royal Mail red.

The new BG 39-184B is shown as 92233, which is the same number as 39-184A https://www.hattons.co.uk/38563/Bachmann_Branchline_39_184A_BR_Mk1_NEA_Full_Brake_in_Royal_Mail_/StockDetail.aspx,

The new GUV 39-275A is shown as 93323, which is the same number as 39-275 https://www.hattons.co.uk/60780/Bachmann_Branchline_39_275_BR_Mk1_GUV_Royal_Mail/StockDetail.aspx

The new 39-430A looks like 80301, which is also the same number as 39-430 https://www.hattons.co.uk/38510/Bachmann_Branchline_39_430_BR_Mk1_POS_Post_Office_Sorting_Van_in_Royal_Mail_Letters_Large_Red_/StockDetail.aspx  

Perhaps Bachmann is doing re-runs of the previous model so they don't need to sign off on livery samples. Previous versions of the BG and GUV have had the thinner and duller yellow lining. The line spacing on them at least does look more authentic than the brighter yellow and lines closer together on the TPOs. What we get remains to be seen, as does whether Bachmann really does intend to standardise on the duller lines from now on. Whatever, i don't think we can rely on the latest images as a guide.

Edited by brushman47544

If you think that's amazing. Check out the Presflo. I paid as little as £8.95 for some of mine, and only a couple of quid more for most of the rest.

The original C was going to be an impulse purchase for me, but the impulse has long since dissipated, so I think I'll give it a miss this time around, specially as I'd have to renumber it as the Bluebell loco. 

John

Last year, you could pick up boxes of 3 Presflos for under £50. This year yet get just one. A couple of years back, an NSE 2-EPB with resin station and flashy box was just over £180. Other EPBs plain green or blue closed on £200. My recommendation to Barwell is do box sets more often!

They can start by revising birdcages as a 3 box set instead of as individual units.

I expect you will be able to pick up some Bachmann bargains from mail order firms by November. You may be interested to see that Graham Farish will be producing the birdcage coaches in boxed sets of three so perhaps Bachmann will consider doing this in 00 gauge.

Meanwhile I am pleased to see that Bachmann are going to produce some West Coast Railway coaches and a class 37 diesel to go with their claret class 47 diesel. I enclose some pictures of a West Coast Mainline train that we will be able to partly represent. This is the Swanage Belle from Victoria on 13th September 2018.

post-17621-0-65507900-1547799206_thumb.jpgpost-17621-0-61218700-1547799236_thumb.jpgpost-17621-0-92088300-1547799270_thumb.jpgpost-17621-0-49955700-1547799305_thumb.jpg

I don't know what has happened about the pictures. Some have appeared twice and they are not in the order I put them in.

post-17621-0-64536000-1547799187_thumb.jpg

post-17621-0-86656800-1547799546_thumb.jpg

Edited by Robin Brasher
  • Like 3

>>Activate pedant mode<< 

The maroon stock is actually that of West Coast Railways (WCR), the Carnforth based spot-hire and charter train operator.

Those photos are taken from a lovely spot; I've only travelled on the Swanage line once, but I remember it featuring in Railway Modeller in the seventies too and being quite captivated by it, so I think a return visit is essential.

• RMweb Premium

Pleasantly surprised to see a sound fitted Bachmann 66 on pre-orders for £190, very reasonable compared to I believe the £265 for the upcoming Hatton's ones. If, and a large if, they improve the sounds of the 66 like they did on the recent Europhoenix 37 then its going to be a winner. 

I had a pre-order on with Hatton's for their new 66 in the GBRf Large Logo livery, and will stick with it as it's a 'celebrity' loco so something special to have for a new model, but glad to see Bachmann releasing the new Freightliner livery this year on theirs which is one over on Hatton's. 

There is a suggestion that the sound decoders in the 66 will be a ESU Select. If this is the case, it will account for a significant chunk of the £75 difference.

They've certainly fitted Select to 37884.

• RMweb Premium

The Hattons 66 also has a new speaker designed specifically to give the best sound possible. Having seen the Bachmann and Hornby models and the Hattons EPs, I will be sticking with my Hattons order. I cannot see Hattons pulling out of this project as one poster suggested.

Edited by 7013

>>Activate pedant mode<< 

The maroon stock is actually that of West Coast Railways (WCR), the Carnforth based spot-hire and charter train operator.

