New Hornby Rocket

CF MRC

2 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

More detailed than the original Triang ones, New sets are the same mouldings just different names and packaging ;) 

The 'Tri-ang' packaged one has the same names as the original Tri-ang Railways 3-coach set. The 'standard' set has three new coach names not used before.

• Informative/Useful 2

On 17/01/2020 at 22:46, Pre Grouping fan said:

It's a generic term I think. Like the term 4 foot being used for the track gauge even if it is 4ft 8.5"

Indeed, but its amazing how many people try and be prototypical and get the '6 foot' exactly right, as others have said its just a term so everyone knows what part you are talking about, cess, 4 foot, 6 foot, 10 foot etc.

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, Coppercap said:

The 'Tri-ang' packaged one has the same names as the original Tri-ang Railways 3-coach set. The 'standard' set has three new coach names not used before.

Yep that’s why I was talking about sets not specifically the limited one ;) 

I could have been clearer but meant different names in the two sets. 

I wonder if someone would have an answer to a quick question, as I noted there are already a couple of very small locos, which have been upgraded to DCC, recently.

I am looking to put a 6 pin Decoder into the new Hornby Rocket, when it arrives. I gather it has a 6 pin socket in the Barrel and I'm looking for slow running given the age of the loco it depicts.

I note the Lenz Silver might suffice, as 34C advises me that their drive elements in the Gold are the same. I also note the small ZN6D Zen from DCC Concepts has a small stay-alive, which might be useful, although I wouldn't know if that will fit in the Rocket Barrel, with the Decoder. I gather that Zimo have more controls than Lenz, but how much improvement that might give and which decoder from them I don't know.

I would be grateful for advice as to which decoder might be considered to be the most suitable.

NB. I only have one 6 pin Decoder and don't know what make it is, either way it's not into getting smooth running of one of DJM Austerity / J94 efforts {quite likely a Bachmann 6 pin one}, so experience of the type is short. I have yet to try some ideas to fix that one, with a number of posts already on the Forum.

Kind regards and thank you for reading.
Julian

35 minutes ago, jcredfer said:

I wonder if someone would have an answer to a quick question, as I noted there are already a couple of very small locos, which have been upgraded to DCC, recently.

I am looking to put a 6 pin Decoder into the new Hornby Rocket, when it arrives. I gather it has a 6 pin socket in the Barrel and I'm looking for slow running given the age of the loco it depicts.

I note the Lenz Silver might suffice, as 34C advises me that their drive elements in the Gold are the same. I also note the small ZN6D Zen from DCC Concepts has a small stay-alive, which might be useful, although I wouldn't know if that will fit in the Rocket Barrel, with the Decoder. I gather that Zimo have more controls than Lenz, but how much improvement that might give and which decoder from them I don't know.

I would be grateful for advice as to which decoder might be considered to be the most suitable.

NB. I only have one 6 pin Decoder and don't know what make it is, either way it's not into getting smooth running of one of DJM Austerity / J94 efforts {quite likely a Bachmann 6 pin one}, so experience of the type is short. I have yet to try some ideas to fix that one, with a number of posts already on the Forum.

Julian

As above noone really knows yet until someone has an actual model in their hands. 

The DJM models aren't the best to take a comparison off of, they have tiny coreless motors for a start which may explain the lack of smooth running. If the Hornby website is correct Rocket will have a 5 pole motor. 

2 hours ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

As above noone really knows yet until someone has an actual model in their hands. 

The DJM models aren't the best to take a comparison off of, they have tiny coreless motors for a start which may explain the lack of smooth running. If the Hornby website is correct Rocket will have a 5 pole motor. 

I gather some pre production models have been sent to a few chosen sellers, I might see if they have an answer to the location question.  Thanks for mentioning that, I will see if there is any known answer, from any of them.

Re. the Austerity, that was a bit of a red herring, to illustrate my lack of 6 pin knowledge.  I have seen information about their cordless motors, which you rightly refer to and some possible solutions.  I will perhaps learn some more when I get around to trying the proposed solutions.  Although not directly connected {because of the Coreless motor} there may be some information about 6 pin decoders on the Rocket subject which may be applicable, incidentally, to the Austerity, too.

Thank you for your reply

Regards

Julian

3 hours ago, jcredfer said:

Julian

I'd wait until it turns up just in case it is a 4 pin or requires a chip of very small dimensions.

2 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

Definitely not a 4 pin - Hornby seem to have acknowledged that was a Hornbyism of the worse variety. The question is how long before they fit the Sentinels and Pecketts 0-4-0s with a 6 pin socket and abandon the 4 pin.

A word with one of the dealers, yesterday confirmed it was a 6 pin and Hornby say it's in the Tender Barrel.  All very encouraging...   but the retailer suggested that it may be a Hornby type plugin one, which apparently might make it less than easy to fit other manufacturers decoders.  Does anyone have any information of what that may entail?

Regards

Julian

13 hours ago, jcredfer said:

A word with one of the dealers, yesterday confirmed it was a 6 pin and Hornby say it's in the Tender Barrel.  All very encouraging...   but the retailer suggested that it may be a Hornby type plugin one, which apparently might make it less than easy to fit other manufacturers decoders.  Does anyone have any information of what that may entail?

Regards

Julian

That would explain the previously discussed join in the barrel.

Edited by Coppercap

17 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

Engine Shed says Rocket will have newly designed chain link couplings. Wonder if they will be working ones in place of the tension lock. 

Can't see any NEM pockets fitted to it or nowhere to mount them to the back of the tender so one would assume its chain link only. The CAD renders certainly suggest no NEM mounted couplings

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On ‎27‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 15:04, Coppercap said:

Details of names confirmed in today's Engine Shed blog, although looking at the images of the two sets the text is too small to see any difference. Indeed the inserts look identical - I wonder if any will get into the wrong box?

Edited by brushman47544

15 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

Looking at the images in today's Engine Shed blog, I'm failing to see any difference between the two versions except the box. One production line, 1500 into a red box, the rest into a yellow one. Perhaps the insert is not the final version?

Not a lot of difference.

As you mentioned, the boxes are different. The coaches have different names.

1 hour ago, JohnR said:

This is the picture from the ENgine Shed blog that really made me go "wow!".

image.png.c008dec9ed1f944b157107861ae094e9.png

Cant help thinking that it would have been better if the tender barrel's end planking was horizontal. The split to gain access for a decoder would have been less obvious.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

For those interested in what might be in Hornby's Engine Shed, this is a link to it.

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/news/the-engine-shed/Hornby-2020-stephensons-rocket

It's also worth scrolling down to the pictures of the DCC decoder fitting.  It looks like they used a Hornby 6 pin, so the smaller ones should be even smaller.  It will need a harness to connect to the Hornby 6 pin socket.  A Zen with their small stay alive might just get in there, too.

Regards

Julian

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

If mine sneezes it's going back....

13 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

It shouldn't sneeze but it might wheeze

With a Global Health Emergency being declared it’s a little insensitive as people are actually dying from it, so before it gets out of hand with puns and jokes let’s be a bit more respectful like the Terrier thread? 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, jcredfer said:

For those interested in what might be in Hornby's Engine Shed, this is a link to it.

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/news/the-engine-shed/Hornby-2020-stephensons-rocket

It's also worth scrolling down to the pictures of the DCC decoder fitting.  It looks like they used a Hornby 6 pin, so the smaller ones should be even smaller.  It will need a harness to connect to the Hornby 6 pin socket.  A Zen with their small stay alive might just get in there, too.

Regards

Julian

So......where does the speaker fit? :D