James May's Big Trouble in Model Britain. - Hornby's decline and struggle to survive.

Ron Ron Ron

22 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Shows the power of the brand, there wouldn't be a similar programme about Bachmann.

The model railway challenge recently on TV was very subtly supported by Bachmann and achieved viewing figures of over a million.

If only 1% of that translated into sales you would probably be very happy.

I will be interested to see how this program compares - hopefully not a boring documentary...

• Informative/Useful 1

• Administrators

A little heads up -  This topic is going to be pretty active so the Admins will be taking extra interest in it.

If you feel the need to turn it into a stick to beat Hornby or any other company with, forget it. If we hear the sound of a favourite hobbyhorse being saddled up for some unrelated moaning, we'll need to take action.

Having seen some of the filming take place, I'm sure there will be loads to talk about. There will also be people who appear on screen watching this thread so before taking potshots, just imagine you were on the receiving end. The GMRC thread ended up as one of the best on RMweb, so let's try for that again. 

Thanks.

• Like 14
  • Agree 3

14 hours ago, Andy Y said:

Drop them a line asking them to shelve it as you've already decided you don't like it. 

I am already looking forward to the nonsense that shall be said once aired. 

Having found myself around a filming day, I got talking to the production company team (off camera). Sounds to be a fascinating programme, looking at how a 'standard' corporate company with everyday big business decisions, also makes these magical toys that generations have loved. It is not a programme for the enthusiast, but for the public to see how such a company operates around a significant re-launch. I am looking really forward to watching! 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Not available until the 6th ;) 

Well, that'll be that, then!

TBH, a bit of positive publicity does no harm. I wonder if they do a repeat programme in October half-term....? Some (actually, any ) business would give their eye teeth for that amount of prime time air time. Perhaps James May is lining up a reviewers slot, when he gets fed up with driving cars. 

Edited by tomparryharry
Poor grammar, and getting back on topic.

• RMweb Gold

I wonder if Simon Koehler will also assess the decline of Hornby before he left? 

It will be interesting (I hope) but I don't expect anything especially informative. Hornby certainly upset a lot of people during Simon's absence with their move towards direct selling — but that move was driven by a desire to replace the sales "lost" as a result of the demise of ModelZone. It isn't clear how the present management can replace those sales either.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

I think that there may be some pictures of Hornby 0 gauge trains and Hornby Dublo trains as produced by Meccano in this programme. I am sure that James May will explain that the present Hornby company is different to the original Hornby company and that the present day company is a successor to Rovex Industries.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

I wonder if Simon Koehler will also assess the decline of Hornby before he left? ...

Indeed. A survey of the entire Chinese adventure to near present: now that would make a deeply interesting programme. Also of interest, will James May have had an update for this programme? Much has happened in RTR OO since he got his Midland Pullman and Flying Scotsman in the 1970s...

• Like 3

James May was present at the official re-opening of Hornby's re-furbished Margate office, last week.

By all accounts, it was filmed for the forthcoming 2 part TV series.

Hornby are relocated back to Margate, after being based in Sandwich for some 5 years.

A slight irony in that they are leasing back (paying rent for) the offices they sold to Locomotive Storage Ltd. two years ago.

https://www.kentlive.news/news/kent-news/Hornby-made-wrong-decision-leave-2562272

https://theisleofthanetnews.com/2019/02/19/tv-presenter-james-may-joins-official-celebration-of-hornbys-return-to-margate/

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/thanet/news/james-may-joins-celebrations-as-Hornby-returns-to-town-199365/

52608677_10155844113085843_6147957264285

51405188_10155810593855843_1167246453194

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

I wonder if Simon Koehler will also assess the decline of Hornby before he left? 

He said at the time that was why he left ;)  Find his statement about setting up Kohler media or whatever it was called, it's in there.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, S&CR said:

I have thought that Hornby would make an interesting 'case study' for a business school for a while. It will be interesting to see what light this program sheds. I must admit I was somewhat surprised to read Mr Kohler's comments in a recent magazine article that Hornby was a 'system' product but that the products chosen did not reflect that!

Yep, Business School will definitely tune in. Those Sir John Harvey-Jones 'Troubleshooter' VHS tapes are definitely a bit scratchy now & needing new material after AirBnB & the like lost their shine.

