Bachmann announce Mk2f's

newbryford

So they were used only in Scotland during BR times?

Maybe not quite....

https://sisuktrainpix.smugmug.com/ClassbyClass/Class-86/Class-86-1/i-wkzZgZD/A

The DBSO fleet then migrated to Anglia from around 1989 as new Class 158s displaced the push-pulls, and was used with Mk2s and Class 86/2s until around 2003 when the fleet was replaced by Class 90 + Mk3 + DVT displaced and cascaded from Virgin West Coast.

Heljan really could capitalise on their Class 86 with the appearance of this model.

Edited by 'CHARD
  • Like 2

Maybe not quite....

The DBSO fleet then migrated to Anglia from around 1989 as new Class 158s displaced the push-pulls, and was used with Mk2s and Class 86/2s until around 2003 when the fleet was replaced by Class 90 + Mk3 + DVT displaced and cascaded from Virgin West Coast.

Heljan really could capitalise on their Class 86 with the appearance of this model.

Should we expect to see a intercity liveried version then? EDIT, found it here.

Unfortunately Heljan have announced the 86/0 which is inappropriate for this.

Edited by lyneux

• RMweb Gold

Did the 90s ever work with the old stock or were they just the mk3s?

Yes, picture 5 here shows blue / grey mk2’s, other pictures with intercity mk2’s.

https://mark-beal-tmd.smugmug.com/RetrospectiveRail/Retrospective-Class-90/i-rPmsZ9h

Ive ridden behind a 90 on Manchester - Birminghams, via Stafford with mk2 aircons on a few occasions, not just Intercity 90’s : RES, Railfreight and Mainline ones, later Virgin ones

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium

quicky - does anybody have a BSO (dcc on board) in their possession?  would love to see some pics and does it light up in a similar way to the DBSO (minus the cab light) with passenger and guards cabins on separate functions or that just either on or off? 

(Im aware they all have the tail lamps and blanking plates)

Better late than never. Picked up my ScotRail DBSO's yesterday so while packing them away, took the opportunity to take some pics of the BSO.

As previously stated, the Guards and Passenger compartments can be turned on/off independently of each other. The guards compartment is stunning when illuminated, with the cages/ bars etc showing up clearly.

post-22167-0-90600200-1543520571_thumb.jpg

post-22167-0-58982300-1543520589_thumb.jpg

post-22167-0-91498800-1543520606_thumb.jpg

post-22167-0-02898400-1543520628_thumb.jpg

post-22167-0-82094200-1543520647_thumb.jpg

Edited by Scottish-Exile
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Maybe not quite....

I think the question is posed about the DBSOs in as built for Scottish push-pull services.

They were modified (removal of corridor being the main physical difference and changes to the control system) before being used on Anglia services.

Cheers,

Mick

Better late than never. Picked up my ScotRail DBSO's yesterday so while packing them away, took the opportunity to take some pics of the BSO.

As previously stated, the Guards and Passenger compartments can be turned on/off independently of each other. The guards compartment is stunning when illuminated, with the cages/ bars etc showing up clearly.

attachicon.gifIMG_20181129_185601.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20181129_185624.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20181129_185649.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20181129_185702.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20181129_185527.jpg

Thanks for posting these photos. Very nice interior in the bso

Bachmann have done such a pro job on the lighting.  so they got it right first time no need to rework it.

6 functions too on the RFB!

I have 2 on the way a BSO and a TSO both in blue and grey so will load up photos here tomorrow.

I have a great idea for a small 4ft diorama too to stage these coaches and some AC electrics on with a bit of catenary until such time as I can plan a layout.

where can I buy LMR lattice 1960s/1970s style gantries from ?   probably 3 track span as the masts will be platform mounted over a 2 track scene..

Bachmann have done such a pro job on the lighting.  so they got it right first time no need to rework it.

>> Really, but the lighting flickers ! see above posts - that could have been easily avoided if a stay alive capacitor had been included in the circuit..........

Edited by tractor_37260

• RMweb Gold

where can I buy LMR lattice 1960s/1970s style gantries from ?   probably 3 track span as the masts will be platform mounted over a 2 track scene..

NBrass produce some WCML style portals that I’ve used for my layout and can thoroughly recommend them. https://www.nbrasslocos.co.uk/oocat.html

I do like the Bachmann Mark 2F’s and bought a few more at Warley last weekend to create another rake for my layout. I’ve bought the non-light fitted version but am going to fit my own lights to keep me amused over the winter months, but fitted with a stay alive pcb that I’ve found on EBay at a reasonable price. I’ve already fitted them to a Mark 2F and it’s really handy that Bachmann have provided decent wheel pickups.

• RMweb Gold

they flicker - is it not picking up from all wheels?

No - I didn’t say the flicker ... and so far, no sign of any flickering.

The main reason I fitted them with a stay alive pcb/capacitor is that my layout is currently DC only and the module I found on EBay keeps the lights on for several minutes after the power is turned off, ideal for station/signal stops etc. It has also worked out at least £10 per coach cheaper than buying the light-fitted DCC version.

No - I didn’t say the flicker ... and so far, no sign of any flickering.

The main reason I fitted them with a stay alive pcb/capacitor is that my layout is currently DC only and the module I found on EBay keeps the lights on for several minutes after the power is turned off, ideal for station/signal stops etc. It has also worked out at least £10 per coach cheaper than buying the light-fitted DCC version.

no- I was responding to another member - Tractor_37260.. 

they flicker - is it not picking up from all wheels?