Those photos are taken from a lovely spot; I've only travelled on the Swanage line once, but I remember it featuring in Railway Modeller in the seventies too and being quite captivated by it, so I think a return visit is essential.

in 2000 I was asked at 2 weeks notice to move to the Poole area (from Aberdeen) to take up a temporary posting for 6-12 mos.  I was accommodated for the first few weeks in Corfe Castle at the Bankes Arms and I vividly remember sitting out in the beer garden in brilliant sunshine watching trains puffing past the bottom of the garden and thinking "wow - this is the life".  I was able to extend my temporary posting to ~3.5 years during which time I met my wife.  At the end of my posting we moved back to Aberdeen with my wife becoming an English expat in Scotland - we both hanker after those glorious days in Dorset and plan one day to return for good (we still go back on hols).  The snap decision to move down in 2000 changed my life for the positive in many ways and if anyone ever has the chance - Dorset is an amazing place to live.

BTW - beer specials on the railway between Corfe and Swanage - has there ever been a better way to spend time? good beer, nice people and beautiful scenery...

• Like 4

Will be interesting to see whether the WCRC coaches come in standard BR maroon or in WCRC’s own maroon, which is considerably redder.

In my post 384 you can see that Union of South Africa's support brake 2nd coach is in British Railways crimson lake whereas the West Coast Railway coaches behind are in a redder shade. The latter also had dark grey roofs which absorbed the heat from the sun and made the passengers very hot during the summer weather.

Edited by Robin Brasher

>>Activate pedant mode<< 

is that really necessary?   

is that really necessary?   

What, a return visit?  I confess it's not high on my to-do list, but it would certainly be nice.   :angel:

If you are referring to the pedantry, nothing's ever necessary, although it's sometimes useful, and the poster in question 'thanked' me for the clarification/ correction.  

I expect you will be able to pick up some Bachmann bargains from mail order firms by November. You may be interested to see that Graham Farish will be producing the birdcage coaches in boxed sets of three so perhaps Bachmann will consider doing this in 00 gauge.

Meanwhile I am pleased to see that Bachmann are going to produce some West Coast Railway coaches and a class 37 diesel to go with their claret class 47 diesel. I enclose some pictures of a West Coast Mainline train that we will be able to partly represent. This is the Swanage Belle from Victoria on 13th September 2018.

attachicon.gif010.JPGattachicon.gif010.JPGattachicon.gif012.JPGattachicon.gif013.JPGattachicon.gif014.JPGattachicon.gif015.JPG

I don't know what has happened about the pictures. Some have appeared twice and they are not in the order I put them in.

For a moment thought I might have just been out of shot then saw the date. Watched the Swanage Belle the year prior, just along from the viaduct. If anyone is interested I think I have full consist photos for that rake (or pretty much). A 47 on the back that day (or the front in the below shot).

post-13109-0-13696800-1547907289_thumb.jpg

Just realised that 99723 and 1860 announced by Bachmann were both in the rake that day

post-13109-0-25228600-1547907495_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-67617100-1547907667_thumb.jpg

5239 would only need one digit changing too to make 5229

post-13109-0-07965900-1547907744_thumb.jpg

Hope this may be of some minor use to anyone.

Wild Boar Fell

Edited by Wild Boar Fell
  • Like 1

For a moment thought I might have just been out of shot then saw the date. Watched the Swanage Belle the year prior, just along from the viaduct. If anyone is interested I think I have full consist photos for that rake (or pretty much). A 47 on the back that day (or the front in the below shot).

attachicon.gifDSC09680.JPG

Just realised that 99723 and 1860 announced by Bachmann were both in the rake that day

attachicon.gifDSC09672.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC09674.JPG

5239 would only need one digit changing too to make 5229

attachicon.gifDSC09675.JPG

Wild Boar Fell

Thank you. I bought a Bachmann West Coast Railway class 47 before it went into Hattons' Sale of the Century. I hope I will soon be on the way to running some of the complete train.

Wild Boar Fell

Cheers for sharing those photos. I’ve ordered 3 Mk 2’s to renumber a couple. I’ve converted quite a few MK1’s into WCRC from normal maroon ones with a few more to do.

Thanks

Mark

The Badley Drewry loco appeals to me, as do the RNAD vehicles. Been wanting to do a small 00-9 (probably 2mm FS track I guess) military layout for a while, possibly with a interchange to standard gauge (P4 probably) and these and the Hornby 48DS will be great for that idea.