Dava

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

6 minutes ago, rockershovel said:

I seem to remember that sale-and-leaseback was all a part of the “creative accounting” (formerly known as “asset stripping”) that figured largely in the 1980s “economic boom”? 

Indeed, but with Margate, Hornby sold and left.

Only retaining a lease on the visitor centre, originally pending a move to a new location (those plans have since been shelved).

Moving back to the empty Margate office building, has presumably saved the higher cost of leasing the modern office suite at Discovery Park, Sandwich.

I'm guessing it must also provide an income for Locomotive Storage Ltd, making that a more secure and viable business.

Possibly a mutual win-win for both landlord and tenant.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

James May was present at the official re-opening of Hornby's re-furbished Margate office, last week.

By all accounts, it was filmed for the forthcoming 2 part TV series.

Hornby are relocated back to Margate, after being based in Sandwich for some 5 years.

A slight irony in that they are leasing back (paying rent for) the offices they sold to Locomotive Storage Ltd. two years ago.

https://www.kentlive.news/news/kent-news/Hornby-made-wrong-decision-leave-2562272

https://theisleofthanetnews.com/2019/02/19/tv-presenter-james-may-joins-official-celebration-of-hornbys-return-to-margate/

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/thanet/news/james-may-joins-celebrations-as-Hornby-returns-to-town-199365/

52608677_10155844113085843_6147957264285

51405188_10155810593855843_1167246453194

I read the media articles you attached - many thanks - but I am a little confused (a normal state, I admit).

Kent Live would appear to report that the Hersden warehouse operation will be returning to Margate in April. The Kent Messenger site merely states that the warehousing is still at Hersden. The other site does not even mention it. Does anyone know for sure? (or has this already been discussed on the existing Hornby discussion thread, which I seem unable to locate since the new software??).

If it is coming back, I assume they have estimated enough remaining space (unless they will keep it in the loco tenders, or something?

• Like 2

The earlier press reports (November) announcing the return to Margate, said that Hornby were renting office space on the first and second floor (usually referred to as ground floor and first floor in UK speak).

They also referred to the establishment of the new trade showrooms at the premises.

No mention of distribution moving.

Last week's Kent Online says......

"The company moved its offices to Discovery Park in Sandwich in 2015 but is "coming home" to the town where it was based for nearly 60 years before the move."

"The Hornby Visitor Centre remained at the Ramsgate Road site during the changes but is now reuniting the company's staff and showcases for its products."

"The company's distribution warehouse is still based at the Lakeside Business Park in Hersden, near Canterbury, following a move in 2014."

The main warehouse at Margate has been modified and fitted out for the storage of locomotives and rolling stock.

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
32 minutes ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

The earlier press reports (November) announcing the return to Margate, said that Hornby were renting office space on the first and second floor (usually referred to as ground floor and first floor in UK speak).

They also referred to the establishment of the new trade showrooms at the premises.

No mention of distribution moving.

Last week's Kent Online says......

"The company moved its offices to Discovery Park in Sandwich in 2015 but is "coming home" to the town where it was based for nearly 60 years before the move."

"The Hornby Visitor Centre remained at the Ramsgate Road site during the changes but is now reuniting the company's staff and showcases for its products."

"The company's distribution warehouse is still based at the Lakeside Business Park in Hersden, near Canterbury, following a move in 2014."

The main warehouse at Margate has been modified and fitted out for the storage of locomotives and rolling stock.

That's completely correct, the warehousing and distribution remains at Between. The trade showroom was completed at the end of the year with office moves happening at present.

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 24/02/2019 at 17:02, Edwardian said:

"Hornby Director Simon Kohler assesses the decline of his beloved company during his four-year absence. "

History is being written by those presently in charge!

As Winston Churchill (almost) said:  "History will be kind to me ... for I intend to write it."

;)

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

In last November's report of the move, the Isle of Thanet news said.....

".....Mr Kohler said last year the company had to travel to Birmingham and set up a mobile showroom, meaning permanent space in Margate is a boon......"

Did anyone here know Hornby had a mobile showroom in Brum?

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

Did anyone here know Hornby had a mobile showroom in Brum?

It was a trade roadshow in conference facilities in the city last January.

• Thanks 2