Warley NEC 2010

Penlan

...although some editing was done later, so where there are now only one or two in the member's posts, think in terms of lines of clapping smileys originally... :angry: :rolleyes: ;)

I will be there myself this year for a change... :blink: just on the Saturday, usually hiding around the back of Pattingham most of the time... B)

A very welcome addition to the operating team as it means that we may actually be able to see some of the show for a change. :D

Mike

post-185-033670500 1286523659_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

I will be there Friday am helping to deliver tables etc and then helping with Herculaneum Dock. Mike might put a photo on of the Overhead Railway - which should be operating at the show (HINT)

I'll be there on one day or the other. By then I'll be ensconsed in a flat literally a two minute walk from New Street so, just for once, getting there won't be too much hassle. At least compared with the last four years where it was best part of three hours and two changes to get there from Bath.

Well, I'm definitely planning to be there, probably on the Sunday as parking is easier. Hopefully see some of you there; if anyone needs an extra hand operating anything then I'd be happy to do a stint!

I'm expecting to spend a fair bit at the traders, too - I've been finishing off emptying boxes and putting things away after our house move a few weeks ago, and I've finally reached the point where the study contains.... an empty workbench on which the layout will sit! So by the time I get to Warley I should have a baseboard in place and the beginnings of a track plan laid out, and plenty of ideas about what I want to stick on it.

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

I'll be there helping to operate the High Wycombe & District Model Railway society's 'OO' Hinton Parva Layout!

Looking forward to the exhibitors lunchs mostly :D

Simon

Like Simon I will also be there with with Hinton Parva this year, hopefully unlike last year when I was there with my own Fisherton Sarum I might get to see the whole of the rest of the show this time.

More information about Hinton Parva can be found on the HW&DMRS website here and images in the sites gallery here. There is also a further article about to appear in the November issue of BRM magazine and will be at the Peterborough Show this coming weekend.

This year will be the first time since 1994 or thereabouts that I have not had to pay to get in, as I shall be helping to move, set up, run, take down and move Harton Gill.

I can't compete with Chris Nevard for photos:

Harton Gill photos on Warley Exhibition site

It will also be the first time operating with my new specs on - wonder if it will be easier to see those three-link couplings...

I will be their both days and vising the LG Arena the day before to see A-HA so I am making a week end of it and to save on the parking (should be £30) for the week end. I am also trying to break my curse and I with the 3 O'clock fire alarm so I am staying at a different hotel. I will be stay in Brigham city center so I get to travel on the train. I hope to make the meet up both days but last year I when I lost my mind and thought that the meet time was a later than it was.

Are their a plan a foot for free drinks again :D

Richard

PS I will wear yellow T-shirts Like normal

Looking forward to being there for both days this year. Might even make one of the meets and even see some of layouts for a change.

Hi Chris,

If you get the chance please stop by PICTURE THIS and say hi to the owner Brian Wilson, he's one of the members of Uckfield MRC.

Kev

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, I have to agree that the trains seem to be getting more and more difficult, last years visit was knocked on the head when the round trip was buses and trains would have taken 8 hours out of the day!

For various reasons, I've only been able to do "Warley" once - and that was more than a decade ago.

Now that I'm able to make this year's show, I'm glad it's starting to sound good already.

I kept returning to Penlan at Cardiff the other year - must be something about LNWR carriages - and the layout itself looked good too - so I'm looking forward to seeing it again.

I also like seeing decent overseas stuff (and NG, for that matter).

As for the sound and lights, I've never done DCC (cost means I'm not likely to any time soon) but I still find this stuff fascinating - could have something to do with my electrical / electronic background.

I'm looking forward to seeing all this stuff - and more.

I'd like to say that I can reasonably use the trains to get to "Warley" every year. I'd also like to say that I can afford the fares - that the timetables work out well for me - that I can leave (and return to) my local station at a sensible time and still get a full day at the NEC - that my journeys don't involve loads of changes in each direction, with sprints for connections at some stations and long waits at others - or that I can always rely on none of the trains I pay to travel on facing ridiculous diversions or being replaced by station to station buses that don't connect properly with the trains at both ends of their run.

Well, I'd like to say all these things - but I'm not going to. I can't.