Yes they do - but there's still a flickering issue due to the lack of a stay alive capacitor - see post #1062 and other YouTube clips  - the reason that some go to the expense of fitting stay alive to locos, and some of those have 12 wheel pick-up ! 

This might have been covered already but I've just been looking at my collection of mk2 wiring schematics and the lighting in the bso/dbso is technically wrong. When the saloon lights come on, 50% of the van end lighting should also (as a means for passengers to walk past the cage and into the next coach). The other 50% is a manual switch to light the cage side.

The guards comp is the only part to be completely independent of the rest, and shouldn't control both the guard comp and van end together.

Yes they do - but there's still a flickering issue due to the lack of a stay alive capacitor - see post #1062 and other YouTube clips  - the reason that some go to the expense of fitting stay alive to locos, and some of those have 12 wheel pick-up ! 

I'm not sure why there should be a flickering issue. I have 11 on them on my layout now and not one of them flickers anywhere on the layout, even over complicated pointwork. And that's after spraying the bogies with Railmatch aerosols and applying weathering powder. 

Maybe there's an issue with the pickups on your particular batch somehow? You could maybe try removing the wheels and giving them, the axles and the axleboxes a good clean? Whatever the problem, I don't think it's the lack of a capacitor that's causing your problem, not based on my experience at least. Are you using points with dead frogs? I guess that could be another issue for some.

This might have been covered already but I've just been looking at my collection of mk2 wiring schematics and the lighting in the bso/dbso is technically wrong. When the saloon lights come on, 50% of the van end lighting should also (as a means for passengers to walk past the cage and into the next coach). The other 50% is a manual switch to light the cage side.

The guards comp is the only part to be completely independent of the rest, and shouldn't control both the guard comp and van end together.

Another product improvement task for the winter months  :angel:

wow I thought I was obsessed by the detail of lighting.  technically I guess you are indeed right and as the dbso had additional functions you would think that the bso could have been wired as you suggest for the same costs.   but to me not having separate corriodor lighting to the cage isn't really an issue that I would notice or choose to play with on the layout.  most of the time the coaches will be running past in a blurry blaze of light.

Their main usage was on the Glasgow QS - Edinburgh Push-Pull Express Services, they were also used on Glasgow QS - Aberdeen services.

That is most interesting! I know nothing about the BR days (well a few things around livery application etc), but interesting that the Blue/Grey DBSO is restrained to mainly Edinburgh-Glasgow. We are always told manufactures choose models which have 'great' geographical appeal. Thus surely, Bachmann should have started with the Network Rail DBSOs or DRSs seen across the country? Then at a later stage added the corridor connection.... Oh well, the model looks fantastic and I patiently await a modern livery - Bachmann if you are listening!! 

I'm not sure why there should be a flickering issue. I have 11 on them on my layout now and not one of them flickers anywhere on the layout, even over complicated pointwork. And that's after spraying the bogies with Railmatch aerosols and applying weathering powder. 

Maybe there's an issue with the pickups on your particular batch somehow? You could maybe try removing the wheels and giving them, the axles and the axleboxes a good clean? Whatever the problem, I don't think it's the lack of a capacitor that's causing your problem, not based on my experience at least. Are you using points with dead frogs? I guess that could be another issue for some.

It's possible it could just be a batch problem, or perhaps being used over dead frogs etc, which wouldn't be an issue had a SA capacitor been included in the circuit , others are having problems also........see below.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/139987-Bachmann-mk2f-br-blue-and-grey-with-lights/

That is most interesting! I know nothing about the BR days (well a few things around livery application etc), but interesting that the Blue/Grey DBSO is restrained to mainly Edinburgh-Glasgow. We are always told manufactures choose models which have 'great' geographical appeal. Thus surely, Bachmann should have started with the Network Rail DBSOs or DRSs seen across the country? Then at a later stage added the corridor connection.... Oh well, the model looks fantastic and I patiently await a modern livery - Bachmann if you are listening!! 

It is quite a narrow geographical area they will have been used in (excluding test trains or charter use away from their main routes), but they will have been the prestige trains of the time within Scotland. Had an entirely separate coach have needed tooling up, I doubt it would have been done, but there will have been a lot to re-use with Bachmann tooling up the Mk 2F BSO at the same time.

I'm assuming Bachmann wont have used tooling which they were intending modifying permanently such that they'd be producing the corridor connection ones first and not being able to produce corridor connected ones at a later date, but it is possible

It is quite a narrow geographical area they will have been used in (excluding test trains or charter use away from their main routes), but they will have been the prestige trains of the time within Scotland. Had an entirely separate coach have needed tooling up, I doubt it would have been done, but there will have been a lot to re-use with Bachmann tooling up the Mk 2F BSO at the same time.

I'm assuming Bachmann wont have used tooling which they were intending modifying permanently such that they'd be producing the corridor connection ones first and not being able to produce corridor connected ones at a later date, but it is possible

Recall reading somewhere the DBSO was designed with changeable tooling inserts to allow for the later versions to be produced in the future, it would make commercial sense......... 

Recall reading somewhere the DBSO was designed with changeable tooling inserts to allow for the later versions to be produced in the future, it would make commercial sense......... 

that would definitely make sense. it does seem odd now the question has been raised about the blue and grey DBSO being produced first, even going to the length of making the gangway door cover removable for the earliest years