Bachmann announce Class 69 in OO and N.

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, mdvle said:

Given that yesterday's video on the Class 47 indicated that it had been started about 3 years ago if I recall correctly (and note I'm not saying that the Class 69 will take 3 years - the 69 is a much simpler project from a research and tooling perspective given the lack of variations and the current prototype design document availability) it would be a reasonable guess that the Class 69 will have similar level of detail/accuracy.

As noted by others in the Class 47 thread, Bachmann apparently has decided high end detail is where the market is for them going forward.

Good point on the tooling variation. Yes it certainly seems so. If I'm honest that high end detail, though expensive is what's driven me to get back into the hobby.

14 minutes ago, AMJ said:

Without checking the dimensions of wheelbase etc I wonder if the new 47 and 69 will share some components.  If so this will speed up the development time scales.

I would doubt it.  While (per Wikipedia) the 56/69 and 47 are only 1" different in length everything else is very different - particularly given that Bachmann is now doing internal engine compartment details so that it isn't just a plain block anymore.

1 hour ago, AMJ said:

Without checking the dimensions of wheelbase etc I wonder if the new 47 and 69 will share some components.  If so this will speed up the development time scales.

As mdvle says, I also think it is unlikely.

But what I do think is that if it's as feature filled as the new 47 it will be a belter.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, AMJ said:

Body screws, couplings, maybe gears ?

i’m not sure theres much else in common.

Given Bachmann completely retooled for the HAP, instead of using the trailer of the 205 and motor coach of the EPB, (which is the same thing as a HAP) for what is marginal demand as a model.. i’d doubt they’d cut corners, especially considering what the new 47 looks like in detail.

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Well, I for one really hope they do this one:

Pic is on Flickr, not mine

I liked the RTC livery and I thought it sat well on everything that carried it, but somehow the 69 doesn't suit it in my opinion. It may just be those enormous GBRf logos!

Roy

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, rob D2 said:

oh , that sucks .

too much  block colour and a scheme they never wore . Now transrail dutch would have been better 

To be pedantic, 69s have never worn any livery before the past  year or two.....

However, fingers crossed for you, there are rumours of other heritage liveries on later locos

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1

Actually i'm wondering if we will ever see the three shadow freight companies or EWS on a loco like this - probably not as DB still own all the rights to those brands .

Cant see GB asking a competitor for permission , probably why we see BR and trainload liveries from before the sell off 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Actually i'm wondering if we will ever see the three shadow freight companies or EWS on a loco like this - probably not as DB still own all the rights to those brands .

Cant see GB asking a competitor for permission , probably why we see BR and trainload liveries from before the sell off 

But, 37240 is in Transrail livery and is owned by Colas AFAIK. So maybe not a problem?

19 hours ago, TomScrut said:

6 more to go! Not one has been the same yet.

I think it is twelve more to go Tom. I believe GBRf are going for the full sixteen as I think there are 69001-69016 in TOPS system and have read it elsewhere. I imagine there will be the usual suspects but maybe without the logos, but also a Dutch and a railfreight red stripe, even maybe the livery that those few 31/4s got - 31405 31420 31422 etc.  A totally impractical livery would be black and silver like the "kerosene castle" and the Ivatts.    

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Covkid said:

think it is twelve more to go Tom. I believe GBRf are going for the full sixteen

Ah right, for some reason I had 10 in my head....

32 minutes ago, Covkid said:

also a Dutch and a railfreight red stripe

Dutch would be good, I wish somebody would put a 37 in it on the mainline (I know 250 is in it in Wensleydale).

• RMweb Gold

Just got a late tip off, that it run its first revenue service tonight…

ran out with the mobile…caught it on a trainload of brand new Network Rail FEAs from Dollands Moor to Eastleigh, at Purley Oaks.

96B7F2E6-7652-406E-AF0F-88C50DB44550.jpeg

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 4
  • Round of applause 2