Hornby Sentinel - including cranked version

Southernman46

My new NCB Sentinel was put through its paces at the Kendal MRC show last weekend on Eskmuir. It is certainly very smooth when kept clean. The only minor hiccup was the pickups seemed to slip \ become dislodged from the wheel rims. With the wheels being metal tyres rims on a plastic centre boss, this meant big problems trying to run. A tweak with tweasers sorted it out and the resulting video is attached here from YouTube. The loco then ran faultlessly for several hours over the 2 day show. Very impressed.

Edited by black and decker boy
  • Like 6

The second batch originally flagged up for today, 27th Jan, are now showing as 24th or end February :umbrage:

So my first foray into smelly dieselly type things will have to wait a bit longer.................. :resent:

on the Ultrascale site.. http://www.ultrascale.com/

Ultrascale have said the following

Due to the limited space between the frames on this model a standard conversion to either EM or 18.83 is not possible with a 'Drop-in' wheel set without moving the frames out. However, we have been able to produce a 'Drop-in' conversion for EM by producing a wheel with a tyre width of 0.076". This new EM tyre we are calling EMF(F) and has allowed us to produce a conversion that fits without the need to move out the frames or modify the brake gear or other detail.

So, looks like the wont even be tempted to make a P4 wheel for it.

A post on Scalefour forum suggests using Alan Gibson 3' L&Y Pug wheels on 3mm axles. Seems to work but the outside frames will need to be taken off and gluing further out, maybe a bit shaved off the back as well.

Bought one on Saturday from DC Kits. The only one I could find in the entire show. Fortunately it was the one I wanted - the NCB one. Runs like a dream! I'd bought the Hornby 4pin chip in advance from Peters Spares and fitted it on Sunday and it still rund beautifully. Looking forward now to the article in the next Hornby magazine. I understand it will show how to fit sound. Trevor

• Like 1

Any updates on the arrival of the Tarmac version? Also what do they run like on insulated frogs?

My ESSO one seem to run fine over Peco insulated frogs, but not at the extremely lowest at speeds though (which is unbelievably slow :jester: ).

I finally managed to get an esso one the other day, been wanting one since they were announced. There used to be one at the esso oil terminal at Bowling. I used to pass it every day on the train to Glasgow. I found a couple of photos of it here's one http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/img/s1/v21/p26199011-3.jpg my plan is to repaint mine to match repainting is made easier since there is no lining to worry about although masking off the sentinal plate is going to be a swine cab roof will need painted black.

Any suggestions as to where I can get an esso transfer of approximately the right size? And does anyone make sentinal transfers? Just in case I make a mistake.

• RMweb Gold

Ultrascale have now updated, with better news,  as regards P4 conversion:

http://www.ultrascale.com/node/37

Fingers crossed although there will always be other ways of doing it.

I enquired with Ultrascale last week, whether the wheelsets they were showing on their website were now in production, as I wanted to get a set for myself and also for Re6/6. I was pleasantly surprised when David Rogers wrote back, asking if I'd trial one of the 18/83 (F) sets. These arrived during the week and I fitted them tonight - a very quick and straightforward job. Here's the loco running on 'Callow Lane':

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium

I accidentally bought one of these the other day, Not easy to find, but managed to get one from Amazon of all places!  Very nice little model, certainly worth the £46.98 it cost me!

• RMweb Premium

Hi folks,

Have to agree with all the positive comments about this one.  My layout uses small radius insulfrog points and I have no trouble with running at reasonably slow speeds.

Just looking forward to the arrival of the green one, and then to see what Hornby do with it in 2015's catalogue!

Regards,

Alex.

The Sentinel would make a good Train Pack/Starter Set locomotive, especially if Hornby packaged it with a rake of appropriate wagons for the loco. And for once, it wouldn't be as cringeworthy as their usual 0-4-0 starter sets! (The "Pennine Express" set, for example???)

As of writing, Amazon have 2 NCB Sentinels at 55 quid and 2 Tarmac Sentinels at 48 quid.  The Esso one is sold out.  I'm soooo tempted.

And as PhilJ said, a plain unmarked one would be a useful addition to the range.

• RMweb Premium

As of writing, Amazon have 2 NCB Sentinels at 55 quid and 2 Tarmac Sentinels at 48 quid.  The Esso one is sold out.  I'm soooo tempted.

Where did Amazon get them from, I wonder? The weathered one isn't even available from UK retailers or the Hornby website. And as an experiment I tried and could have ordered one to be delivered to me in Portugal, so how does that sit with the confusion over the new Hornby business terms and UK retailers supposedly not shipping overseas?

Where did Amazon get them from, I wonder? The weathered one isn't even available from UK retailers or the Hornby website. And as an experiment I tried and could have ordered one to be delivered to me in Portugal, so how does that sit with the confusion over the new Hornby business terms and UK retailers supposedly not shipping overseas?

Don't think there is any confusion about shipping abroad just someone jumping the gun without the full facts.

Does seem a bit strange about the tarmac version though. I couldn't find if it was listed by another retailer it appears to listed by Amazon themselves.

• RMweb Premium

Hi again,

Further to the above comments I had a look on Amazon just now and they had one NCB loco left (at full RRP); I must admit ot not having seen Amazon sell these themselves although I have seen model railway items on sale form other vendors.  In another 'flight of fantasy' the same advert shows them as having been available from July 2013!

(See: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hornby-Gauge-Sentinel-Industrial-Shunter/dp/B00EE8RX36/ref=sr_1_2?s=kids&ie=UTF8&qid=1392149255&sr=1-2&keywords=Hornby+sentinel)

Again, I think it's a great model.  Just hoping they don't wait too long before releasing a rod-driven one.

To pick up on the starter-set idea (with suitable wagons), I think it could be a serious contender alongside the more serious Bachmann sets.  I wonder if supplying the model on its own in unpainted grey would be a first for the UK market (although I believe it's fairly common in the US)?

Regards,

Alex.

I haver also been lucky to trial an Ultrascale conversion on the new Sentinel. After a false start due to my cackhandedness, the result it an impressive running loco which will make the debut of Kirkmellington at Risex in 2 weeks time even sweeter.

A short video of the EM gauge Sentinel shuttling up and down the layout

Thanks to Ultrascale for the wheelsets.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Don't think there is any confusion about shipping abroad just someone jumping the gun without the full facts.

Does seem a bit strange about the tarmac version though. I couldn't find if it was listed by another retailer it appears to listed by Amazon themselves.

Agreed, I think people might well be jumping in without the full facts, or mis-reading what has been said, about that, and I don't see how Hornby could realistically enforce such a policy anyway - its up to a retailer where they deliver to.  But that's beside the point here really.  I just looked on Amazon, there is still one NCB one left, at full price - I thought it was odd too, as I hadn't seen the green ones anywhere else, but at the same time, wasn't hanging about either, not at that price.  Strangely, they didn't have either of the other two listed when I bought mine; I'd actually have preferred the NCB one - and might have to invest in one too at some point!