Captain Electra

Hornby Class 423 4-VEP

I thought I'd re-open an old topic, having just bought one of these off Ebay, a "new" R2946 BFYP example. Thanks to the previous 76 pages, which I've skip read, I now know what the faults are, and I'll have to decide to what extent I try to correct them. Turning the bogies round to face the right way looks a no-brainer, less sure about the other issues. It would be nice to try to fit the motor bogie in the brake end of the MBSO.

Like all little boys, I couldn't resist coupling the coaches up (warts and all) for a spin on my layout. This is continuous run with two levels, so gradients which work out around 1 in 57 for about 16 feet of run. Having rotated the wheels in the bogies, I was a bit worried about the lack of free running without pin point axles, however the unit climbed the grades without problem, perhaps a slight slowdown but nothing really discernible. Slow running seems very good on my DC set-up.

The quality of finish is excellent, although we rather take that forgranted now. Having carefully marked the window frames of two Hornby 110's with a silver liner a while back, so six coaches, I do appreciate the crispness of finish on these models. I wouldn't have liked to have paid £200 plus for this with its faults, the likely price of any new release, but at under £100 delivered to my door I feel it's a real bargain.

John.

Edited by John Tomlinson
  • Like 1

The bogies are easy to address. Unclip, turn round and put back. There are no electrical wires on these.

The only hard part are the end pair. You need to pull off the reluctant guard irons and glue it to the other end of the bogie.

Not sure I would faff around with MBSO though with all that complex wiring.

Edited by JSpencer
  • Thanks 1

It's not too hard to sort out the DTC interiors either to allow for a see through corridor....

• Thanks 1

Has anyone looked at whether MJT ends would be an improvement on the Hornby effort, or even just the gangway part of the MJT end?

19 minutes ago, robertcwp said:

Has anyone looked at whether MJT ends would be an improvement on the Hornby effort, or even just the gangway part of the MJT end?

I've looked into it. I wouldn't bother with changing the cab end but changing the gangway seemed to a sensible thing. It should also be possible to cut the piece behind the gangway and bring it forward, but I think the MJT gangway route would be easier and better.

Luke

There was talk of  some using the Kernow/Bachmann 4TC spare end connection doors to improve the appearance of the 4VEP gangways but I believe it was only speculation.

Griff