Kato/Peco Announce FR Locos in 009! (confirmed!)

Edge

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

but I think it's pretty much dead

I wouldn't bank in that, this is a Kato project and I'm sure it was embarked upon based on expected sales in Japan. I can't see Bachmann's offering faring as well in the land of the rising sun as a Home Grown one. Kato always talk in production runs of 10,000+, not the paltry 1 or 2 thousand you may sell in the UK...

• Like 1

There are plenty of alternative FR Double Fairlies: going early there's James Spooner as built, going '70s/'80s there's 'The Square' while the current EoM, DLG and the new build James Spooner are all to a larger loading gauge.

Edited by BernardTPM

All potentially available from Bachmann though, I'm pretty sure they said they can do them all in the article in the BCC magazine. 

They already do DLG.

https://www.Bachmann-collectorsclub.co.uk/product/category/693/ffestiniog-railway-double-fairlie-'david-lloyd-george'-fr-lined-red/391-100k

I think Kato/PECO have probably missed the boat.

Jason

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

They already do DLG

Albeit it’s too small as DLG is actually a few percent larger all round. That’s why it was a club model. 

Last I heard from someone in the know was they were still intending doing it with traction tyres, like Prince, because it would haul more. As Kato don’t do project updates and only reveal at shows so if it doesn’t get dropped I suspect the next we will see is a tooling prototype. 

• Agree 1

Yes, Bachmann's DLG is too small.

On the other hand it will be interesting to see if Kato ever do the tall cab version of Prince. The cab and chimney are separate parts so wouldn't require a complete retooling. I suspect it won't happen though.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

First disappointment, having seen Welsh Pony in December light I thought it was black. Then looked back at my photos;

IMG_20221211_110533015_HDR2.jpg.1eb7d834df065516bd0139d315830e35.jpg

Definitely brown! Far more excited than I have reasonable excuse to be. Wallet cowering in the corner.

Really cheered up what's been quite a challenging day although it hasn't helped my adrenaline levels any.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I think Peter Stiles is correct, Kato may go ahead or may cancel, but either way I don't think Bachmann will determine which way they go. Kato's core market is Japan, they make overseas models largely because it pleases Mr Kato (a passionate rail enthusiast, he is the real deal) and there is a market for them in Japan. Their N gauge IEP/800 sold well in Japan and it appears the narrow gauge kettles have been very well received in Japan. British demand and the collaboration with Peco are nice extras and a few welcome additional sales but Japan is the market that really matters to them.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

FYI my understanding is that these are not true Large Englands, the difference between these and the earlier releases is disc driving wheels instead of spoked and a different tank moulding with a forward position nameplate.  The wheelbase remains unchanged and the cab will be the current moulding from Princess/Prince rather than one with the larger symmetrical arrangement of front and rear sections of the cab side sheets.

Please don't take that this as criticism of Kato/Peco, I'm happy to see more models encouraging 009 modelling and most people aren't long time FR rivet counters like me!   

My under construction 1920s WHR layout has large radius scratchbuilt track and needs a Large England.  With disc driving wheels I can probably live with the wheelbase discrepancy and have ideas about extending the cab to the correct size as I don't need much of a gap to the tender to squeeze round tight curves.  

Martin

Edited by mcowgill
typo
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I find his reviews pretty useful even though I disagree a lot of the time as they do show the model pretty well and how to remove the body. I  also find him an engaging presenter. That said, his obsession with price and use of pejorative like 'rip off merchant' to describe models he thinks are expensive gets a bit much. And his use of the word 'quality' is annoying, in his view it seems to mean 'heavy'. His review of the England was typical, good in parts but felt like a hatchet job in parts.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Sam's views of the Small England pretty much match mine.  I was very tempted indeed to dabble in 009 after Bachmann's releases but the Peco offering, despite the Kato mech, doesn't seem to appeal to me in the same way even if I ignore the price.

But as I haven't played with one I could of course be wrong! 🙂

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Roy Langridge said:

I hardwired a small decoder in my four, a Zimo a MX616R by memory. A fairly straightforward job. 

Roy

did you do a thread about it or anything, or did you see a guide as I really want to get mine up and running 

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, big jim said:

did you do a thread about it or anything, or did you see a guide as I really want to get mine up and running 

I didn’t unfortunately. I was trained as an electronic engineer so relatively simple for me. 

I am away at the moment, when I am back I will pop the body off and take some photos. 

Roy