The Pannier in L94 guise is interesting, is it a new chassis with DCC capability on these? Otherwise a fairly minimal announcement with little of interest to me personally.

The Panniers have been DCC ready since 2007 and split chassis version was replaced in 2005.

That's good to know, Thanks. I have a few older ones with split chassis, which will get replacement from comet parts.

Interested to see the mk2z in ScotRail. Looks like they are already well advanced. Not sure about the location of ScotRail on the side of the TSO. Looks too far from the coach end. I'd expect it to be under the first main window rather than the second.

https://www.Bachmann.co.uk/product/branchline-br-mk2-tso-tourist-second-open-br-scotrail-39-353/

I have tried to find photos but have struggled to check on the position.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/d9006/6191222533/in/pool-2858153@N25/

Interested to see the mk2z in ScotRail. Looks like they are already well advanced. Not sure about the location of ScotRail on the side of the TSO. Looks too far from the coach end. I'd expect it to be under the first main window rather than the second.

https://www.Bachmann.co.uk/product/branchline-br-mk2-tso-tourist-second-open-br-scotrail-39-353/

I have tried to find photos but have struggled to check on the position.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/d9006/6191222533/in/pool-2858153@N25/

Totally agree on both counts,... should be under the first window.... And secondly, yeah, it’s difficult to find photos! I was watching YouTube and that confirmed to me that the Bachmann placement is wrong... i’d taken some screen shots from YouTube, but not sure if it’s permissable to post them here.... Edited by Andy Mac

Totally agree on both counts,... should be under the first window.... And secondly, yeah, it’s difficult to find photos! I was watching YouTube and that confirmed to me that the Bachmann placement is wrong... i’d taken some screen shots from YouTube, but not sure if it’s permissable to post them here....

ScotRail Mk2z in my photo here, but the trolley blocks the view of the branding, but it's not under the 2nd window............

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151257534@N04/37002563461/in/photolist-YnMNY6-7zBC6f-gRbDzS-9C4jaL-5Xdx5H-pnDhjD-daSFKA-8D6qjS-fLc2Ao-29BTWDj-eFZJJm-LBt2TW-Ro2w9u-21ct9KH-21wakRA-9VBbmg-2cs22MG-25B4fyu-o3DbfB-DchBrx-nw9vES-omTLSk-qV2mV7-NahLxb-29zCmJ8-pVEWPL-24taPY2-217sjcf-a67KYP-dga9Hq-5dLVu6-f6SHw1-a2mKJi-28ki6yQ-bzJorF-25Qp9pr-pswoCb-cRw3eh-anxwEX-9xfP3x-27bsMrt-aby8Vv-2duLZpK-aBvWbn-q68LyX-RcidQA-7HpZTm-2br11Jg-bznPXj-2cwem6Z

Edit: Also worthy of note, looking at the Bachmann photos of these coaches, the Blue/White lining is too low down, the top edge of the white lining should be directly under the window frames/door 

handles. 

https://80srail.zenfolio.com/p46631637  (5146)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/davidwf2009/5658317877/in/photolist-9C1mLM-6zTFZ8-dn9vae-bzVo25-9dYAxP-dg4gXC-bE2gD2-2a4cG1L-dhX6Ee-da7q9g-oQVF9S-TjE8LA-dKSooY-NRYLdn-q353N9-bvsbpj-psNwdx-YaSLK9-dNJn2C-p7dRnr-8sa9ca-2c8c75p-dauHnJ-BLVgVN-9UDx4s-9DmEhJ-UqS8CF-dGK3ox-29J5rpo-bngQXj-qGUoCj-9QPCv8-dexLD8-22CRivX-RX3Kn1-9jt38w-cVxjjA-DkEFEH-2bQ3Seo-cYZ9UE-9DmDHU-KFiurT-MksdP1-5jKVk9-aa4bfa-SFtwAx-dZqUWC-22xufqw-bNxKJ4-XmrZSM

Edited by tractor_37260

• RMweb Gold

That's good to know, Thanks. I have a few older ones with split chassis, which will get replacement from comet parts.

I've replaced mine with current spec donors from 'Bay; the running is first class and silent, and the cost is comparable.  A rough guide when browsing 'Bay is that if the loco has NEM couplers it's current spec.

Edited by The Johnster