This might sound like a moan-fest. It isn't meant to be, but this is a fair reflection of how it's been for me:

For me, this show hasn't been workable for the last 10 years. OK, I've had a few one-off commitments on some "Warley weekends", but the trains have been the real "killer" for all the other years.

I've been prevented from going - through all the above issues, in a range of combinations. It might just be a coincidence but, a number of years, I found that not only were the tracks knocked out on the most obvious route, but they were also out on the other credible one at the same time. Because there's no direct line between where I live and Birmingham International (and different parts of the journey are run by different companies), I wasn't able to get APEX fares. Even if I had been able to, they wouldn't have been much use to me, as there were so many changes that I couldn't guarantee which train I'd be on by the end of the journey.

In other words, for me, it was the stuff of dreams - nightmares.

This year, things have changed. I've already been using Megabus for the last few years, to get to London - and I'm delighted with them. Now, they've also started running from my part of the world to Birmingham Airport - affordable - no changes - and there's even a monorail from the airport to the rail station and NEC. I tried it out last week - for an instrumentation show - and it worked like a charm. I'll be using it again.

I hope Mr. Souter keeps running those blue coaches - I think they're great.

• RMweb Premium

As for the sound and lights, I've never done DCC (cost means I'm not likely to any time soon) but I still find this stuff fascinating - could have something to do with my electrical / electronic background.

Plenty of DCC sound and lights on Blackmill - stand F13.

Van booked today - hope I get the big VW Crafter that I took to Barrow Hill MRL!

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Will be going on Saturday, would have gone both days but have to pick my wife up at Heathrow, she has been away 3 months so cant really not pick her up. Have got a growing list of things to look out for. Only loco on the list is a Pug! but I am sure there will be plenty of temptations, just a matter of looking for the best bargains. Hope to meet some of the RMWeb people and put names/faces to Avatars.

• RMweb Gold

Clearly something going on that weekend as daughter's attempts yesterday to reserve us some seats from Reading to international on the Saturday morning was a total failure 'train fully booked' - not the Clothes Show Live clashing again I hoperolleyes.gif.

Anyway we will persevere and stand if necessary - provided if course that we can actually get onto the train (we could always go via London I s'pose).

• RMweb Premium

Clearly something going on that weekend as daughter's attempts yesterday to reserve us some seats from Reading to International on the Saturday morning was a total failure 'train fully booked' - not the Clothes Show Live clashing again I hope

No such luck :D

Several events also on at the same time but it looks like they are all in the newer part of the NEC and if travelling by car then I guess that they will probably get diverted to other car parks. Information from http://www.necgroup.co.uk/whatson/november.htm

Design and Technology Education Show (Hall 10)

Festive Gift Fair (Hall 12)

The Memorabilia Show (Hall 9)

Supreme Cat Show (Halls 6 & 7)

Mike

EDIT What I should have said is to check the dates for the above events - some end on Saturday :rolleyes:

.......Festive Gift Fair (Hall 12)

The Memorabilia Show (Hall 9)

Supreme Cat Show (Halls 6 & 7)

Don't let my wife see this, if she does that's another passenger I will have bring....

and all the complications that will cause - do you really need another pint? ..... you know I don't like Curry.....

it's raining..... can we stop at the next services, and again.......

remembering too it's about 5.5 hours journey home from NEC on a Good day/night, without stopping.

Won't be there - I'm working. I'm not too sad at that - I know that it's a large show with plenty of traders and layouts, but it's the NEC and the hall that really gets me. I will be at Wycrail and Wigan this year and am planning visits to Stoneleigh and Stafford for next, along with ExpoEM and RailEx. And of course our own meetups, as many as I can get to.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like I'm getting there about mid morning Friday and not leaving until late Sunday!

Hope to be able to get to both meets but depends on how busy you lot keep me on the Gaugemaster stand!!No RMWeb badge (yet) but I guess I'll be the only one wearing other Society badges!

• RMweb Gold

I will be working on the Wild Swan stand so come and say hello, we have some rather nice new releases that we hope to swap for cash or cheques!

David

Is the WS book on the 'Kingsbridge Branch' ready for publication yet ?

Archived